Author Topic: Tire wear question  (Read 1945 times)

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
Tire wear question
« on: June 28, 2011, 09:10:20 PM »
Greetings from the road. Both tires are trapezoiding real bad and the rear has these thin edges on the tread that you can peel off with your fingers. Anything I can do or is this just how roadsmarts wear?
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline mlf73

Re: Tire wear question
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 07:31:41 AM »
I'm running a Roadsmart on the front of my bike and it started cupping later in its life.  I guess that is similar to what you are seeing....the center contact patch is in pretty good shape but the edges are worn down/cupped as you go toward each edge of the tire since that's where the softer rubber compound is used.  My tire has over 13K on it now I think but I haven't had the thin edges develop that you are able to peel off on your rear tire yet.  I would guess this is where the two rubber compounds meet....not sure if it's normal though.  Are your tires pretty much near the end of their life at this point?
02 Conc- Corbin seat, Cee Baileys shield, MCL fork brace, 4 pot calipers w/zrxmopar's adapters, 310mm rotors, SS brake lines, 1.1 Sonic springs, C14 rear shock, TCro's stick coils, SiSF's economy jet kit, front tip-over bars w/hwy pegs, KB bar risers, fender extender, block off plates, HVMP bar end weights, grip heaters, Murphs fuse block, 55W HID upgrade, relo'd coolant bottle & helmet locks

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 07:47:24 AM »
No, 3500 miles. That's why I was wondering.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline mlf73

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 08:39:26 AM »
That sounds like really low mileage for Roadsmarts to be cupping that badly.  I've never ran a Roadsmart on the rear but I'd expect it would hold up similarly to a front tire. 
02 Conc- Corbin seat, Cee Baileys shield, MCL fork brace, 4 pot calipers w/zrxmopar's adapters, 310mm rotors, SS brake lines, 1.1 Sonic springs, C14 rear shock, TCro's stick coils, SiSF's economy jet kit, front tip-over bars w/hwy pegs, KB bar risers, fender extender, block off plates, HVMP bar end weights, grip heaters, Murphs fuse block, 55W HID upgrade, relo'd coolant bottle & helmet locks

Offline Summit670

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 07:07:20 PM »
For the rear you can use a wood rasp to shave off the cupping.  Not sure if it is a rasp or file, but you put bike on centerstand and run it in gear.  With tire turning, rest the rasp/file on tire and shavings will fall off like butter.  Just make sure you hold the tool with your hand at the bottom just in case the tool grabs the tire.  Safety safety. 

Any ideas how to do the front tire?  I brought this up a few years ago but the old info is gone and I never did do that tire, replaced it instead after another 1200 miles.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.