Author Topic: How do I keep it from Hydro-ing again?  (Read 50481 times)

Offline Brad Baerwald

How do I keep it from Hydro-ing again?
« on: July 28, 2015, 04:42:26 AM »
I looked at my C10 this morning (proud that it's back together and running strong, thanks to you folks) but I had a tiny panic attack (not THAT bad but I couldn't find a better phrase)  WHAT IF I START HER AND IT HYDRO"S AGAIN???  I am a tiny bit scared that after it sits for a night it might have "done it" again?  It doesn't help that my garage smells like a gasoline spill (after all that major surgery)

What do you guys recommend I do to KEEP this (hydro-ing) from happening again? I looked for a "close-able" petcock (but that was before I even knew anything about the "vacuum activated" one thats on the bike.  I could not find a traditional / close-able one anywhere.  I've seen a guy (I think it's this site?) that put's overflow tubes in...nice idea but I like the close-able petcock idea better.

The main reason I like the ability to turn off the fuel is that it's the only way I know to "unstick" a stuck float while driving down the road!  It happens from time to time on my ZX11D...  this little trick works perfectly everytime.  When I hear a cylinder drop out because it's running way too rich (only starts to fire if I open the throttle wide open... something you want to do with caution on THAT bike...) I know at that point I have a stuck float... I just shut off the fuel and drive it till it empties the float bowls... ( that forces max movement of floats and seems to un-stick things)... turn the gas back on and keep right on going!
I'm just doing the best I can, with the little bit I got!

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
Re: How do I keep it from Hydro-ing again?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 05:48:51 AM »
You could also pinch your petcock vacuum line with pliers to get the same result to empty the carbs while running.  Somewhere here is a thread about using a Pingle petcock and plate to replace the stock one.  A slight enlarging on the tanks hole is also required.

Steve (as in SISF - Steve in sunny Florida) is the one who diagnosed your off-timed cam gear.  His sight is:
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/

I believe you can send just the carb bowls to him for overflow tubes.  He has a lot of other fun stuff too (order the jets too while you do this).
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Brad Baerwald

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 06:33:39 AM »
A slight enlarging on the tanks hole is also required.

Visions of things going "BOOM" in my head :shoot: :shoot: :yikes: :shoot: :shoot:

Yes, pinching the vacuum line would work... But I can't imagine doing that AS I ride down the road haha!

The petcock you mentioned.... Where? Any links? Is that a brand? Or a model?

And yes it was Steve's site where I saw the overflow tubes.  Years ago I read about his jet kit too... I think I will do that,  I think I remember him talking about the fact that the c10 (if in perfect health even without his kit but certainly with?) can wheelie (first gear @ 4k ...slam throttle open). Mine has NEVER been able to do that!

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 06:44:37 AM »
This may have it (search is our friend).  I also realized it is Pingel and not Pingle.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2950.msg34035#msg34035
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline salnap

• Springfield MA
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 07:26:26 AM »
How about a new pet cock and float needles?

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 07:59:15 AM »
Seriously, get the overflow tubes installed and keep the petcock maintained.
A manual petcock is only as good as your memory. Forget to shut it off once and if that's THE time a carb needle/seat chooses to leak, you're still in jeopardy.
Overflow tubes never forget.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline salnap

• Springfield MA
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 08:59:52 AM »
OEM vac pet cock should do it. They usually last 10 years or more

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 02:52:53 PM »
OEM vac pet cock should do it. They usually last 10 years or more

Soooo, you're feelin' lucky, huh??
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Brad Baerwald

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 03:20:47 PM »
Amen Jettawreck :chugbeer:  I'm sorry I DO NOT Trust those vacuum petcocks! If I could find an immaculate tank... I would MAYBE concider it... but it seems to me the tiniest piece of junk (from the old tank) can cause it to fail (even if it were brand spanking new)

Offline salnap

• Springfield MA
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 04:17:32 PM »
no, not really

I just know they have a lifespan. you cant expect a couple of o rings to last forever. and if you clean the carbs occasionally you check the float needle.

preventative maintenance   ;D

Offline salnap

• Springfield MA
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 04:18:44 PM »
Amen Jettawreck :chugbeer:  I'm sorry I DO NOT Trust those vacuum petcocks! If I could find an immaculate tank... I would MAYBE concider it... but it seems to me the tiniest piece of junk (from the old tank) can cause it to fail (even if it were brand spanking new)

there's always manual petcocks. easy to get in the habit of turning on and off :)

Offline salnap

• Springfield MA
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 04:54:20 PM »

16 year old bike, 2nd OEM petcock. first lasted well over 10 years

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 04:58:00 PM »
Go to the lawnmower shop and get a Briggs & Stratton inline shutoff valve. About $5. Then USE IT.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline salnap

• Springfield MA
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 05:10:28 PM »
That works too. Easy habit to get into  ;)

Offline Brad Baerwald

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 04:27:06 AM »
Yeah and "inexpensive" too as long as it doesn't mess with flow... (and I see guys going on and on about venting, kinking, and filtering) but worth a try and a heck of alot easier to deal with then another bent con. rod  :hitfan:

Offline JDM

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 06:11:51 AM »
Yeah and "inexpensive" too as long as it doesn't mess with flow... (and I see guys going on and on about venting, kinking, and filtering) but worth a try and a heck of alot easier to deal with then another bent con. rod  :hitfan:

Murphy has a very good manual petcock conversion kit designed to replace your old Connie killer petcock at a good price, $60.  http://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?products_id=483  If it were me, I would send your float bowls to SISF ASAP to install overflow tubes, $80. This will be the best money you can ever spend to protect your Connie. HTH
If you have seen heaven, I am sure something scared the hell out of you.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 06:26:14 AM »
The B&S flows plenty of fuel for a 1000cc engine. I still use em. And I use one on my home made workbench fuel tank.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Brad Baerwald

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 03:39:05 PM »
SISF, How long (just curious) is the turn around on you doing both the overflow tubes and the (entry level) Jet kitting?  Can you tell me the cost too? (sorry if those are improper questions)

Offline Brad Baerwald

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 03:40:29 PM »
SISF, How long (just curious) is the turn around on you doing both the overflow tubes and the (entry level) Jet kitting?  Can you tell me the cost too? (sorry if those are improper questions)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 03:48:32 PM »
You would probably be better off emailing Steve directly.

https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home