Author Topic: Trunk?  (Read 13464 times)

YoDoc

Trunk?
« on: May 20, 2011, 10:44:10 PM »
I searched, but did not find a thread about this, so, here goes...

What is the best trunk for my C10? I am of the opinion that a trunk is basically a trunk. I'm not looking for anything with lights and alarms, just a "third saddlebag" basically. Now, since I am looking for a third saddlebag, I'd like it to look like it could possibly be stock (I know they never made one). I've seen a few pics of bikes with good ones on, I just don't know what brand/model the trunk is.

Help?

Offline timsatx

• Arena
Re: Trunk?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 10:52:23 PM »
I like the Shad I got from Murphs. It is the smaller one and fits well with the bike. The larger one would be a little too large IMO.

Offline GF-in-CA

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 11:34:55 PM »
I have a Givi E45 trunk with a custom back rest.  The E45 is very reasonably priced and sturdy, though not as sleek looking as some of the more expensive models.

I got a good price and good service from this company:

http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi?pid=212

The Givi requires a mounting plate:

http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi?cart_id=1305955783.82690&pid=167&product=Givi

Gary F.
1998 C10
California North State

YoDoc

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 11:40:06 PM »
I have a Givi E45 trunk with a custom back rest.  The E45 is very reasonably priced and sturdy, though not as sleek looking as some of the more expensive models...

Ah, but the original bags aren't very sleek looking either! That Givi may be what I'm looking for. I think that, for me, I don't want a rounded, sleek top case with those boxy side bags! I like the 80's look my 03 has. I'd like to keep her looking funky fresh...

Offline Texanrider

• There's no excuse for what I am about to do...
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 03:46:26 AM »
Take a look at this trunk:

http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?cat_id=1&menu=DMY%20Trunk%20Series&product_id=285&s=prod.php

A friend had this on his cruiser and upgraded to a Harley trunk. We were syncing the carbs at his place and just for grins set that trunk on a bracket on my Connie, the black boxy look goes really well with the bike and it is high quality abs plastic. We are fabricating a bracket for it as he gave it ti me. You can fit 2 full face helmets. I'll post pics when i get it installed for a better look but I liked it.
09 Boulevard C50
95 Kawasaki Concours

Offline GF-in-CA

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 09:13:33 AM »
Ah, but the original bags aren't very sleek looking either! That Givi may be what I'm looking for. I think that, for me, I don't want a rounded, sleek top case with those boxy side bags! I like the 80's look my 03 has. I'd like to keep her looking funky fresh...

In addition to the price, I got the E45 because it fit well cosmetically with the stock bags, as you say.  After the stock bags cracked, I bought the ones in the photo, but have kept the Givi because it still does everything I need, and even though I've had it for about 5 years, it still works like new.
Gary F.
1998 C10
California North State

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 10:29:47 AM »
.......I'd like it to look like it could possibly be stock (I know they never made one). I've seen a few pics of bikes with good ones on, I just don't know what brand/model the trunk is.
Help?

The stock bags look similar to the Hepco & Becker Classic range. Whilst they're not identical, they do have similarities.

Here's a link to a UK site so they're still available http://www.motobins.co.uk/displayfinal.php?s=0&function=show&subs=182a&title=CLASSIC+PANNIERS+%26+TOP+BOX%27S&model=&bike=

Krauser also used to make something similar to H&B but nothing out there that I can find  :(
Paul OTP (near Windsor, GB).

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline TheSilverBullet

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 10:54:03 AM »
I just go the new Givi e55 nt, I am going to post a youtube review on it and post this weekend. It's really nice and fits 2 full size helmuts.
Or I can put my helmut, jacket, gloves and boots in it, I then use one of the side cases for my laptop and the other for my motorcycle cover, when I walk into the office no one knows I came on a motorclyce. Bottom Line love the new givi.

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 12:35:39 PM »
I think the Givi E45 matches the stockers the best.  I have never ran a shad, there is one guy at work that does though on a 950 Adventurer.  I have bounced my Givi out the back of my truck and down the interstate.  The reflective tape is peeling off the shad.  Those are my only data points, but I'm still recommending the Givi first.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline wyowanderer

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 12:49:43 PM »
First two photos are of my new Shad SH-46 which I really like.  I bought some rails to mount it on from Murph which drops the COG a bit and is a cleaner look IMO.  Much better quality than the JC Whitney box I had on before.  Third photo is of the JC Whitney box mounted up in the past. 
2002 Concours
COG #9461

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 01:08:03 PM »
Take a look at this trunk:

http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?cat_id=1&menu=DMY%20Trunk%20Series&product_id=285&s=prod.php

A friend had this on his cruiser and upgraded to a Harley trunk. We were syncing the carbs at his place and just for grins set that trunk on a bracket on my Connie, the black boxy look goes really well with the bike and it is high quality abs plastic. We are fabricating a bracket for it as he gave it ti me. You can fit 2 full face helmets. I'll post pics when i get it installed for a better look but I liked it.

Those look a lot like the old KG trunks available back in the '80's. I had one on my old V45 Sabre and sold it with the bike. I liked that case and looked for the name when I got the Connie, but they seem to be long gone.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

YoDoc

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 08:06:47 PM »
The stock bags look similar to the Hepco & Becker Classic range. Whilst they're not identical, they do have similarities.

Here's a link to a UK site so they're still available http://www.motobins.co.uk/displayfinal.php?s=0&function=show&subs=182a&title=CLASSIC+PANNIERS+%26+TOP+BOX%27S&model=&bike=

Krauser also used to make something similar to H&B but nothing out there that I can find  :(

I think this is my new favorite...

Offline F-106

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 10:48:21 PM »
I bought this trunk off e-bay from Cavaly customs. Good price $125.00. It come with a metal base plate and will hold 2 med size full face helmets. I put it on when the wife rides with me and remove it for back and forth during the week. I have had it for a few months now and would buy one again. hope this helps.
IN THRUST WE TRUST

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 07:24:38 AM »
There are a few members using this style of trunk.  I have one mounted on my '02.  I really like it. The only negative is that the latch can be pain to open sometimes
http://a1hardbags.com/motorcycle-trunks/vip-trunk/cat_4.html
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 07:26:40 AM »
I have that same boxy E45 for my trunk and two E36's for side cases.   They're very nice.  I added the optional luggage rack on the top of the trunk to strap additional stuff to.

Offline MiloMorai

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 05:26:51 PM »
I bought this trunk off e-bay from Cavaly customs. Good price $125.00. It come with a metal base plate and will hold 2 med size full face helmets. I put it on when the wife rides with me and remove it for back and forth during the week. I have had it for a few months now and would buy one again. hope this helps.
What rack is it mounted to?

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 06:07:42 PM »
What rack is it mounted to?

That's the add-on rack that Kawasaki offered.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Silver Connie

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 08:38:20 PM »
i picked up a VIP trunk for sixty beans off CL. No hardware so i welded up a bracket and made a mounting plate out of cutting board.  i kept the trunk at the same angle as the bags. i might be a little bias but its the best lookin trunk ive seen on a Conniferous Motoscudium.

Offline medicevans

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 04:42:38 PM »
I have a Milwalkee circular saw case with the guts cut out mounted to the back of mine. Cutting boards inside and out on the bottome for support. Painted black and everything is upholstered inside. Maybe have $35 in it, plus a lot of carpet left over. Could have I bought one for a little more and a lot less work? Sure, but I had a lot of fun doing it!  Plus it's a great conversation starter........

Offline Bosgarage57

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 06:08:19 PM »
I'm cheap so I have a JC whitney box, http://www.jcwhitney.com/motorcycle-travel-trunks/p2010969.jcwx.  Cost me about 80 shipped.  I bolted it down to the original luggage rack though becuase they have been known to flop around and break.  Dad and I actually put LED's in it though for turn signals and brake lights.  Does its job very well.