Author Topic: Any car detailing experts on here?  (Read 20104 times)

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
Any car detailing experts on here?
« on: April 30, 2015, 04:57:05 AM »
Hey Folks,

I drop by this morning with my coffee to find threads locked?...and it's not really even winter anymore...lol.

Anyway, I need some advice from somebody with car/paint detailing experience. There are several times in my life where I swore I would never own a black car again, and now we have three of them in the driveway (with the intention of selling one eventually).

Anyway, two of them are all swirled to poop, and just generally chalky and dull in appearance. The other is relatively new and is shiny and clean.

What products would you use to refinish the two dull/swirled paint jobs? I recently purchased a new polisher/buffer...one of those Porter Cable jobbies with several different pads...cutting/cleaning/polishing?

http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-7424XP-6-Inch-Variable-Speed-Polisher/dp/B002654I46

I used one of the Meguiars (or Mothers) 3-step systems before and remember it working well. Should I just do the same thing again?

Any advice from those who have been there;).

Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Any car detailing experts on here?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 05:08:44 AM »
Hey Folks,

I drop by this morning with my coffee to find threads locked?...and it's not really even winter anymore...lol.

Rem

That's because all we have here are experts.... ;)

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 05:16:18 AM »
That's because all we have here are experts.... ;)

Haha...I guess so huh Gary?

Ya know, it's funny...I've posted actual data before...even pictures and numbers and everything, and I still get told I'm wrong...lol.

Whatever. It's all good fun I guess. Can't take any of this stuff too seriously, eh?

My dear old grandmother had a little sign hangin' on the wall many years ago that read: "Those of us that think they know it all upset those of us that do".

LOL<
Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 06:09:14 AM »
When I had my Black Solstice I used Meguiar's detailer for black paint.  Once a year I do the clay bar cleaning.

Below is a photo of it at 8 years old.

My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 06:47:39 AM »
The place where I used to buy my paint sold a product called Liquid Sapphire. It was the next to the last step I used before the carnuba wax. It's been years since I shot a serious paint job, technology has surely created more up to date prosucts by now.

This may very well turn in to a vehemently debated topic.  ;D  :popcorn:
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 07:14:35 AM »
Not an expert but the answer is free: the best I have found is the old but still useful Maguiar's Mirror Glaze. It has the finest abrasive that I am aware of in a vehicle surface finishing system- best stuff to cut the swirl marks out of extremely fine buffing compound.

As to the other thing, well.... as I said 'Never wrestle with a pig; you both get dirty but the pig likes it'.  :D  Find the "pig"(s) and either ignore him (them) or set up the forum so you do not see the posts. We all have finite time on the planet, no need to waste it foolishly while we could be doing something interesting.

Brian

Hey Folks,

Anyway, I need some advice from somebody with car/paint detailing experience. There are several times in my life where I swore I would never own a black car again, and now we have three of them in the driveway (with the intention of selling one eventually).

Anyway, two of them are all swirled to poop, and just generally chalky and dull in appearance. The other is relatively new and is shiny and clean.

What products would you use to refinish the two dull/swirled paint jobs? I recently purchased a new polisher/buffer...one of those Porter Cable jobbies with several different pads...cutting/cleaning/polishing?

http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-7424XP-6-Inch-Variable-Speed-Polisher/dp/B002654I46

I used one of the Meguiars (or Mothers) 3-step systems before and remember it working well. Should I just do the same thing again?

Any advice from those who have been there;).

Rem
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline KZBell

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 11:12:08 AM »
Sorry I can't help...Detailing my work trucks for me is using soap at the car wash instead of just rinsing them off.
Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic

Offline mikeeitup

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 07:58:29 PM »
Hey bud I charge about 3-500 to detail somebody's car. You have bought the right tool for the job but not the right product. If you want a swirl free shine then I recommend Adams pads and polish. I have brought 13 year old cars back to factory new looks to the point where the DMV inspector put a "dealer" sticker on the car before I told him what year it was. He swore it looked brandy new. Don't forget to wash and clay in a dust free environment before you buff and use the two bucket wash system!
Mike
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 05:39:22 AM »
Hey bud I charge about 3-500 to detail somebody's car. You have bought the right tool for the job but not the right product. If you want a swirl free shine then I recommend Adams pads and polish. I have brought 13 year old cars back to factory new looks to the point where the DMV inspector put a "dealer" sticker on the car before I told him what year it was. He swore it looked brandy new. Don't forget to wash and clay in a dust free environment before you buff and use the two bucket wash system!
Mike

Thanks Mike!

I see there is an Adams dealer here in Canada....they're a 1000 miles west of me, but they are here...lol.

The pads I have are Lake Country...cutting, polishing, and finishing.

Which Adams products do you recommend?...Do you recommend a 3-step system, using all three pads start to finish?

Offline mikeeitup

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 03:39:48 PM »
I'd diagnose your paint before going all three steps. If you have actual scratches in the clear coat or beyond then I recommend all three steps. If you only have swirls then I'd go two step if they are heavy swirls and only one step if you're just touching up. If you haven't buffed in a year, go two step. Doing all three steps on the regular really wears the clear coat and only should be done when you have actual scratches as mentioned before. ALSO watch his video on the technique on how to buff. I was doing it wrong and you can actually tell a visible difference after following his steps. Hope this helps ya out!
Mike
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 04:06:27 PM »
If you have actual scratches in the clear coat or beyond then I recommend all three steps. If you only have swirls then I'd go two step if they are heavy swirls and only one step if you're just touching up. If you haven't buffed in a year, go two step. Doing all three steps on the regular really wears the clear coat and only should be done when you have actual scratches as mentioned before.

One black car has scratches and swirls and has never been waxed or buffed in 12 years...lol.
The next black one hasn't been waxed or buffed in at least two years.
the 3rd black one is closer to new with no swirls to speak of (yet). I just want to maintain it.

Offline mikeeitup

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 04:25:22 PM »
1. 3 step
2. 3 step
3. 2 or 1 step depending on how much time you wanna spend. I'd do 1 step if there aren't any swirls.
Mike
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~