Author Topic: Said Goodbye to the Concours this morning  (Read 28380 times)

elp_jc

Re: Said Goodbye to the Concours this morning
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2015, 12:28:09 PM »
The Trophy is a nice bike, but it's considered a TOURING bike, not a sport-tourer. It has full upright riding position, just like a Goldwing. It's also at the bottom of the performance chart, even lower than an RT, mostly due to its mammoth weight (less than a GW though). But a nice progression from a sport-tourer, especially if you're already piling up the years ;D. AND if you ride 2-up. I MUCH prefer a Trophy than a current Goldwing (I owned one). And will consider one when I'm ready to move out of sport-touring. Hope you enjoy it.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 02:31:10 PM »
The Trophy is a nice bike, but it's considered a TOURING bike, not a sport-tourer. It has full upright riding position, just like a Goldwing. It's also at the bottom of the performance chart, even lower than an RT, mostly due to its mammoth weight (less than a GW though). But a nice progression from a sport-tourer, especially if you're already piling up the years ;D. AND if you ride 2-up. I MUCH prefer a Trophy than a current Goldwing (I owned one). And will consider one when I'm ready to move out of sport-touring. Hope you enjoy it.

Where do you get your information?  The trophy is 20lbs less than the Concours.  It is considered a sport touring bike, bit does lean more towards the touring side of sport touring, while the SprintST leaned toward the sport end of sport touring.  The Concours is somewhere in the middle.

It is more nimble than the Concours and would give it a run in the twisters.  Definitely doesn't have the power of the Connie, but is a better balanced platform.  Loved my Concours and would have bought a new one if they would have improved it with cruise and electronic suspension.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

elp_jc

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2015, 01:38:25 AM »
Where do you get your information? The trophy is 20lbs less than the Concours.
If that's indeed lighter, it's my fading memory; apologies for that. But weight does not define a sport-tourer anyway, especially that difference. Sat on a Trophy next to a Connie, and it's no sport-tourer: chair-like riding position, massive fairing, and just adequate power and cornering clearance. What the heck do you find sporty on a Trophy??? Each can have its own definition of 'sport-tourer', but that's never been mine (sporty riding position, lots of cornering clearance, plenty of power, and just decent weather protection). The Trophy looks and feels massive compared to the Connie, so didn't question my memory of it being heavier. BMW also claims its whale K1600GT is a sport tourer, when it's just the touring GTL without the trunk and minimal ergo changes. It's like saying a Hyundai Elantra GT is a sports car because it says 'GT' in the badge. The only sport-touring comparo I read where a Trophy was included it landed dead last... but magazine tests are irrelevant to me, so never mind. BMW also calls the RT a sport-tourer, but after owning a 2014 for a few months, I consider it a light touring bike, just like the Trophy. Not as heavy or long as a Goldwing or K1600, hence the 'light touring', but touring nonetheless. BMW's true sport-touring bike is the K1300S, which I also owned. And runs circles around the Connie. The Connie is the least aggressive sport-touring bike in the market. But the moment you alter it to make it a tourer, like making ergos upright, lowering pegs because you never drag them, putting a larger windscreen for full weather protection, and adding a trunk, there's nothing sport left. You just converted it into a light touring bike, like a Trophy or RT. We're all heading towards that direction as we age and our bodies don't take kindly bent knees for too long, or too much weight on the wrists. But I hope to slow that trend until I'm past the double-nickel in a couple of years. But yes, when I get to that level, rather than trying to convert a bike into something it wasn't designed to do, will buy the correct bike for the purpose. And right now the Trophy and K1600GT would be my choices. Both are 'sportier' than a Goldwing.

sailor_chic

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2015, 04:31:56 AM »
There you have it!  He hates your bike and he knows that you made a bad choice. Silly you, why would anyone get ride of a C14 and buy a non sport touring bike. Lol.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2015, 05:28:00 AM »

I hope I never get old enough to buy a double-butt Gold Wing or Trophy.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2015, 05:58:04 AM »
Sounds like the Trophy pulls your sport touring mancard. ( no offense Nicole  :) )

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2015, 08:50:26 AM »
Off-topic and perhaps non-PC, but Nicole = sailor_chic = a chick?
It could have been someone partial to a sailor-type wardrobe.
2008 Silverdammit C14

sailor_chic

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2015, 09:04:04 AM »
That's correct. I thought that my name in my signature would have been a great clue.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2015, 02:31:46 PM »
 :goodpost: :rotflmao: :doh:   Well, that made my day.  Every time I look at this, I'm rolling.... :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2015, 02:58:18 PM »
There you have it!  He hates your bike and he knows that you made a bad choice. Silly you, why would anyone get ride of a C14 and buy a non sport touring bike. Lol.

Yep silly me.  Guess I will have to sell my leaned over Moto Guzzi cafe, and my jeep trail mountain climbing dual sport now to.  ;)
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2015, 03:02:09 PM »
Sounds like the Trophy pulls your sport touring mancard. ( no offense Nicole  :) )

Oh well.  Never road it like a racer wannabe anyway.  Would have bought the explorer it it wasn'too big for me, or the super tenere if I could have got past the looks.  Still trying to get my wife to ride pillion on the trophy.
My Concours Travels:

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2015, 03:04:40 PM »

Since you are wanting the Concours to be more sporty, what aren't you buying the zx14 seat I have for sale.  It will complete that sport ride you are looking for.
My Concours Travels:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2015, 03:24:59 PM »

Quite true, especially after today..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

sailor_chic

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2015, 04:13:19 PM »
Since you are wanting the Concours to be more sporty, what aren't you buying the zx14 seat I have for sale.  It will complete that sport ride you are looking for.
He's only looking for the sport bike look and stigma. He doesn't ride his.

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2015, 04:54:54 AM »
That's correct. I thought that my name in my signature would have been a great clue.

Good to know, Nicole. My eyes failed to pick up on the fine print.  :)
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2015, 10:37:15 AM »

He's only looking for the sport bike look and stigma. He doesn't ride his.

:goodpost: :rotflmao: :doh:   Well, that made my day.  Every time I look at this, I'm rolling.... :rotflmao:

Got to agree with V'Jim on this. +1  :rotflmao:

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2015, 09:06:06 PM »
Yep silly me.  Guess I will have to sell my leaned over Moto Guzzi cafe, and my jeep trail mountain climbing dual sport now to.  ;)

Yay I need a cafe guzzi!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline angelo

• Some Ride Reports
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2015, 08:07:02 PM »
Yay I need a cafe guzzi!

Like the 700's they are making.  What better way to have a blast ripping the heck out of a bike and still have a chance at keeping your license!   ;)

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2015, 05:44:02 AM »
Like the 700's they are making.  What better way to have a blast ripping the heck out of a bike and still have a chance at keeping your license!   ;)

Mine is a one year to the states 2010 V7 Café Classic.  Only had 7 hundred something miles on it when I picked it up about a year ago.
My Concours Travels:

Offline angelo

• Some Ride Reports
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2015, 02:45:42 PM »
Mine is a one year to the states 2010 V7 Café Classic.  Only had 7 hundred something miles on it when I picked it up about a year ago.

Very nice.  Must be a blast