Author Topic: Painting the engine  (Read 2144 times)

Offline zsiska

• Arena
Painting the engine
« on: June 07, 2012, 05:36:23 PM »
just trying to figure out the best spray paint to freshen up the motor.  I plan on just taping up what I don't want sprayed and hitting the portions of the motor I can.  I was thinking of using grill paint since it is high temp.  Only problem is that it is somewhat dull.  Any suggestions would be great.  Thanks.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
Re: Painting the engine
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 08:54:28 PM »
use black semi- gloss black engine paint, you'll get a nice match. Steve

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 09:59:29 AM »
+1.

Hey Zak!  Also wash the bike with a good detergent and let dry (or ride a few miles or leaf blower).   Then wipe everything down with a good solvent where you are going to paint.  There is usually a super fine oil mist / road grime that you can't see and it will cause your paint to fisheye in places.  Like Steve said, use semi-gloss or matte depending on what the brand you choose calls it.  The 1200 degree paints don't look as nice as the 500 degree ones nor do they last as long (at least my experience).  They tend to flake later as if they went on too dry.  Must be something in the recipe.  Watch the engine paints below 60d, they don't dry smoothly for some reason.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Gitbox

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 02:58:52 PM »
use black semi- gloss black engine paint, you'll get a nice match

What brand and from where?

Thanks.
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 07:29:12 PM »

What brand and from where?

Thanks.

Dupli-Color DE1635 SemiGloss Black. They also have the engine primer. AutoZone, O'Reilleys, maybe Walmart.

Rustoleum has the same products, also a good match. They may even be the same company(?).
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 05:50:30 AM »
Thanks to everyone.  Got my paint and I am going to try and spray it tonight.  We'll see how it turns out.  I guess it is no different than painting a home.  It is all in the prep work.