Author Topic: Hydrolock prevention:  (Read 10363 times)

Offline ZOT-ZG

Hydrolock prevention:
« on: June 16, 2011, 09:40:42 AM »
Here is my plan to prevent hydrolock. Since one of the problems is a failed fuel valve I will be installing an electric fuel cutoff valve into the fuel line. This valve is normally closed until it is energized. The valve is wired to a switched circuit so fuel flows only when the ignition is on. This mod is on my list after a rewiring of the auxiliary circuits. Anyone out there who can tell me why I’m FOS please let me know.

Thanks!
The older I get . . . the faster I was!

Offline snarf

• Arena
Re: Hydrolock prevention:
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
A few have done this mod.  Some with good results and some with not.  The problem is starving the bike for fuel, make sure that that the flow of the valve is enough for these beasts.  Good luck

2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 10:01:27 AM »
It has been tried with varying success. Some of the solenoids have a tendency to starve the carbbies on fuel. Link to solenoid you intend to use? Engine heat also may play a role in the longevity of the device.

Looks like Snarf beat me to it.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 10:02:28 AM »
Plus it's real hard to get a good gravity flow through the valve. 
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Tele130

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 04:24:07 PM »
Too bad no one has come up with a mod that allows the fuel selector valve on the petcock to have an "Off" position.
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline Equito

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 06:34:10 PM »
Too bad no one has come up with a mod that allows the fuel selector valve on the petcock to have an "Off" position.
/quote]

You mean other than Bergmen's, right?  Converts the auto petcock to manual with on, off and reserve positions.  Works great.  19 guys will say "but what if you forget to turn it off" and, well, what can I say.

Offline throb

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 06:36:47 PM »
Here is my plan to prevent hydrolock

Dude, just part with the bowls for a few days by sending them to SISF for the overflow tube treatment.  You won't be sorry.
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline medicevans

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 07:23:43 PM »
  Dude, just part with the bowls for a few days by sending them to SISF for the overflow tube treatment.  You won't be sorry.

+1
Steve's bowl service costs $70 plus around $10 (maybe) to send them to him. AND you know they work. No failures, no starving the bike for fuel, no tinkering, no chances. Just results. Why screw with gimmicky trials when there's a fool-proof solution? 

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 07:30:19 PM »

Oh but they have, its called a Pingel fuel valve. 
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline Tele130

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 07:42:31 PM »
/quote]

You mean other than Bergmen's, right?  Converts the auto petcock to manual with on, off and reserve positions.  Works great.  19 guys will say "but what if you forget to turn it off" and, well, what can I say.

Crap, Don't tell Dan I forgot about his mod :banghead:.....He'll never talk to me again. ;D 

Thanks for the reminder. :thumbs:

Doug Colton

Offline DaveO430

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 07:43:21 PM »
Still you need a shut off valve that works, I don't like the idea of my expensive fuel leaking out on the ground.
I think the elecrtic solenoid is a great idea, if it works.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 07:45:30 PM »
I have the electronic fuel valve, or should I say I tried it. I had issues with lack of  fuel flow and may have contributed to  vapor lock (not the same as hydro-lock).  It did not fix the problem of leaking float valves.  It is gathering dust somewhere in my garage.
The proper prevention of hydro lock is over flow tubes. Nothing else will prevent that, not  a manual or electronic valve or fuel  filters or other inline fuel interruption device.
Get overflow tubes and maintain the automatic stock  petcock.  JMHO.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Cavediver

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 07:56:57 PM »
Befor the crash some one posted a fuel pump system that they had installed. I believe that prevented hydrolock.

Jack

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 10:17:01 PM »
Oh but they have, its called a Pingel fuel valve.

Yep, no runs, no drips, no rebuilding, no hydrolock.
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline medicevans

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 05:52:59 AM »
Still you need a shut off valve that works, I don't like the idea of my expensive fuel leaking out on the ground.
I think the elecrtic solenoid is a great idea, if it works.
You mean a device that when the bike is on, fuel flows and when the bike is off the fuel stops?  Kind of like a properly functioning OEM petcock?............

Not trying to be an ass or throw cold water on your idea. I love seeing guys fab solutions to problems, but in this case your solution isn't fixing anything. When the solenoid fails due to heat/age/whatever and a float sticks open, your engine will hydrolock. The solenoid is the same thing as a vacuum petcock, only electric not vac operated. It doesn't provide any hydrolock protection whatsoever. It will eventually fail too. $20 of "expensive gas" is a whole hell of a lot better than $$$ to repair a hydrolocked engine!!  But do what you want.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 06:16:31 AM »
Yep, no runs, no drips, no rebuilding, no hydrolock.
Not true at all.   A properly maintained  automatic petcock controlled by the  vacuum of the engine is far better then a manual petcock  and a manual petcock does not prevent hydro lock, actually  it makes it more prone to hydro-lock. It is on all the time before and after you start and shut off the engine. An automatic is shut off the exact  second the engine is not running, much better then manual.   Both can be left in the ON position so that really does not prevent anything anyway.
Only over flow tubes can prevent hydro lock.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Tele130

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 02:56:40 PM »

There it is!!!!  I can attest to the reliability and functionality of Steve's over flow tubes.  I have a 2006 with only 5,000 miles on it when the orginal petcock bit the dust.  I ordered a new replacement from Murphs.  Wanta know what?  That one is bad too!!!!!  I awoke one morning to find at least a quart of fuel all over the garage floor.  At least my engine is safe thanks to Steve!!!!! :chugbeer: :thumbs: :hail:

Doug Colton

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 03:11:51 PM »
Not true at all.   A properly maintained  automatic petcock controlled by the  vacuum of the engine is far better then a manual petcock  and a manual petcock does not prevent hydro lock, actually  it makes it more prone to hydro-lock. It is on all the time before and after you start and shut off the engine. An automatic is shut off the exact  second the engine is not running, much better then manual.   Both can be left in the ON position so that really does not prevent anything anyway.

There is an OFF position. If it is OFF, no fuel can flow, therefore no hydro.

As to a vacuum petcock being "better" is entirely subjective - each has their benefits. If you have CRS disease, don't get a manual petcock, and the overflow tubes would be good insurance.
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 04:40:31 PM »
CRS? I used to know what that meant, but can't remember now  :o  Steve

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 05:23:12 PM »
CRS? I used to know what that meant, but can't remember now  :o  Steve
     I KNOW! I KNOW! :yikes:
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc