Author Topic: Anyone know the size of the OEM tank bag for an 86?  (Read 1461 times)

Offline yojak

Anyone know the size of the OEM tank bag for an 86?
« on: March 28, 2021, 07:01:26 PM »
Howdy, all,

I picked up a 2019 Versys 1000 and am have a heck of a time figuring out which tank bag to go with. I have the original tank bag for my 86 packed full and need to know how much it held in liters to find something comparable. No love so far. Hoping someone out there has both or at least the new Versys that can be so some help.

Going to sell the 86. Just going back and forth whether to strip the farkles and sell them here or there or to go big and sell all of them with the bike. I'm assuming someone(s) here has gone through the same conundrum and can help me sort this out.

Versys will be here Tuesday. Can't wait.

Much obliged,
Jack

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
Re: Anyone know the size of the OEM tank bag for an 86?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 12:53:17 AM »
Errr, to my knowledge there was no "OEM" tankbag for the C10, or for most motorcycles for that matter.
Does your tankbag have any markings or labels anywhere that may indicate who made it?
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline yojak

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 03:24:37 PM »
Hopefully third time is the charm. My replies aren't coming through for some reason.

The bag has a tag inside that states made for Kawasaki. States Kawasaki Concours on both sides. Two big pockets and a large main section.

See pics.

Jack

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 03:13:23 AM »
Ya learn something new every day. ::) I've not heard of a Kawasaki accessory tank bag for the C10 before.
I believe that they made one for the C14 but that was dropped due to poor sales due to the usual manufacturer idiocy of pricing it at 3x the price of the best of the competition.
Looks like it was USA only so hopefully someone your side of the pond has seen one before and has some info.
Otherwise all I can suggest would be to measure the tank bag and use the measurements to calculate the approximate volume of it.
If it's 40cm long, 25cm wide and 20cm deep then it's (40x25x20)/1000 = 20 litres.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 04:55:58 PM »
Well, cut my suspenders and call me Droopy...   New to me as well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.