Author Topic: Tire Bead Ignominy  (Read 26246 times)

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
Tire Bead Ignominy
« on: August 05, 2015, 06:31:16 PM »
The lovely Michelin front 120/70R18 PR2 had run through its tread, so I popped it off and mounted a Dunlop K701. Normally if I get the tire centered on the rim, and a bit of soapy water on the bead, I can seat the tire with a bicycle pump. Not this one, although I pumped until the sweat flew.

Then I tried a local automotive store (Canadian Tire), they have an air hose with a pretty good flow rate. No go, again.

Last choice, a dealer. They took the wheel into the back room, performed their magic to seat the tire and balanced the wheel, all for $25 CDN. I guess I shouldn't always complain about dealers.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline salnap

• Springfield MA
Re: Tire Bead Ignominy
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 07:17:30 PM »
Some guys use a ratchet strap, around the diameter,  helps seat it.

I've never seen anyone use a bike pump. Sounds pretty cool. I never would've guessed you could build up enough pressure.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 07:18:59 PM »
There's always ether.  8)

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 08:51:29 PM »
Some guys use a ratchet strap, around the diameter,  helps seat it.

I've never seen anyone use a bike pump. Sounds pretty cool. I never would've guessed you could build up enough pressure.
Should have said, I tried the ratchet strap idea, no joy.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline salnap

• Springfield MA
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 03:17:58 AM »
sorry about the no joy. id still like to see the bike pump method. funny how this one tire just didn't want to cooperate

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 08:22:04 AM »
Wow, you must be a stronger man than I. I wouldn't even attempt with a bicycle pump. I always use a ratchet strap but I also have a nice compressor. Takes me about 15 seconds to hear the 2 pops. If you lived a couple of thousand miles further south in the Austin area I would be happy to mount your tires for you.  8)

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 02:00:26 PM »
I think it was my Azaro on the rear that gave me the exact same problem. I tried all the methods but could not get it to work. I finally had to take it in the get it mounted.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 02:43:06 PM »
There's always ether.  8)
+1 Used to do it on big truck tires all the time. Whoosh!!!
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline gwrench

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 02:44:51 PM »
I'm no tire pro but I've mounted a lot of tires over the years as a mechanic. Some tires sizes just seem to be harder than others to seat. I have a feeling that the tire guys or dealers that get the job in the end just put air in them till they seat- whatever the pressure. I get pretty spooked as pressures go up but I haven't had an explosion yet.

My only tip is to use a Murphy's oil soap in a stiff dilution to lube things up. It is slicker than dish soap.

I can't imagine using a bike pump. Ether works good on big tires, I've never tried it on small stuff.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 03:59:20 PM »
I'm no tire pro but I've mounted a lot of tires over the years as a mechanic. Some tires sizes just seem to be harder than others to seat. I have a feeling that the tire guys or dealers that get the job in the end just put air in them till they seat- whatever the pressure. I get pretty spooked as pressures go up but I haven't had an explosion yet.

My only tip is to use a Murphy's oil soap in a stiff dilution to lube things up. It is slicker than dish soap.

I can't imagine using a bike pump. Ether works good on big tires, I've never tried it on small stuff.
Murphy's, huh... I'll have to try that. I've been using laundry soap and water for years, just because it's handy in the garage. Just mounted a tire yesterday and had an issue. The first bead came over with some irons and rim protectors, and the second bead always comes off for me by just pushing it off by hand. But not this time. I was spent and the tire was slick, and I gave up. I ended up taking a utility knife to the sidewall and making an access hole, and cut the bead to push it off. Never had to do that before, but sometimes stuff happens. Kinda like your tire not inflating.

It worked, just a pain in the butt.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Summit670

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 05:18:47 PM »
I have mounted all my mc tires for over 40 years.   Always used tire irons to dismount and air compressor to seat baed.  Never had any real trouble till I was mounting a 240mm low profile tire on my Yam Raider.

To remove the old 210mm, I ended up tired and impatient and used my angle grinder where the tire was over the rim and rim was protected by rim savers.  It was so slick, cutting the steel belted raidial like butter. 

Mounting was much easier but seating was a exercise in frustration, even using napa tire lube.  Trying to stay within mfr bead seating pressure recommendations wasnt working.  I was ready to take to dealer and my friend said the dealer would take the tire in the back and just put air in until it seats and come back to give you the bill.  Then i put more pressure and it seated.   

Lastly, I ordered the no-mar tire mounting bar for a recent front tire install and it went super easy.  I made a homemade car rim wheel holder.   Looking forward to trying it on other tires when time comes..
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 05:44:28 PM »
how you liking the 701 vs the PR2? I would think you  would not like the 701 compared to a PR2.
Did you go to a proper sized 110/80? It fits the rim correctly and handles better.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 05:49:43 PM »
how you liking the 701 vs the PR2? I would think you  would not like the 701 compared to a PR2.
Did you go to a proper sized 110/80? It fits the rim correctly and handles better.
Haven't ridden the new K701 but I've had a couple on before. They're ok, I'd prefer a PR3 110/80R18 but this thing was cheap and it's approximately the same width.

Offline ldog

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 08:25:05 AM »
I've been mounting my own tires for few years. I normally use my Cycle Hill machine, RuGlide and a decent compressor and have had no issues, until this year. I decided to try the PR3 on front (stock size for the '88) and couldn't get the tire to seat.

I tried ratcheting, bouncing - everything I could think of except ether (kinda skeered of it, LOL) and finally gave up and took it to a local bike shop who said they'd set it for $25. At this point, I was frustrated so off I go.

They worked on the tire for over 2 hours (small shop so I was back in the shop watching/helping). They tried ratcheting, ether, took the tire off the rim 2 different time before they decided the 'normal' methods wouldn't work.

What did work for them was putting 4x4 blocks of wood around the tire and heating it up (to bring the sidewalls out a little). Put it on and it sealed the first time! They worked their butts off on it and didn't charge me any extra (I even tried to buy them some dinner after they got it on, LOL).

Their opinion was that the tire was probably on the bottom of a stack during shipment and got 'compressed' and need to be stretched back into shape. I now have one more thing to try for stubborn tires :-)
Brent C. in TN
'88 Connie - soon to be for sale
2012 Connie - new to me and a work in progress :-)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 08:29:37 AM »
I've been mounting my own tires for few years. I normally use my Cycle Hill machine, RuGlide and a decent compressor and have had no issues, until this year. I decided to try the PR3 on front (stock size for the '88) and couldn't get the tire to seat.

I tried ratcheting, bouncing - everything I could think of except ether (kinda skeered of it, LOL) and finally gave up and took it to a local bike shop who said they'd set it for $25. At this point, I was frustrated so off I go.

They worked on the tire for over 2 hours (small shop so I was back in the shop watching/helping). They tried ratcheting, ether, took the tire off the rim 2 different time before they decided the 'normal' methods wouldn't work.

What did work for them was putting 4x4 blocks of wood around the tire and heating it up (to bring the sidewalls out a little). Put it on and it sealed the first time! They worked their butts off on it and didn't charge me any extra (I even tried to buy them some dinner after they got it on, LOL).

Their opinion was that the tire was probably on the bottom of a stack during shipment and got 'compressed' and need to be stretched back into shape. I now have one more thing to try for stubborn tires :-)

First off, welcome to the forum ldog! Yeah, one thing I forgot to say is I always put the tire out in the sun before mounting. I like the tire nice and warm, makes everything easier (for Brian: easy boys!). I also remove the valve stem so the flow from the compressor is max. I've never had a problem doing it that way.

Offline ldog

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2015, 09:39:32 AM »
Thanks! I've been around several years just didn't realize this was my first post in the 'new' forum, LOL. :doh:
Brent C. in TN
'88 Connie - soon to be for sale
2012 Connie - new to me and a work in progress :-)