Author Topic: Short Shift Lever  (Read 4235 times)

YoDoc

Short Shift Lever
« on: May 31, 2011, 11:59:36 PM »
Hey there Gurus.

Ever hear of anybody putting a shorter shift lever on? I would like the peg a bit further away...

Thanks

Offline tvpierce

• '99 Concours
Re: Short Shift Lever
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 03:58:17 AM »
Hey there Gurus.

Ever hear of anybody putting a shorter shift lever on? I would like the peg a bit further away...

Thanks

I've not heard of any... but I have an extra one that's longer, from a GPz (I think).  What's interesting is that it's made of regular mild steel -- not cast aluminum like the original Connie shift lever.  So it could be easily welded to add or reduce length.

I presume you want more length because you have large feet?  That's a common complaint with riders who wear size 11+ shoes.  If that's the case, you may want to try a set of Buell pegs.  They move the pegs down and back... I really like mine.
I don't want a pickle... I just wanna ride my motorsickle.

YoDoc

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 11:37:53 AM »
I've not heard of any... but I have an extra one that's longer, from a GPz (I think).  What's interesting is that it's made of regular mild steel -- not cast aluminum like the original Connie shift lever.  So it could be easily welded to add or reduce length.

I presume you want more length because you have large feet?  That's a common complaint with riders who wear size 11+ shoes.  If that's the case, you may want to try a set of Buell pegs.  They move the pegs down and back... I really like mine.

Do they bolt up without mods to the bike? I can't seem to find any pics online that aren't behind a password wall....

Offline Sparkie

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 11:51:59 AM »
Hey there Gurus.

Thanks
I don't think you want a shorter lever really? That will put the shifter closer to the peg. Look into the Buell pegs as a previous poster said. Maybe someone can post up some pics of that setup. Mark

Offline GF-in-CA

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 12:44:30 PM »
I don't think you want a shorter lever really? That will put the shifter closer to the peg. Look into the Buell pegs as a previous poster said. Maybe someone can post up some pics of that setup. Mark

The Concours shifter pivot point is forward of the shifter pad, so making it shorter will move the pad further away from the peg.
Gary F.
1998 C10
California North State

Offline tvpierce

• '99 Concours
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 07:10:38 PM »
Do they bolt up without mods to the bike? I can't seem to find any pics online that aren't behind a password wall....

Yes.  they require that the hole in the footpeg be drilled or reamed a tiny bit larger to fit the pivot pin on the Connie footpeg. 

Google "Buell Ulyssis footpegs" -- that's what I have.  If you Google just "Buell Footpegs" you'll also see the smaller/sportier pegs as well.  Those are cheaper ($30 vs $40) and seem to be more readily available.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 04:37:13 AM by tvpierce »

Offline KZBell

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 06:55:02 AM »
If you Google just "Buell Footpegs" you'll also see the smaller/sportier pegs as well.  Those are cheaper ($30 vs $40) and seem to be more readily available.

Are you refering to the Firebolt or the Blast pegs? Or are all three basically bolt on with a little drill work?
Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic

Offline elvin315

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 07:25:21 AM »

What wall? My album has thousands of pictures with open access. It may take you a while to find the pics but the short shift lever is in there I think.
http://www.pbase.com/elvin315/the_kawasaki_concours

Plus, check the ZX9R/ZX6R pegs Robert Johnson put on his Connie. Direct swap. Moved his foot 4cm back from the shift pad.
http://rides.webshots.com/album/128843247hzalbr

Offline tvpierce

• '99 Concours
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 10:06:18 AM »
Are you refering to the Firebolt or the Blast pegs? Or are all three basically bolt on with a little drill work?

Not the Blast.

Here's a link with how to and great pics for using them on a VFR.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/28334-new-lowered-footpegs-buell-ulysses/

Works the same on a Connie.