Author Topic: Bought a Jetta TDI W/Nav package  (Read 128207 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Bought a Jetta TDI W/Nav package
« Reply #200 on: January 09, 2012, 04:44:07 AM »
I drove out to the mountains today in my Prius and got about 52mpg.  Haven't spent any time waxing or washing it unless you count that rainstorm we had about a week ago..

You like that Prius Jim? Is it fun to drive? Is it peppy?    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #201 on: January 09, 2012, 05:08:48 AM »
You like that Prius Jim? Is it fun to drive? Is it peppy?    ;)

235k + miles...I would say yes, I do like it.  It's peppy if you stomp it with the batteries charged.  Not charged, as in going up a steep mountain for a bit and getting close to the top....not so much.  Ahhh but that long downhill glide charges the batteries back up again and I'm good to go.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #202 on: January 09, 2012, 05:11:08 AM »
I didn't know that you had that many miles on her Jim, what year is it?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #203 on: January 09, 2012, 05:41:18 AM »
2005 bought in Nov 2004.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #204 on: January 09, 2012, 06:00:07 AM »
I didn't know that you had that many miles on her Jim, what year is it?

Lots of frequent "smiter" miles. 

;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #205 on: January 09, 2012, 06:01:29 AM »
 :)

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #206 on: January 20, 2012, 09:51:31 PM »
I'm at 1500 miles already, I will say I noticed an improvement on my return trip mpg wise.  I did read up on the trailer, I think I may have the car fit with a hitch and find or buil a MC specific trailer so I can haul either the KLR or YZ, I'm getting ready to be certified as a dirt bike instructor so I don't want to leave either bike at the property, I may make the trailer big enough for 2 bikes.  Jim, would that count as a farkle?

I went to the Audi / Volkswagen / Porsche dealer tonight before work and test drove the Audi 3. I am sooo impressed with the performance of the TDI,
and the build of the Audi, but the roof line is just a little low for me.. So I sat in a Jetta, same problem. Sat in a Passat, wow! I fit just fine, and it was loaded,
so I asked what the tow rating is, and it is zero.. Not recommended for the Passat or the Jetta or the Audi 3. So, they put great torquey engines in these
autos, and you can't even tow a m/c trailer with it? I am bummed, but after looking under the rear, I realized that the frame rails that a hitch would normally
bolt up to are not there..No place to bolt a hitch anywhere. So, it looks like I'm down to the Toyota Rav4, and the Subaru Outback 3.6r. Checked out
the '12 Honda CRV, but I just don't trust that 4 banger gas to pull a trailer uphill..
Good luck gents with your newly found fuel misers.
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #207 on: January 20, 2012, 10:24:56 PM »
I went to the Audi / Volkswagen / Porsche dealer tonight before work and test drove the Audi 3. I am sooo impressed with the performance of the TDI,
and the build of the Audi, but the roof line is just a little low for me.. So I sat in a Jetta, same problem. Sat in a Passat, wow! I fit just fine, and it was loaded,
so I asked what the tow rating is, and it is zero.. Not recommended for the Passat or the Jetta or the Audi 3. So, they put great torquey engines in these
autos, and you can't even tow a m/c trailer with it? I am bummed, but after looking under the rear, I realized that the frame rails that a hitch would normally
bolt up to are not there..No place to bolt a hitch anywhere. So, it looks like I'm down to the Toyota Rav4, and the Subaru Outback 3.6r. Checked out
the '12 Honda CRV, but I just don't trust that 4 banger gas to pull a trailer uphill..

To bad VW isn't putting the TDI in the Tiguan (at least in the US).

Sounds like you want Japanese (or German), but what about the Ford Edge?  30 mpg with the 2.0 ecoboost is pretty hard to beat in a decent looking small SUV/crossover.  It also has a 3500 lb tow capacity.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #208 on: January 20, 2012, 10:44:13 PM »
Hitch kits are available for the Jetta, I'm having one installed next month, it will be used to pull a three rail MC trailer.  I'll also get her chipped for the two passes I wil pass through.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #209 on: January 21, 2012, 06:59:45 AM »

I know nothing of the A3 but the Jettas have a tow rating of 2k and 1k, gasser and TDI respectively. The TDIs can certainly tow more than they are ratted for but I think that VW is covering themselves because of the emissions stuff on the TDI, the DPF mainly.

The build quality on the Jetta is top notch!

I drove the Jetta in a snow storm yesterday for the first time and it did well. The traction control works great, as does the ABS.    :o

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #210 on: January 22, 2012, 12:40:40 PM »
To bad VW isn't putting the TDI in the Tiguan (at least in the US).

Sounds like you want Japanese (or German), but what about the Ford Edge?  30 mpg with the 2.0 ecoboost is pretty hard to beat in a decent looking small SUV/crossover.  It also has a 3500 lb tow capacity.

After reading your post, I went to the Ford dealer, sat in the Edge, and the roof line is too low, same with the Escape. I do fit in the Explorer, but the price jumps. What I would pay for a fairly stripped down model, I could get a loaded Rav4 or Outback, basically same ratings.

I know nothing of the A3 but the Jettas have a tow rating of 2k and 1k, gasser and TDI respectively. The TDIs can certainly tow more than they are ratted for but I think that VW is covering themselves because of the emissions stuff on the TDI, the DPF mainly.

The build quality on the Jetta is top notch!

I drove the Jetta in a snow storm yesterday for the first time and it did well. The traction control works great, as does the ABS.    :o
The salesman told me that the Jetta would be too small for me, and it didn't tow.. So now that you all are informing me that it will tow, I'm going back to see
if I can fit. Fingers crossed, 'cause I really like that TDI..
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline Conrad

« Reply #211 on: March 21, 2012, 02:36:14 PM »
Hey Chet,

How's that Jetta doing? It's been about 3 months now and mine is just great. Now that the weather is warming up nicely I'm seeing some really good mpg numbers, approaching 50 on the highway. My wife is driving it mostly now since I'm on the bike.

Did you get a free 3 month Sirius radio trial with yours? I did and just got a call from them. I talked them into giving me a 3 month subscription, music only, for $11 total price. The rep said that I should call them back before the 3 months is up and do the same thing again. For that price I'll do it but not more than that.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #212 on: March 21, 2012, 10:33:32 PM »
Well, 6500 miles and no issues, other then my 6000 miles service-it wasnt, it was a simple checkup, which was done when I had the foglight replaced.  Going 10000 miles on the first oil change?  Not me, I didn't like 6000 miles.  I will be finding some oil and a filter this weekend for my piece of mind.  Other then what I feel is lousy customer service from the service department I am loving the car, weather hasn't warmed up here but I am getting an average of around 42 mpg and 47 on longer trips.  I have managed 607 on a tank of fuel, included 2 1/2 passes (Tiger mountain is kinda a pass) each way.  Next month I will be getting the hitch installed for hauling around the bikes (Dirtbikes of course!)  So far I have used zero oil but I am on my second filling of the washer fluid and I have discovered why I don't like black (sorry Jay ;))  It shows dirt worse then a pile of dirt and I hate washing any vehicle.  I let the Sirius run out to see if they would make a special come back offer, free reactivation and 3 more free months.  Once that is up I will simply add it to my account, which is around 8 or 9 a month.  The week I didn't have the sat I tried regular radio, hated it and used my phone to stream via bluetooth music.  What really sucked?  I listen to NASCAR most of the time, good background noise and gives me fodder for work, we have a few of us with our favorite drivers and since I'm the only anti HMS fan I always have lots to say ;D  I tried installing the film for the fog and headlight protection, just too darn cold to do it right, I have one fog light covered and it looks really good and my eyes can't tell a differance in light output.  If we get a nice sunday I will heatup the lights, have a hotgun handy, and go for it.
You had sad you were going to get some oil for just in case, what/where did you get it?
I have seen a coupla gray ones in town, I winder if they would trade?

I do need to spend some time on the bike, with the nasty weather wev'e had the last coula months I just didn't feel my reflexes were ready for the really wet stuff and potential ice in spots.  Spent the last 3 weekends on the KLR becoming a dirtbike instructor, one word sums up the weather wetcoldsnowsleethailrainwetcoldmiserable.  But so much fun ;D  The inlet freeze is a real deal, they have a simple temp fix while they are awaiting upgrade kits, straight from VW folks, not the dealer.  That transmission is sooooooooooooooo awesome.  Heck, the car is awesome, not C14 Silverdammit awesome, but almost...

Offline Conrad

« Reply #213 on: March 22, 2012, 05:23:38 AM »
Quick reply for now Chet, here's where I bought the oil.

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/

If they don't have it, you don't need it.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #214 on: March 22, 2012, 09:25:01 AM »
My car hasn't used a drop of oil either, as far as I can tell anyways. It sounds like you've been doing WAY more driving that I have, I'm just under 3k miles.

That 10k oil change interval had me a bit nervous too. I'm waiting till then though. You may want to do a bit of reading at these links first.

Here's some great info on breaking in a new TDI, oil change intervals, including VW's use of break-in oil.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...67&postcount=1

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=56

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/31472-post5.html

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #215 on: March 22, 2012, 05:10:45 PM »
I don't see where you guys have debated the merits of different windshield washer fluid yet...   That should be a good one.......hopefully.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #216 on: March 22, 2012, 07:41:54 PM »
I don't see where you guys have debated the merits of different windshield washer fluid yet...   That should be a good one.......hopefully.
Synthetic of course, once you have reached the third fillup, the heated system requires a carefull breakin to properly set the impellers to the pump housing and prevent premature squirts ;D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #217 on: March 23, 2012, 06:08:31 AM »
Synthetic of course, once you have reached the third fillup, the heated system requires a carefull breakin to properly set the impellers to the pump housing and prevent premature squirts ;D

The use of synthetic also prevents post squirt dribbles.

Over at the Jetta boards they do argue discuss about what type of washer fluids are best.    :o

Son of Pappy

« Reply #218 on: March 23, 2012, 06:26:59 AM »
The use of synthetic also prevents post squirt dribbles.

Over at the Jetta boards they do argue discuss about what type of washer fluids are best.    :o
Arguing is discouraged over there, that place just don't feel like family.  I'm gonna use Mobil Delvac 1 full syn. for the change.  Big bummer today, freezing fog so I get to cage it--AGAIN!!!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #219 on: March 23, 2012, 06:36:46 AM »
Arguing is discouraged over there, that place just don't feel like family.  I'm gonna use Mobil Delvac 1 full syn. for the change.  Big bummer today, freezing fog so I get to cage it--AGAIN!!!

Does that Delvac meet the VW 507 spec?