Author Topic: How do I keep it from Hydro-ing again?  (Read 50488 times)

Offline Brad Baerwald

Re: How do I keep it from Hydro-ing again?
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2015, 05:12:17 PM »
Thanks gPink!  will do
I'm just doing the best I can, with the little bit I got!

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2015, 08:44:14 PM »
Turn around time is usually a couple days, or less. Unless SISF is vacationing, but not very often.
I'm sure he will let you know promptly.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 07:11:36 PM »
He is on vacation for a few days but will be back and ready to do your carbs.
 By the time you ship them to him he will be back and he normally  turns them around in one day.
That is not true about the OEM petcock failing from a tiny piece of dirt. As a matter of fact the new OEM petcock come with a new super fine screen / filter built in (which by now yours has already deformed and is no longer filtering hence the damage to your engine.)
I have been down the road of , manual petcocks, filter, electric shut off and many other 'preventative' options. Nothing but nothing is better than the OEM petcock, they work perfect always unless you do not maintain them or fail to  replace them when they get very old. That goes for anything. Dont blame the petcock, blame the owner.

By the way Brad, when you posted about your engine not running right I was the first person to tell you to do a compression check and that your cam is off one tooth.
You did not listen to me then either. Just saying is all.

Get those over flow tubes installed NOW~!.. dont think, dont delay just do it!!!
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Brad Baerwald

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 11:27:35 PM »
DM...no sir, TRUST me I was listening!! I just wasn't ready (for all the reasons I said) mainly I had never done one and I didn't think I could even get the tester on the inner 2 cylinders. The other "give away" (to the timing issue) should have been, the (fairly big) puff of pressure coming out of the petcock vacuum line when I cranked it over on the battery!!  I remember thinking the first time I turned her over and that happened.. "that can't be right"... but then she started and ran smooth but no power.  Once I got desperate enough I over came my resitance to change LOL.

beside I was still learning to trust you guys...that's an "earned thing"  I've been around long enough to know to move slow on that one! but I WAS (and still am) listening!   THANKS BTW!! 8)

Offline JDM

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2015, 07:05:22 AM »
He is on vacation for a few days but will be back and ready to do your carbs.
 By the time you ship them to him he will be back and he normally  turns them around in one day.
That is not true about the OEM petcock failing from a tiny piece of dirt. As a matter of fact the new OEM petcock come with a new super fine screen / filter built in (which by now yours has already deformed and is no longer filtering hence the damage to your engine.)
I have been down the road of , manual petcocks, filter, electric shut off and many other 'preventative' options. Nothing but nothing is better than the OEM petcock, they work perfect always unless you do not maintain them or fail to  replace them when they get very old. That goes for anything. Dont blame the petcock, blame the owner.

By the way Brad, when you posted about your engine not running right I was the first person to tell you to do a compression check and that your cam is off one tooth.
You did not listen to me then either. Just saying is all.

Get those over flow tubes installed NOW~!.. dont think, dont delay just do it!!!

I respectfully disagree with you when it comes to the OEM petcock. If it is good as you think it is, there wouldn't be so many Connies in the bone yard because of hydrolock. The valve has to seat against the the head pressure in the tank. If pressure builds up in the tank (and it doesn't take very much - about the same amount as it takes to unseat the float needles), it will unseat the valve. Steve has the facts and figures about the cracking pressure on the float needles. At one time I knew that pressure but I'm an old fart and I can't remember. 

In order to stay closed, the valve uses an o-ring seal against a metal seat. It can fail for many reasons, the biggest being its design flaws. If junk gets in there, it can't fully close. The tank filter is not a super fine mesh, so it lets lots of junk into the fuel system. If you don't believe that, do as I did and put a settling bowl between the petcock and carburetor and you will see how much debris you get through the screen. I have read in the post here that people have purchased new petcocks and they still leak right out of the box. Some try to rebuild them and they leak.

Yes, I agree maintenance is the key to keeping these old girls on the road. Mother KAW had its head up its a$$ when it designed the fuel system on the C10. Steve came up with the retro fit for overflow tubes that works to help prevent hydrolock and Mother chose not to. Did you know the 1200 Voyager has the same float bowls as the C10 Connie, but it also has overflow tubes? Therefore, I don't think the EPA was dictating the fuel system design as both bikes were being built at the same time.   
If you have seen heaven, I am sure something scared the hell out of you.

Offline salnap

• Springfield MA
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2015, 12:20:21 PM »
The pet cock leak would have to be a pretty steady flow...but if  they all leak, right out of the box, go with a manual petcock. Overflow tubes don't correct the leaky petcock OR the float needles. I guess what I'm saying is manual petcock  sounds like a better and easier fix than tubes.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2015, 01:10:21 PM »
Uh-oh... :popcorn:
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline salnap

• Springfield MA
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2015, 01:24:42 PM »
Uh-oh... :popcorn:

uh oh? and pop corn? what do you know that I don't know?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2015, 03:54:29 PM »
A game of ifs.....

Offline salnap

• Springfield MA
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2015, 04:37:42 PM »
Yeah, ifs. If you put in a new  vacuum petcock,  it might leak, it might not. If you put in new needle floats, they might work, they might not. If you put in overflow tubes, you didn't fix the leaky petcock OR float needles.
You just wait for a puddle of fuel to tell you one or both are leaking.
The manual petcock is sounding better.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2015, 05:12:25 PM »
Yeah, ifs. If you put in a new  vacuum petcock,  it might leak, it might not. If you put in new needle floats, they might work, they might not. If you put in overflow tubes, you didn't fix the leaky petcock OR float needles.
You just wait for a puddle of fuel to tell you one or both are leaking.
The manual petcock is sounding better.
If you remember to turn it off....every time.

Offline salnap

• Springfield MA
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2015, 06:00:29 PM »
That's the way we used to do it...shut it off a block before we parked

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2015, 06:10:46 PM »

And I can pretty much guarantee that no one will remember 100% of the time, every time. If you don't remember, then it's worthless.
A functioning OEM auto type petcock with overflow protected bowls is the perfect solution.

Offline salnap

• Springfield MA
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2015, 06:18:55 PM »
That's what I said earlier. OEM. But all I keep reading is  OEM will leak and you will hydrolock if you don't install tubes.

'Smatter of fact, I typed OEM petcock way back, you quoted me asking if I felt lucky. A functioning petcock shouldn't require tubes.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2015, 08:31:36 PM »
That's what I said earlier. OEM. But all I keep reading is  OEM will leak and you will hydrolock if you don't install tubes.

'Smatter of fact, I typed OEM petcock way back, you quoted me asking if I felt lucky. A functioning petcock shouldn't require tubes.

A perfectly functioning OEM petcock doesn't require overflows. But I'm not lucky enough in my experiences to rely on it always continuing to function properly, so I had overflows installed. Maybe, hopefully, never will matter. But, I will never worry about it again or have to try to remember to turn on/off a manual one.
Just my preference. Seems pretty much foolproof, as in this fool can't go wrong with it. Seems the odds of failure may be relatively costly and inconvienent.

Offline Brad Baerwald

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2015, 06:58:29 AM »
The "back and forth" here is great!  I can see each person's point and I thank everyone for their viewpoint,  This is what I've condensed  out of this for me:

OEM petcock USUALLY works... (if maintained and not too old.. any one got the magic #? lol)

Manual petcock... are only as good as the guy using it (many "senior momments" here ha ha)

Over flow tubes.... a MUST in both cases because neither choice fixes the actual problem that
1) float needles valves do not allways work perfectly
2) (and the biggest problem) the "down hill" design of the fuel / air system

so it's overfloe tubes for sure (cause as I look at your posts, nothing else can guarantee, and not getting them means you like to gamble)

i also ordered the manual Petcock... but NOT because I nolonger trust the OEM one... but because the manual one allows me too "un-stick" a float valve AS I drive down the road!!

Thanks guys!  This connie will never "Hydro" again!

Offline salnap

• Springfield MA
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2015, 08:43:44 AM »
Didn't mean to hijack your thread Brad. Just looking for info/ answers myself. Owned a few bikes, both manual and vac petcock. 
My next question is this : overflow tubes go from there bowl to...? Drain hoses?

Offline Brad Baerwald

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2015, 08:53:33 AM »
No problem (I would never have seen it as a "High Jack")

Yes as I understand it you are correct. the idea (I surmise) is that these tubes sit at a magic level in the float bowls that are obviously  above the normal (operating) fuel level but lower than the point at which fuel starts to run out of the main needle jets, DOWN HILL, into the intake manifold...

with the tubes installed the fuel never breaches into the intakes but flows out the tubes, to where ever you run the drain lines. At least that's how I understand it.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2015, 09:17:08 AM »
yes, to ground

Offline Brad Baerwald

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2015, 09:26:57 AM »
OH good point! you would NOT want the drain lines to end up higher than the point at where they connect to the overflow nipples... THAT WOULD defeat the WHOLE thing!!! (because of the laws of physics LOL!!!! :doh: