Author Topic: Forum and member sensitivity to topics  (Read 4534 times)

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Forum and member sensitivity to topics
« on: June 30, 2020, 02:45:37 PM »
I have a question for you all...

Is this forum, its mods and members sensitive like little girls? It seems that the other forum has a lot of sensitive members and mods, and so threads get warned and locked down frequently. It is annoying.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: Forum and member sensitivity to topics
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 03:23:30 PM »

STIRRING IT UP AGAIN... ?

actually, here is not run by COG.. so as long as Jim and Rick find humor.. it's all good.. thank goodness.. :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :stirpot: :hitfan: :deadhorse: :hail: :hail: :hail:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 03:25:55 PM »
hahahaha. No not at all. Just getting tired of all the little girls and resulting locked threads.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 03:28:46 PM »
that is the result, of picking scabsyou won't last long there for certain...  off wounds.. and making them bleed.. over, and over...

but in realistic terms, if you are a "forum" user, and not a "membah"... the other place is free to give you "das boot..." anytime they want.. so.... meh.

if you want real excitement, go on the COG f/B page..you  won't last long, for certain.. heheheheheheh

peace...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 03:40:08 PM »
The red pill is available in the Arena but there hasn't been much traffic there lately.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 03:42:49 PM »
You are right about booting non-paying members. This is also a losing proposition where some will not become a paying member because of the site's sensitivity and restrictions.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 03:44:21 PM »
I always wondered... why the lack of traffic here?

The red pill is available in the Arena but there hasn't been much traffic there lately.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 03:47:58 PM »
Is this forum, its mods and members sensitive like little girls? It seems that the other forum has a lot of sensitive members and mods, and so threads get warned and locked down frequently. It is annoying.

Well, you have been registered here for 6 years and have hundreds of posts...  So you tell us :)  It is pretty rare anything is locked down in the normal forums on zggtr.org.  Some times the "Open Forum" can get a little conflicted, but that is the nature of the beast.  But, for example, the "The Bike - C14/GTR 1400" forum, which is probably the "main" forum for zggtr.org, I just went through a dozen pages containing hundreds of topics  with thousands of posts.  I think only two were locked.

I can't speak to the COG forums, since I have never followed those (I found zggtr.org first and just stayed).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 03:54:04 PM »
I always wondered... why the lack of traffic here?

Here in "Open Forum" or here on zggtr.org?

For the latter, it has been slacking off more and more each year.  But I think this is to be expected because of the changing and shrinking markets for the Concours.  Unfortunately, true sport-touring is fading away.  The C10 is ancient history and the C14 is now discontinued across the EU and many other areas, and the days are numbered in the Americas.  Also, a lot of topics have already been covered in great detail- some people can search it like a huge library and never have to post a thing.  I can say, zggtr.org has been EXTREMELY beneficial to this C14 owner- just tons and tons of useful information.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 04:33:59 PM »
On the COG forum politics and like topics are (supposedly) forbidden.  There's a few who seem to get a free pass while dancing all over the imaginary line you're not supposed to cross.  A look at the 'Where do you get your news' thread is a good example.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 06:22:57 PM »
On the COG forum politics and like topics are (supposedly) forbidden.  There's a few who seem to get a free pass while dancing all over the imaginary line you're not supposed to cross.  A look at the 'Where do you get your news' thread is a good example.
:goodpost:

I've got no problem with the rules on a private site or business as long as they are applied evenly across the board. When they are not I've got no need to be abused by the privileged. Nor do I need to wait to be invited to leave.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2020, 08:32:38 PM »
Too bad that there is such light traffic on this site. It's a good site with lots of useful info. I surf it often. I would chat more if there was more posts. But I get it, the C10, C14 are a dying breed.

And as for the other forum, I don't blame the posters nor the site really. There is a lot of chatter and lots of mods who are not always aligned in their enforcement. I think they do a good job in general but there are a little too many unnecessary butt aches from some members and therefore excessive enforcement doled out. Again, it is a private forum so they do need to cater to their paid members first. I understand that. But if they want new paid members they should ease up some.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2020, 02:08:51 AM »
It's no different to the days of the old COG listserver where sometimes people would get their underwear in a knot and go off on one. It was less intense then as there was the inevitable delay due to the nature of email listservers but it happened. I remember unsubscribing for 2 weeks when a few individuals decided the listserver was a good place to discuss gun control and there were endless occasions when people were invited to take-it-offline!

What gets my goat is when it changes from a difference of opinion (we all have them and they will all be different!) to a slagging match. That is when a thread needs to be locked or deleted, but it should also be accompanied by disciplinary actions aimed at the individuals who caused it to be locked/deleted.

The problem on the COG FB page is that discipline never happened and certain people were allowed to continue to insult other group members with impunity. That was why, for the first time since I joined the Listserver back in 1994, I permanently left a Concours/GTR forum/group, the COG FB Group. I'm hoping that the COG forum doesn't head in the same direction, but if it does, I'm out of there too.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2020, 04:32:35 AM »
Open is open to discuss anything 'civilly'.  The watch word is 'civilly'.  It is now the word of the day.  You get points for using it.  I tend to discourage topics on politics, religion, and weaponry due to their very nature of becoming hot buttons and then I have to lock the topic or in worst case obliterate it (doesn't happen often).  We have an Arena where you can discuss things in a more pointed fashion.  We also have the Range where weapons can be discussed freely.

As far as traffic goes, the bikes and the owners are getting on in years and many have transitioned to different conveyances.  The C10s and C14s are mature products.  Just not a whole lot going on with them unfortunately.  Heck, I sold my C14 a few years ago to a friend so I still see it on a semi-regular basis.

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline sport rider

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2020, 08:43:59 AM »
COG politics and favoritism turned me off to the club completely.  I discontinued membership and don't go to the COG forum any longer.  Just don't need that kind of crap in my life any more.  Sad, cause there's a lot of really good people there.  just a few that spoiled it....but they are the golden children.  I started up the ROSE fb page to keep friendships on the southeast.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2020, 09:40:29 AM »
I have never had FB so I keep away from that altogether. The forums on FB are always terrible.

VAJim, if you have the "Range" for weapons discussions why not have a politics or religion sub-topic too? Just curious since you discourage all three why have one but not the others? Consider opening them. I am lovely,  I'll moderate them for you.

Open is open to discuss anything 'civilly'.  The watch word is 'civilly'.  It is now the word of the day.  You get points for using it.  I tend to discourage topics on politics, religion, and weaponry due to their very nature of becoming hot buttons and then I have to lock the topic or in worst case obliterate it (doesn't happen often).  We have an Arena where you can discuss things in a more pointed fashion.  We also have the Range where weapons can be discussed freely.

As far as traffic goes, the bikes and the owners are getting on in years and many have transitioned to different conveyances.  The C10s and C14s are mature products.  Just not a whole lot going on with them unfortunately.  Heck, I sold my C14 a few years ago to a friend so I still see it on a semi-regular basis.

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2020, 10:23:39 AM »
I have never had FB so I keep away from that altogether. The forums on FB are always terrible.

VAJim, if you have the "Range" for weapons discussions why not have a politics or religion sub-topic too? Just curious since you discourage all three why have one but not the others? Consider opening them. I am lovely,  I'll moderate them for you.
Politics or religion are usually assigned the the Arena section.  It's mostly a free-for-all in there.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2020, 11:04:49 AM »
I have a question for you all...

I like COG a lot and I'm still a dues paying member, however I hardly ever post over there anymore.
It's a volunteer organization, but the people that step up and to volunteer to run things are (IMO) too, too and way too concerned with the COG "image".
Instead of letting the asshats be known to all, they prefer to ride herd and keep a tight grip on the forum. Unfortunately it's very
difficult to not let biases show through with that much control, even if unintended...which it may or may not be. The club slogan
may be the problem. "Join for the bike, stay for the people." However like any big group of people, some are just anal openings
and if you try to hide that fact with strict control then stuff happens.
Down the road COG will have the same problem that the MSTA did. When the C14 totally disappears there will be no bike to rally around. The MSTA
originated around a Honda model (I forget what it was), then that disappeared they became the Honda Sport Touring Assoc. now they are the Motorcycle Sport Touring Assoc.
The MSTA doesn't have much of a forum problem as it just doesn't get any traffic. It makes this place seem very high volume. They do make up for it though
with good turn out at events.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2020, 11:46:46 AM »
My bike is faster than a Connie, so I'm too stuck up to hang out and post here anymore.
So there! ;D
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline sport rider

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2020, 01:54:56 PM »
My bike is faster than a Connie, so I'm too stuck up to hang out and post here anymore.
So there! ;D

Harley?    :stirpot: