Author Topic: This forum is dead dead dead  (Read 5469 times)

Offline Uded2me

This forum is dead dead dead
« on: May 13, 2011, 09:36:58 AM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:02:43 PM by knight_mare »

Offline mach1charlie

• Lone Wolf... No Club
Re: bi-xenon HID goes dark when switching from hi to lo, then back on
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 10:45:16 AM »
My old kzp headlight would die going down the road, scary! I would get off the road quick and stop fast. Wiggle fuses and it would come back on. I fixed it by eliminateing the fuse block  ;) now it has fuseable links :)
Real men have tire irons, and use them.

Charlie

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 11:28:03 AM »
Is this a HID type where the bulb moves back and forth or two bulbs mounted next to each other?

If it is a single bulb, moving type of HID it sounds like the harness is bad. There should be a capacitor in the HID harness to keep the bulb ignited momentarily while you switch the headlight position from high to low (and the other way too).

Brian

This is rather unsettling.  I installed a 55w bi-xenon HID headlight last year on my '97.  After a month or two I would switch from high beam to low beam and it would go off for a few seconds (1-Mississippi, 2-Mississippi)  then go back on.  It wasn't every time.

I put the stock headlight system back in place and did not have a problem the rest of the summer and fall.

Last weekend I put in a new HID ballast and new HID bulb.  The same thing is happening again.  Things are fine with a standard bulb; the HID system came with a relay and is wired to the battery.  If I had the problem with the OEM setup I'd suspect the hi/low switch on the handlebar.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Should I WD-40 the headlight switch, buy a replacement, ... ?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Uded2me

This forum is dead dead dead
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 12:34:05 PM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:02:49 PM by knight_mare »

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 12:52:46 PM »
What brand kit did you buy?
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
By all means, switch the wires and try it but there should be only one circuit inside that harness. Both headlights in a two- light system (which is what you have I believe) should do everything they do together so either side will work in a one- lamp system.

I think you can buy just a harness without any other part of the HID system and it should not be too expensive.

Brian

It's a single bulb.  I bought a car kit.  It came with 2 bulbs, 2 ballasts, and 1 harness unit.  The harness unit has power in, ground, and wires for the left and right ballasts.  I used the same wiring (e.q. left side)  last year and this year.  Should I switch to the wires for the other side or is there just one circuit inside the black box?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 08:13:35 PM »
He has the same single bulb set up  as me (VVME) and mine is doing the same thing. I will look in into it a let you know.
Somehow the relay in the harness is dropping out. A couple of diodes or a cap should fix it.
Complete new harnesses with a relay is very inexpensive if we happen to need one.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Uded2me

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 09:27:51 PM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:03:07 PM by knight_mare »

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 09:53:46 AM »
interesting, I have the two relays I used a few years ago when I rewired the headlight to bypass the j-box in the pre-HID days.  Didn't get a chance to look at the bike this evening.  Harnesses via eBay (quick look) are $20 shipped, but probably more Chinese junk.  I'd rather wire up a harness myself if possible.
After my HID crapped the bed after a few months I went back to the H4, plus ff2oo Hellas for high beam and cheap Wally fog lights for low beam. We did a test up at Vintage weekend at Barber with the HID and ff200 lights, the ff200 completely overwhelmed the 55w Bi Xenon China crap. That and the reliability issues, along with total darkness without some sort of aux lights on board, killed that whole idea for me. I ride quite a bit, virtually every workday in the dark on rural roads. I need reliability and performance. I have both, now.

YMMV.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)