Author Topic: Left hand handlebar control with choke?  (Read 1162 times)

Offline bolling

Left hand handlebar control with choke?
« on: April 09, 2012, 05:00:54 PM »
I have an 87 C10 and that little spring loaded pad that keeps tension on the choke has disintegrated and now I have to hold the choke on. I was wondering if the whole housing control off of a newer (2005) C10 will work. Will the wiring harness on it plug into my 1987 wiring harness perfectly? I know the buttons themselves are a little different cosmetically but just wanted to make sure the wiring harness plugs will be the same and my choke cable will also work.

Offline kzz1king

Re: Left hand handlebar control with choke?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 05:48:21 PM »
This question was raised a bit a go and someone was going to try and repair theres. I undersatnd you cannot get just the small piece. There is a material called HiFAX I think. It is a white ,slippery type of durable plastic. I think it would work well but I donot know where to tell you to get it at. I know woodworkers use it on work tales as a slide. I have an extra assembly that worked fine but it is from an 86 so could be in same shape.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline bolling

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 06:05:27 PM »
I think a white block of nylon material would work also but the square is very small and needs a hole drilled in it for the spring and there has to be a step of some kind where the little arm holds it in. The whole top side of mine was missing with the tension spring sticking out so there is no way I know what it looked like to build another. If a person had a good one I don't think it would be to difficult to make but without something to go by it would be a lot of trial and error.

Offline Summit670

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 07:13:07 PM »
I have some hifax if you need it.  This is the material used in the rear skid frame of snowmobiles.  It is sold at a lot of the aftermarket snowmobile parts places.  I was going to use it on mine (87) but thought it may be to slippery so I tried to use a piece off the big end of a rubber bungee.  Any snowmobile shop would likely have a used piece of it they could give you too.

The rubber bungee thingy worked for a while but now I think it was too soft and wore down.  I now use a rubber bungee section about 1.5" long with a half circle cut in the middle.  I loosened the housing, then sqeezed this piece between the housings, then tightened the housing screws.  Works ok.

I may try the hifax thing later.  I have the original form for the little spring loaded thingy, I think.  That is what I modeled my first part after.

Oh, and I read a few years ago that someone had used a feeler gauge piece, putting that on the handlebar first, but I can't recall if you had to have some semlance of an original friction block to rub it.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 07:47:46 PM »
I tried a bit of hifax in my old control. Took a little shimming and I only had a piece of pipe to mount it on. Had to shim it a bit but I think it is doable. I would not drill or use the spring myself, my spring was gone.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1