Author Topic: Paint Help  (Read 708 times)

Offline sport rider

Paint Help
« on: February 19, 2019, 05:11:22 PM »
I'm working on my cafe project.  specifically, painting the tank and front fender with rattle can.   the paint job on the front fender turned out quite a bit better than the tank. I think the reason is the final coat on the fender was heavier and the paint settled to a smoother finish.

so question is...do I finish sand and buff the tank, or sand down and re-do it?  I used a P800 scratch pad to rough-smooth the paint and then P1500 wet sand and it seems like the finish is workable with a buffer and polish.  The only buffer I have is a drill attachment type.  have a few pads I bought off amazon.

I'm not expecting any type of professional mirror finish, but want it to look reasonable.  eventually i will have it professionally done, but for now, just an ok job is fine.

it's a learning process and I'm absolutely untrained. perhaps untrainable.  :)

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Paint Help
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 06:08:23 PM »
The most I have ever painted a vehicle is touch-up paint in the little pen thing or little nail polish-like bottle for rock chips... and apparently I suck at doing it.  :(
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 06:44:14 PM »
Maxtog,        +1      :o  ::)  ;D

Offline sport rider

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 05:38:25 AM »
sadly, me too!   :(