Author Topic: #LoveWins  (Read 27083 times)

Offline BruceR

• Arena
Re: #LoveWins
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2015, 01:32:23 PM »
. Thankfully, that generation is dying off now, so hopefully mine won't have to contend with this nastiness and cruelty for much longer.
Now then, what if the above quote was made by one of those "angry white guys" towards the GLBTQ community?  Are you trying to assign a different set of standards of tolerance than what you yourself actually adhere to?  Seems you've labeled a large part of the population now, and quite negatively, yet you want those who don't happen to share your passion for your life choices to stop using labels.
*edited to fix a typo

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2015, 02:26:05 PM »
In England.    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/07/gay-couple-sue-church-of-england_n_3714609.html

That's not here.  That's there.  So I'm putting my hands over my ears and humming so that I can't see that post.

Civility is not the reason for the Arena.
Its the focus of the threads.

That's in the eye's of the admin or Rick.  I could be fine with this and T or Rick could send it on it's way.  We're really crazy like that.  And it would be fine.  However, it hasn't been sent on it's way so here we are.

Clearly this thread needs to be moved into the Arena now.

No it doesn't...why do you want it moved to the Arena?

In England.    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/07/gay-couple-sue-church-of-england_n_3714609.html

Huffington Post eh?  They are totally reliable aren't they?  As of 2014 the same date or so, they were still thinking about it.  As far as I know, and you'll need more proof than Huffington, they have not followed through with that.  I can't find anything to say that they actually followed through with it.  Just another Internet speculation.

However, Denmark, now that's an entirely different barrel of fish.

I can't resist the challange so I stopped humming and put my hands over my eyes.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 02:59:13 PM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

voileauciel

« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2015, 02:51:55 PM »
This is quickly becoming a pointless discussion and an open opportunity for everyone to take pot-shots at one another.

It's really telling that I came here to celebrate something that meant so much to me and so many of you managed to **** all over it.

I'm done here.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2015, 03:13:27 PM »
It would seem to me that you've been around long enough to know the the many and varied personalities here would give this a thorough discussion. And  '**** all over it' is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2015, 03:23:47 PM »
I'm done here.

I'm done here.

Is this the same person?  :o ??? :-\
If so, finally both threads make sense to me now...  :) :chugbeer:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2015, 03:26:27 PM »
 :finger_fing11:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2015, 03:52:47 PM »

As far as I know it's two different individuals. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2015, 04:06:39 PM »
This is quickly becoming a pointless discussion and an open opportunity for everyone to take pot-shots at one another.

It's really telling that I came here to celebrate something that meant so much to me and so many of you managed to **** all over it.

I'm done here.

Well, that's what happens here with controversial subjects when left to their own devices.  I could have moved it at the get go to the Arena where only a few would have had visibility to it (not you) but decided to leave it here for more of a wider discussion.  I think it went well, as just in real life there are pros and cons to everything.  I don't consider that it was **** all over.  It was discussed fairly.  You may not agree with some of the points brought out, but this is the US.  We have a diverse population with varying view points.  Some of those points get heated but what the heck.  I really don't want you to leave however that is totally up to you.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2015, 04:15:55 PM »
I disagree- I think most of the shots were well aimed. :-)

I also disagree with your intent- I believe you came here, to a motorcycle forum you rarely participate in, to at the least make a political statement and at the outside, proverbially 'rub their noses in it' to those who have a different point of view.

I too am a bit surprised at this thread though.... it has been quite well behaved and courteous, especially given the polarizing nature of the subject. In fact, as far as I know, nothing had to be edited and only one person used any language that required replacing letters with asterisks.  ;)

If tomorrow the US gov't passes, say, gun legislation that favors whatever side of that you are on, and you go to, say, a plumbing forum and start a thread about it named something like "safety wins!" or "civil liberties win" (depending on which way it went of course), then you just have to know it is going to generate powerful emotional responses from both sides of the gallery.

Brian

I'm done here.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2015, 04:22:10 PM »
Nope- the first guy's name is Chris and his interests included motorcycling and homosexuality. The second guy's name is Juan if I remember correctly and his interests include motorcycling and.... well, actually I cannot tell what his interests are. My name is Brian and my interests include motorcycling and animal parts (not THOSE animal parts though). Your name is Jay and your interests included motorcycling and colors.

:rotflmao:

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2015, 04:47:54 PM »
Last I checked, right leaning citizens still are afforded their 1st Amendment rights. If the left leaning hypocrites have their way, that may change. But it hasn't done so yet. The right to offend someone is is guaranteed by our Constitution.

Hot button topics will generally get a little hot. Hence the term "hot button topic". I've seen threads about secondary butterflies get infinitely more heated and personal than this has gotten.

I guess that the bottom line is: If you open the door, someone from this forum is likely to come busting through like the Kool-Aid Man. :nuts:
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2015, 05:05:14 PM »
Yes but it is no longer tolerated by society apparently. Somewhere along the line, 'right thinking' and 'you cannot say / think <that>' came along and basically  punishes anyone who may have an unpopular view. You are correct about our having the right to say / think whatever we want but oftentimes when that happens, the person who said the 'wrong' thing is punished for it.

I do not believe there is nor could there be, a television show like All in the family produced now- it would be to politically incorrect. The worst part would be that the creators, writers, actors and everyone else associated with such a show would be basically shunned by the public for ever daring to show anyone using such words and showing such thoughts.

It is getting so bad that oftentimes insults are found where none were intended or even given. My wife used to work at a company that had a Fema-Nazi (I probably cannot say that  <sigh> ) working there. One morning the owner walked in and said to a few women, including the cranky one, 'Good morning Ladies'. She screamed back at him 'We are not Ladies, we are Women!' Beyond an overreaction, it was aggressive, contrary and abrasive behavior simply looking for an opportunity to get out.

Brian

Last I checked, right leaning citizens still are afforded their 1st Amendment rights. If the left leaning hypocrites have their way, that may change. But it hasn't done so yet. The right to offend someone is is guaranteed by our Constitution.

<snip>

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #92 on: July 01, 2015, 05:21:02 PM »

Hot button topics will generally get a little hot. Hence the term "hot button topic". I've seen threads about secondary butterflies get infinitely more heated and personal than this has gotten.

I guess that the bottom line is: If you open the door, someone from this forum is likely to come busting through like the Kool-Aid Man. :nuts:

How about the right leaning hypocrites?

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2015, 05:21:40 PM »
I suppose one of the other women could have said to the Femi-Nazi "It's painfully obvious that YOU are not a lady but I certainly am."  8)
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2015, 05:27:12 PM »

I haven't seen any right leaning people trying to legislate "Hate Speech". That's not to say that there aren't any, I just haven't seen any. If they are out there, they need to go lay by their dish too.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2015, 05:32:49 PM »
Most people were either afraid of her (not physically, just of setting her off) or were bored with her tirades. Not me though, I saw it as an opportunity! One time she was at a party at my house, carrying on about something or other so I went in the house and got a stop watch. Then when she quieted down for a moment, I asked her what color boxers she normally wore. There was a collective gasp and then a new, louder tirade started. When she was done, I held up the stop watch and asked who had picked the time closed to whatever the stop watch read.... I gots ta' tells' ya', dat right dare was downright hysterical, or at least everyone there thought so. Well, almost everyone there.  ;)

It was simply not possible to reason with her, converse with her or have any other intercourse (Easy Boys!) with her. Amazingly enough, she was married for quite a few years and before you ask, no, her husband was not deaf or bedridden.  ;)

Brian

I suppose one of the other women could have said to the Femi-Nazi "It's painfully obvious that YOU are not a lady but I certainly am."  8)

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2015, 05:44:08 PM »
Is it fair to assume that she preferred tighty whiteys?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2015, 05:48:43 PM »

They're running Congress for the time being.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #98 on: July 01, 2015, 05:57:50 PM »
I think you're confused, gPink. I can name ANY right leaning member of Congress. They all seem to be left of center to me.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #99 on: July 01, 2015, 06:05:22 PM »
...hence the 'Hypocrite' status.