Author Topic: An Iwo Jima vet, Corpus Christi, USS Lexington and 50th Ford Mustang rally  (Read 3684 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Rode down to Corpus Christi this weekend and went to the USS Lexington museum. While there, a 50th anniversary Ford Mustang rally was going on. They had over 100 mustangs up on the deck of the ship. One of them driven there by a WWII vet and a veteran of the battle of Iwo Jima. Considering that battle took place almost 70 years ago, he was amazingly young and spry. It was an honor meeting him and shaking his hand.

Bill (Iwo Jima vet) and I

Offline Arata

I saw lots of Mustangs heading south on I-35, now I know why!
2014 V Strom 1000
2008 C14
2004 ZRX1200R
1993 GSXR 1100

Offline ZG

• Arena

Offline connie_rider

Wish I could have been there. For the Mustangs, but more to meet the Vet!
They are getting fewer and fewer and deserve our respect..

NOTE: 've been considering setting up a weekend ride to see the Lex for this area.
Asked at the National and didn't get much replies.

If I set up a get together,,, would anyone be interested in attending?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Cool pics! 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Wish I could have been there. For the Mustangs, but more to meet the Vet!
They are getting fewer and fewer and deserve our respect..

NOTE: 've been considering setting up a weekend ride to see the Lex for this area.
Asked at the National and didn't get much replies.

If I set up a get together,,, would anyone be interested in attending?

Ride safe, Ted

Depending on timing I would be interested.

sailor_chic

I also was in Corpus Christi for the weekend. I was just east of the Lexington,  however I was on another ship, working.
That evening while working out on deck, I heard many cars leaving the area with their foot to the floor as they went over the bridge. I later learned that there was a Mustang show.
Finished loading early morning and sailed at 10 am. By 1230 we were being towed to an old Navy dock on the east end of the bay in corpus.  Blown engine! Here we sit as they swap out a crankshaft.

Offline connie_rider

After seeing this post, I stopped by and checked on a WW-II (Navy/Pacific) vet that lives in out neighborhood.
I met him several years ago, talk with him when I see him, and help him keep his scooter running.

Mike was one of the coxswain's (on the Higgins Boats) that landed the attacking forces at Okinawa.
He doesn't say much about that day, other than he made "multiple" trips to and from the beach.

When I saw him, he told me had some bad news,,,
(he said) he had to sell his scooter (as his wife wouldn't let him ride it any more).
I think he's about 90 years old.....
I'm impressed!
Remember the Vets!!!!

Ride safe, Ted

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
truly "The Greatest Generation" and yes they fought and survived the unimaginable.  Makes me feel like my time during Desert Storm should not be in the same category as war veteran, they deserve another term that shines light on their struggles.