Author Topic: What makes me crazy and annoyed..  (Read 456495 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: What makes me crazy and annoyed..
« Reply #1820 on: November 03, 2018, 02:33:54 PM »
I just came back from a small funeral.  Not once but THREE TIMES it was interrupted by people's stupid ass phones that they couldn't bother to turn off or mute.  This didn't even count the one person that somehow had it start playing music and couldn't figure out how to silence it for over 60 seconds.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #1821 on: November 04, 2018, 08:58:06 AM »
Ah yes, the 'crotch watchers' at public events. I call them that because no matter what they are doing, whenever they are able, they stare down into their crotches..... where the 'glowing orb of live' (cell phone or tablet) is. I find myself the only one with my head up and eyes forward while watching a movie; everyone else around me is staring down at the 'glowing orb of life'.

Another thing that rubs my fur the wrong way is that the 'orb' in omnipresent and trumps all other facets of life: when it jingles / jangles, buzzes, lights up or in any way attracts its 'pets' ' attention, it must be attended to immediately no matter what else may be happening

Brian

I am with you on that sentiment Brian. There are times and places for everything. I try to silence my phone and ignore it in situations when appropriate and find a private place to answer when I need to. On the bike I can do everything in my helmet WHY OH WHY do drivers in a car need it in their hands?

That said, the last couple of years my patience is tested. Imagine sitting in a room with a patient... listening intently, asking them questions and searching for clues into their condition.....phone rings, patient answers and starts talking to their family. Older folks will answer and inform the caller they are with their doctor and hang up and apologize. Younger folks go on talking about picking the kids up, getting milk on the way home, calling about the cable bill. etc,......  I usually turn politiely to the computer and input some info and get charting done while  they talk and have adopted the following response. "Wow, I remember when my Pops would call before he died with news or something to talk about..........and when I got it off the answering machine when I got home I would call him back and discuss the day's events with him"     Some get it some don't .  I really wrestle with how to deal with those abusers who want to run on time getting in and out of the office yet slow the entire schedule down by interrupting a visit by answering the phone. I strive to run on time and give each person all the time they need but in multi year studies we find our daily recaps are inevitably coming back to people who show up late or take phone calls during a visit that pushes the rest of the appointments following their visit down the line.
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1822 on: November 04, 2018, 10:19:42 AM »
Another thing that rubs my fur the wrong way is that the 'orb' in omnipresent and trumps all other facets of life: when it jingles / jangles, buzzes, lights up or in any way attracts its 'pets' ' attention, it must be attended to immediately no matter what else may be happening. If I am conversing with someone and that happens, I am about done trying to converse with that person, more or less forever. Not out of anger or even exasperation but due to the fact that I know at any second, the 'glowing orb' may need servicing and that is what is truly important so I consider any other in- person, human interaction as merely a time- killing measure, waiting for that jingle. Not to mention how extremely rude it is IMO- they do not even make a pretense of trying to excuse themselves, they just turn away from the person or people present and watch / read / type.

Couldn't agree more! But sorry, I'm partly to blame because I help create the damn things.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1823 on: November 04, 2018, 03:31:45 PM »
I strive to run on time and give each person all the time they need but in multi year studies we find our daily recaps are inevitably coming back to people who show up late or take phone calls during a visit that pushes the rest of the appointments following their visit down the line.

I can't imagine doing something like that to my doctor, dentist, nurse, whoever.  You don't want to know what I would do....  I wouldn't allow them to hold up the schedule.  If the next patient were ready in another room, I would just leave and go to the next patient after handing them a pre-printed note explaining I would return after the next patient was done.  If it were not a multi-room situation, I might find some other creative way to send a strong message while also helping to accelerate the line; perhaps going to the waiting room to chat with the next person in some non-confidential way.

It works both ways, though.  I have had to remind a few practitioners that my time is every bit as valuable as theirs.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #1824 on: November 04, 2018, 05:06:17 PM »

It works both ways, though.  I have had to remind a few practitioners that my time is every bit as valuable as theirs.

That's why we keep close track of what slows us down. We use the concept of cycle time. How long from the time your hand touches the door on the way in till it touches it on the way out. I hate waiting and I hate being late. As a single dad since 1992 I realized to get out to get my kids on time I had to run on time. We track it and analyze it daily. Everyone gets the time they need but I need to get done on time so the analysis is essential.  My last one left for College this fall. THe staff wondered if I would slow down but it has been working a certain way for a long time....now I just need to get out to get more bike time
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #1825 on: November 08, 2018, 01:30:28 PM »
The problem is not and never was with the phone(s), it is with the humans who (IMO) miss- use them and disturb other, sometimes many other, surrounding events and situations. Further, I am not opposed to cell phones, I had one way back in the late 80's and have had at least one ever since. I often have carried two, one my own personal phone and one for work; it makes it easier for me to manage both of them (for example, when in a meeting at work, my personal phone is silent while my work phone vibrates so I can, discreetly and NOT RUDELY check who is calling- I am on company time after all).

Like that recent joke about guns: if guns kill people, why do we have to even bother to send soldiers into a theater of war? Would not just sending firearms do? Same thing with cell phones: no cell phone, anywhere on the planet has yet to misbehave or cause any trouble.... the owners / carriers on the other hand are a different story far too often.

By the way, given my recent experiences in the medical community (far too many of them but hey, not their fault) I was very pleasantly surprised to find wait times to be a matter of a few minutes at worst in almost all circumstances. Outstanding time management on the part of the medicos and staff IMO. My Vet., on the other hand, could use a few of my physicians' lessons. :-(

Brian

I am with you on that sentiment Brian. There are times and places for everything. I try to silence my phone and ignore it in situations when appropriate and find a private place to answer when I need to. On the bike I can do everything in my helmet WHY OH WHY do drivers in a car need it in their hands?

That said, the last couple of years my patience is tested. Imagine sitting in a room with a patient... listening intently, asking them questions and searching for clues into their condition.....phone rings, patient answers and starts talking to their family. Older folks will answer and inform the caller they are with their doctor and hang up and apologize. Younger folks go on talking about picking the kids up, getting milk on the way home, calling about the cable bill. etc,......  I usually turn politiely to the computer and input some info and get charting done while  they talk and have adopted the following response. "Wow, I remember when my Pops would call before he died with news or something to talk about..........and when I got it off the answering machine when I got home I would call him back and discuss the day's events with him"     Some get it some don't .  I really wrestle with how to deal with those abusers who want to run on time getting in and out of the office yet slow the entire schedule down by interrupting a visit by answering the phone. I strive to run on time and give each person all the time they need but in multi year studies we find our daily recaps are inevitably coming back to people who show up late or take phone calls during a visit that pushes the rest of the appointments following their visit down the line.

Couldn't agree more! But sorry, I'm partly to blame because I help create the damn things.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1826 on: November 08, 2018, 04:40:06 PM »
"The problem is not and never was with the phone(s)"

au contraire mon frère....

https://youtu.be/2WXhBoeAYi4

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1827 on: November 09, 2018, 07:03:03 AM »
Shopping on Amazon...

If you've done it then you've seen the question and answer section where folks ask a question about the product being sold and folks who have purchased the product answer the questions.

This is all well and good, very good normally.

What makes me crazy and annoyed about this?

Folks who insist on answering the questions with "I don't know".    :o

Why in the hell would you answer the questions with "I don't know"?  :banghead:

Morons!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1828 on: November 09, 2018, 07:37:14 AM »
Shopping on Amazon...

If you've done it then you've seen the question and answer section where folks ask a question about the product being sold and folks who have purchased the product answer the questions.

This is all well and good, very good normally.

What makes me crazy and annoyed about this?

Folks who insist on answering the questions with "I don't know".    :o

Morons!

+1 Conrad! This happens to me all the time in meetings. Someone will ask a question and someone who knows the answer will start to speak but some idiot who just likes to hear themselves talk will interrupt and go into a 5 minute dissertation not answering the question but answering 5 other questions that were never asked and no one cares about.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1829 on: November 09, 2018, 08:16:26 AM »
Shopping on Amazon...[...]Why in the hell would you answer the questions with "I don't know"?

LOL!  I noticed that too and found it annoying.

I love shopping on Amazon, but there are some annoyances on it, too.  Reviews are the most important thing to me.  Perhaps my biggest annoyance with them lumping all the reviews together for the 6 "versions" of the product; often of which have nothing to do with each other.  Sometimes you can later filter them, but not always.  Recently they also removed the "not helpful" button on reviews, which I think it is huge mistake.  It was a perfect button to press for reviews of the distributor and not the product, or for people who didn't know what they were buying and rated the product down, or for the one-sentence reviews that said something utterly useless like "love it" or "crap".

And since we are picking on Amazon, there is also no way to later tell them "remove from list" for those things you need to review/rate because you ended up giving it as a present or because it is a duplicate re-listing of something you already reviewed.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1830 on: November 09, 2018, 09:08:47 AM »
There should be a programming filter to not let those comments see the light of day.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #1831 on: November 09, 2018, 12:26:48 PM »

Boy, I just don't know.

(come on, somebody had to do it)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1832 on: November 09, 2018, 01:25:16 PM »
 :thumbs:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline bigdt73

« Reply #1833 on: November 09, 2018, 07:25:51 PM »
Regarding the obsession with the "glowing orbs"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vudaAYx2IcE

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1834 on: November 10, 2018, 06:38:36 AM »
Boy, I just don't know.

:battle:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1835 on: November 12, 2018, 07:21:53 AM »
Boy, I just don't know.

:rotflmao: That's just funny right there!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1836 on: November 12, 2018, 05:25:59 PM »
Saran wrap and all of it's imitators.  I hate the stuff.  Makes me crazy and annoyed trying to use it.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1837 on: November 12, 2018, 06:24:15 PM »
You need to use the good stuff...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1838 on: November 12, 2018, 06:51:06 PM »
Right, then it will super **** me off. LOL

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1839 on: November 13, 2018, 05:40:24 AM »
Saran wrap and all of it's imitators.  I hate the stuff.  Makes me crazy and annoyed trying to use it.

I much prefer Glad plastic wrap.  It seems to work much better than Saran.