Author Topic: Old Farmer's Almanac Predicts Another Frigid Winter  (Read 6007 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Old Farmer's Almanac Predicts Another Frigid Winter
« on: August 18, 2015, 06:33:01 AM »

Updated at 2:37 PM EDT, Aug 16, 2015

Just when you thought you had gotten over last winter, be warned: The Old Farmer's Almanac predicts it will be super cold with a slew of snow for much of the country, even in places that don't usually see too much of it, like the Pacific Northwest.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/national-international/Super-Cold-Slew-of-Snow-Predicted-for-New-England-by-Old-Farmers-Almanac-321987221.html
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
Re: Old Farmer's Almanac Predicts Another Frigid Winter
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 07:15:38 AM »
I'm guessing that's not a picture from your local area...     ::)

Some of the local old timers are saying the same thing.  Here's hoping they're wrong!

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 07:34:15 AM »
Now that I live in Austin, I'm not worried.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 09:53:53 AM »
Well, if it is in the Farmer's Almanac then it must be true! That tears it for me: 2 X 10 roof trusses for me.

;D

Brian

Updated at 2:37 PM EDT, Aug 16, 2015

Just when you thought you had gotten over last winter, be warned: The Old Farmer's Almanac predicts it will be super cold with a slew of snow for much of the country, even in places that don't usually see too much of it, like the Pacific Northwest.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/national-international/Super-Cold-Slew-of-Snow-Predicted-for-New-England-by-Old-Farmers-Almanac-321987221.html
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 03:36:15 PM »

The oak trees in my yard are loaded with acorns this year. 
The squirrels are getting fat.
Another good winter coming!

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 03:37:42 PM »
Winter w/o snow is just cold. Snow is good. That's what winter is for.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 04:43:48 AM »
Don't like winter, don't like snow, don't like cold.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 04:56:43 AM »

My mantra from Dec til March.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 07:23:53 AM »
Godzilla vs the Blob......or climatologists/meteorologists say.."could be; chance of; likelihood of; the models say; we'll watch this closely..etc etc.."

Might as well go with the Old Farmer's Almanac, at least it seems to take a stand on the issue instead of weather waffling.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 07:54:39 AM »
It's been so hot this Summer, I'll take it.
It was crazy flood rains all Spring, and then super hot since then.
How about a nice 70 degree day for a change. ::)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 09:41:18 AM »
In MN it's been one of the nicest summers ever.  Only a few days of heat and humidity.  Mostly in the low 80's with moderate humidity.  Enough rain to keep everything going without needing to run the sprinklers. 

I hope the almanac is right.  If nothing else it might control some of the warmer rhetoric.  Plus I like snow.  I really like it deep both for skiing and snowblowing. 

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 11:49:22 AM »
Yeah, weather prediction is just not a very well defined science. Not the weather forecaster's fault at all, just too many variables to make a decent model of what is going on. I believe 'The Butterfly Effect' covers the entire problem here.

Weather forecasts are excellent for about 72 hours, spotty for five to seven days, and witchcraft for longer than that. But at least the Farmer's Almanac is witty witchcraft.

Brian

Godzilla vs the Blob......or climatologists/meteorologists say.."could be; chance of; likelihood of; the models say; we'll watch this closely..etc etc.."

Might as well go with the Old Farmer's Almanac, at least it seems to take a stand on the issue instead of weather waffling.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 12:38:44 PM »
Yeah, weather prediction is just not a very well defined science. Not the weather forecaster's fault at all, just too many variables to make a decent model of what is going on. I believe 'The Butterfly Effect' covers the entire problem here.

Weather forecasts are excellent for about 72 hours, spotty for five to seven days, and witchcraft for longer than that. But at least the Farmer's Almanac is witty witchcraft.

Brian

So true! Yet there are many that want to completely change our economy based on weather prediction 100 years in the future.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 10:48:50 AM »
Yeah Steve, not a lot of rain here in Cleveland, and 80 degree days are great! Hope hurricane Erika does drown you much more. ;D
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 11:41:00 AM »

almost forgot what it was like during 10 years in Va.
but it did snow, and when it does this, everything comes to s creaching halt....

that was about the worst I saw there just north of Richmond...

nothing compared to up north...
not soo much here in Ohio.... we expect it....

what I DONT miss about Va. are the hurricanes.... and been thru a couple doozies...

that crap was NOT fun....
that was damage from Isabelle iirc, nd we lived about 75 miles fro the beach and Chessi bay... Richmond was devastated,
and again it happened by Gaston a year later...
I got power back about 20 hours after, most in my area were out for 3 weeks...
without power, you got no water, we all had wells...you need water to flush toilets... you need power to pump gasoline....

I have tons of photos, but I have to stick them in photobucket...

here's the top five most devastating there, we sat thru 2 of them....

http://blogs.nbc12.com/weather/2015/06/the-top-five-worst-hurricanes-in-central-virginia-history.html

that big snowstorm in my pics was the winter before we decided "screw this, if its gonna snow like this, were moving back where its safe..."
that sux.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 12:20:56 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 12:34:20 PM »
MOB

No secret the snow can pile up some places.  I remember a few times growing up where we had to crawl out a window to find a shovel to get the doors open. 

Last big dump of snow I saw was on an April fishing trip.  We left Rochester, MN in a light rain.  4 hours into the trip near Aitkin the freezing rain started.  By Grand Rapids we where into a foot of snow.  At Virginia they where dragging out the barricades to close the highway as we went through.  Pulled up infront of the cabin (near Orr, MN) the snow was headlight deep on my friend's F250.  We where stuck in the middle of the road.  Broke out the shovels to clear a path in.  This was the next morning. 

We had to find someone to plow the town roads to get out to the state hwy to go fishing.  Our fishing destination was Rainy River AKA Canadian border- with NO SNOW! 
The walleye fishing was the best I have ever seen.   3 guys on the trip boated 100+ walleye per day!  I got this 57" Sturgeon my walleye rod!

2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 01:08:01 PM »
those pics of snow were in Ha over Va., it never snows like that.... heheheh

but this is from Ohio, 12/2001 and was a 20 hour accumulation, when I left the house to do some errands the ground was dry, and clean,  by the time I got home 2 hours later, we left and bought a snowblower.... I used it 4 times overnight, this was the following morning....
just another Ohio winter day for us....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 02:21:39 PM »
...Our fishing destination was Rainy River AKA Canadian border- with NO SNOW! 

We live in Canada about 15 minutes north of Lake Ontario, and I've noticed that when we go to Watertown or Syracuse (in NY just south of the eastern end of the lake) that the snow seems to accumulate much quicker there than up here...

I guess the north winds pick up the moisture from the lake and drop it when it hits land again heading south...

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 05:41:48 PM »

Time to fill the oil tank, #2 fuel oil.
Price is currently $1.879/gallon around here.
Six months ago it was more than double that.