Author Topic: Advice on setting up a new trailer for Connie.  (Read 20619 times)

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
Re: Advice on setting up a new trailer for Connie.
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2016, 06:58:22 PM »
$39.99 at Harbor freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-wheel-chock-69026.html

I used two of these from HF to haul two C-10's from Ga to Colorado and back last summer. Been using one for 3 years, the other went to a guy who used it to haul the C-10 he bought from me to W. Va.

Looks a lot like your Amazon chock. That'll do fine. I used some flat bar under my 3/4" floor like super flat washers to spread the loading.

Can't wait to see the pix!
2014 C-14 Red

Offline tonedeaf1

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2016, 10:18:47 PM »
Your link points to an ftp site for some reason. <<<Looks like I clicked on the wrong icon.  Seems to work now>>>

Nice chocks for sure but for occasional use I'm hoping that the $50 Amazon chock works out.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2016, 04:55:41 AM »
$39.99 at Harbor freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-wheel-chock-69026.html

I used two of these from HF to haul two C-10's from Ga to Colorado and back last summer. Been using one for 3 years, the other went to a guy who used it to haul the C-10 he bought from me to W. Va.

Looks a lot like your Amazon chock. That'll do fine. I used some flat bar under my 3/4" floor like super flat washers to spread the loading.

Can't wait to see the pix!

Brown will be delivering my new chock today and the e-track stuff is coming tomorrow. I'll get the bike into the trailer today or tomorrow and get everything set-up then. I'll snap a pic or two while I'm at it.    :)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2016, 05:15:41 AM »
I got my trailer all set-up and used it for the first time on a camping trip in northern Wisconsin over this past week. Once I got the chock set-up correctly it worked as designed. I ended up not installing the e-track system on the trailer because the factory tie down points worked perfectly.

I did have a mishap while setting up the chock for my bike. Because of my stupidity using the wrong setting on the chock I broke a piece of the front fairing (right behind the front tire) when the tire locked into the chock. Then while I was trying to get the bike off of the chock (it got hung up), with my stupidity on full display, the bike fell over inside of the trailer.   

>:(   :'(

Minor damage to the bike though. The mirror and the bag hit the side of the trailer. The mirror folded up and got scuffed a bit on the edge. I was shocked that the mount didn't break. The bag got scuffed up in two spots but not terribly.

I took some pics and I'll get em posted if anyone would like to see.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2016, 05:31:03 AM »
Post'em....let us share your pain.  :(

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2016, 05:38:43 AM »
My Connie will NEVER EVER...EEEEVVEERRRR se the top/inside of a trailer, unless she is broken (which, fingers crossed, will never happen).....just say'in.....

If I can't ride her there, she doesn't go...
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2016, 05:40:53 AM »
My Connie will NEVER EVER...EEEEVVEERRRR se the top/inside of a trailer, unless she is broken (which, fingers crossed, will never happen).....just say'in.....

We still talking about a bike?

Offline Hooligan

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2016, 05:42:19 AM »
We still talking about a bike?

Trailering the bike I would say... ;D
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2016, 05:44:03 PM »
Nice chocks. Just saw the HF ones for $29.99.

Bummer about the damage. I always worry about a tip over 'in the box." Show us the pix. Misery loves company! :(
2014 C-14 Red

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2016, 04:58:15 AM »
A good friend of mine tried to ride his bike (GW or a big BMW) into the back of his truck using a ramp.  It bottomed out and fell over with him on it.  He wasn't hurt but the bike was.

C, at least it was more stable lying down....  And oh yes, we do need to see the pictures.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2016, 05:14:55 AM »

I don't think that you understand, Hooligan. I don't know how you camp (if you do) but when I camp I take plenty of beer, my wife, 3 dogs, beer, 2 mountain bikes, a 14' tandem kayak, beer, and all the various and sundry items needed for a one to two (or more) weeks away from the house. Plus I need room for beer. Most of these items are fairly difficult to haul on my bike. Oh yeah, I mustn't forget the wine, my wife doesn't care for beer. 

I pull the trailer and Connie behind our motorhome and the motorhome serves as my base of operations for riding where ever we camp. The trailer makes a great mobile garage too! If I want to ride on the way to where we're going my wife can drive the RV while I ride. I can't do that all the time, gotta keep her happy right? And what better way to keep her happy than the pleasure of my company?    :)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2016, 05:20:29 AM »
A good friend of mine tried to ride his bike (GW or a big BMW) into the back of his truck using a ramp.  It bottomed out and fell over with him on it.  He wasn't hurt but the bike was.

C, at least it was more stable lying down....  And oh yes, we do need to see the pictures.

I was actually talking about pics of the bike loaded properly and strapped down on the trailer (standing up). I didn't take any pics of the damage but I could I guess since ya'll want to see it. The bike didn't actually fall completely over, the side of the trailer stopped it from doing that.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 08:09:32 AM by Conrad »

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2016, 05:54:12 AM »
I don't think that you understand, Hooligan. I don't know how you camp (if you do) but when I camp I take plenty of beer, my wife, 3 dogs, beer, 2 mountain bikes, a 14' tandem kayak, beer, and all the various and sundry items needed for a one to two (or more) weeks away from the house. Plus I need room for beer. Most of these items are fairly difficult to haul on my bike. Oh yeah, I mustn't forget the wine, my wife doesn't care for beer. 

I pull the trailer and Connie behind our motorhome and the motorhome serves as my base of operations for riding where ever we camp. The trailer makes a great mobile garage too! If I want to ride on the way to where we're going my wife can drive the RV while I ride. I can't do that all the time, gotta keep her happy right? And what better way to keep her happy than the pleasure of my company?    :)

I'm not sure but I think you forgot to mention beer.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2016, 07:41:29 AM »
 And what better way to keep her happy than the pleasure of my company?    :)

Clearly,,, great minds think alike!!

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Hooligan

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2016, 08:07:05 AM »

I hear what you are saying, and I understand. Wasn't aware that you go camping with the RV, and it makes sense.

As I'm quite involved in organised biking, I do a lot of rallies here in the RSA, mostly 400 miles+ away from where I live. Closer that than is considered a day "jol" (Party). That is about the only time I go camping, and I do take the Mrs with. Once there, and the tent is set up, I'll take the empty top box and panniers, and go to town for supplies. Lots of beer and scotch, as well as a boat load of meat to BBQ ( like you call it in the states). However, we don't use gas, we use wood, and we call it a "braai" (pronounced "BRY"). During this time, the kids stay with the grandparents for the weekend, and they feed the pets.

There is a group of bikers here that prefer to do it the "old School" way, and not do the rallies using cars, pickups and campers/RV's. I can honestly say that I belong to that group, and love it.

Click the link and let me know what you think?

http://osbm.co.za/

I do respect that fact that you move around, and love what you do.

2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2016, 05:41:05 AM »
Jip, that's the way we do it here in the RSA!!

http://osbm.co.za/

Some great info there guys! Respect!!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2016, 01:07:13 PM »
Here's a few pics of the trailer set-up and the bike loaded properly. Loading and unloading is a breeze.

[smg id=730]

[smg id=731]

[smg id=732]

I used a bathroom scale to weigh the tongue and I moved the bike and chock till I had 250 lbs on it. The trailer tracked perfectly on the road.

[smg id=733]

[smg id=735]

[smg id=736]

[smg id=737]

[smg id=739]

[smg id=738]

[smg id=740]

Offline Conrad

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2016, 01:09:02 PM »
And what better way to keep her happy than the pleasure of my company?    :)

Clearly,,, great minds think alike!!

Ride safe, Ted

:chugbeer:

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2016, 02:37:05 AM »
Sweet trailer set up Conrad!!  :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2016, 04:41:51 AM »
Sweet trailer set up Conrad!!  :thumbs: :thumbs:

Thanks! Now I need some really large Kawasaki stickers.