Author Topic: Intermittent Leaky Petcock?  (Read 14002 times)

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
Re: Intermittent Leaky Petcock?
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2011, 03:13:49 PM »
"Nice try Nosmo.... but you looked right past the obvious...."

Son of a B#tch!!!!.  You're right, MOB.  I posted without my morning coffee.  I thought about this just now while riding the Zook to the liquor..... uuhhh, grocery store and came back on-line to mention it, but you beat me to it.  That's why you guys are the experts and I'm just a dood with a bike.

Here's how it should look:

A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Nosmo

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2011, 03:22:35 PM »
Holy Cow!!!, Now I am thoroughly confused and miffed.  I DID NOT dismantle the diaphragm that was new.  (Nor the old one..the diaphragm that I took out was not sandwiched between the plastic frame).  The K&L kit does not come with that plastic frame so I am assuming I have to dismantle the new diaphragm to put it on the existing frame?  Can this even be done?  It looks to be a pressed item.

No, there is no way to dismantle the diaphragm itself, all pressed together.  The diaphragm has two rubber panels to it.  Gently pull them apart and Just flex the rubber panel of the diaphragm on the spindle side and fold it around the spindle and push it through the hole in the plastic spacer, careful not to tear it.   The side of the diaphragm with the aluminum disc has to go on the side of the plastic spacer with the circular counterbore.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2011, 03:33:28 PM »
Holy Cow!!!, Now I am thoroughly confused and miffed.  I DID NOT dismantle the diaphragm that was new.  (Nor the old one..the diaphragm that I took out was not sandwiched between the plastic frame).  The K&L kit does not come with that plastic frame so I am assuming I have to dismantle the new diaphragm to put it on the existing frame?  Can this even be done?  It looks to be a pressed item.

come on man....you are kidding me are'nt you???

you don't disassemble anything, just stick the plastic frame between the 2 rubber sheets, with one sheet on either side like the picture....the rubber is flexible you realize?

make sure the poppet is on the side with the vent/weep groove in the plastic frame.

this ain't a lunar mission. or is it?

glad you got 'groceries" Nosmo....Zombie time approaching fast....2 hours and counting.....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline wyowanderer

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2011, 03:37:11 PM »
No, there is no way to dismantle the diaphragm itself, all pressed together.  The diaphragm has two rubber panels to it.  Gently pull them apart and Just flex the rubber panel of the diaphragm on the spindle side and fold it around the spindle and push it through the hole in the plastic spacer, careful not to tear it.   The side of the diaphragm with the aluminum disc has to go on the side of the plastic spacer with the circular counterbore.

Nosmo.  Thanks!!!!!!!! Between this last post and MOB's posts I finally know what needs to be done with that diaphragm.  I knew it would be one of those moments where I felt absolutely stupid and I was right (and it appears MOB thinks I am a complete idiot...really I am not.  Just having a "moment" you could say).  So now that I have the diaphragm installed correctly on the plastic plate I can see if it will work now.  I told you I wasn't mechanically inclined!!!!!!!!!!  Thanks for bearing with me on this one.   ;D

2002 Concours
COG #9461

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2011, 04:06:19 PM »
no I don't think you are an idiot, just a bit confused....not a problem, that's why I went out to the barn, shot pictures, and posted them for you....
understandingly as the end of the world is just an hour and a half away....I hope you get 'er done in time to ride....
 ;)

Offline Nosmo

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2011, 04:42:06 PM »
no I don't think you are an idiot, just a bit confused....not a problem, that's why I went out to the barn, shot pictures, and posted them for you....
understandingly as the end of the world is just an hour and a half away....I hope you get 'er done in time to ride....
 ;)

Well, then I won't bother changing my oil................... :P

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2011, 05:13:33 PM »
 :chugbeer: :popcorn: :stirpot: :yikes: :popcorn: :rotflmao:

awaiting the rapture...drinking a Wilco-Tango-Foxtrot.....
I have a feeling it will be a nice Zombie free day tomorrow.

Offline throb

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2011, 05:39:28 PM »
Just the same, I have several zombie intervention tools waiting.  Bats; firearms of differing uses; toilet plungers, dirty underwear to throw, etc.....

Oh but wait, this was about a leaking petcock wasn't it?  Why not just replace the thing with an OEM and send the carb bowls to SISF for overflow tubes?  Anything you are trying to accomplish will be done by this.
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline wyowanderer

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2011, 05:49:28 PM »

Why not just replace the thing with an OEM and send the carb bowls to SISF for overflow tubes?  Anything you are trying to accomplish will be done by this.
[/quote]

Just ordered a new petcock from Murph.   After all, I got her put back together and she still leaks.  I am tired of messing with the darn thing.  Wasted too much time as it is.  My riding season here is too short as it is.  And overflow tubes are on my list this winter.  Here that SISF. 
2002 Concours
COG #9461

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2011, 06:55:06 PM »

Why not just replace the thing with an OEM and send the carb bowls to SISF for overflow tubes?  Anything you are trying to accomplish will be done by this.

Just ordered a new petcock from Murph.   After all, I got her put back together and she still leaks.  I am tired of messing with the darn thing.  Wasted too much time as it is.  My riding season here is too short as it is.  And overflow tubes are on my list this winter.  Here that SISF.

whatever.
http://www.ronayers.com/Search/N/687
Ronayers Kaw parts...add shipping, but...
 DIAPHRAGM ASSY,TAP
Mfg. Part Number: 43028-1015
SKU: 594480
 MSRP: $12.74
Your Price: $8.79 

pretty big "why" answer in my book.

I firmly support Murph, and his products, but as I say, I prefer the OEM repair kit.
I't drop in and go.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2011, 07:07:32 PM »
4 more wasted hours of my life.
 :banghead: :deadhorse: :thumbs:

Offline Bmcush

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »
43028-1015

Your local dealer may have the part in stock, thats how I came across one with out having to wait 4 days....