Author Topic: Marriage- what's the point?  (Read 14437 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Marriage- what's the point?
« on: July 21, 2015, 06:40:11 PM »
Posted as a reply here to not further contaminate another thread

Way off topic, but not even sure there is really any point to "marriage" anymore.

You must be one of dem dare heterosexual haters ( I mean you are a heterosexual who hates.... not a person who hates heterosexuals)....

Sorry, I just could not resist.  :rotflmao:

Brian

No, I don't hate (disclaimer- nor have I ever been married).  Just an observation.  Based on....

I just see almost every marriage fail.  And with each generation it seems to get more prevalent.  Then it seems a majority of people think that having children outside of marriage is just fine because they are "not ready for marriage" or "marriage is too much commitment"????  (Yet children are not?).  I see couples that live together for 20+ years but never marry.  I see more and more people who marry that never have children, keep separate bank accounts, register everything in separate names, file taxes separately, etc.   Prenuptial agreements to make sure the finances are simpler when the more-certain-than-not divorce comes.  More women who don't want to take their husband's last names.   Others use ridiculously complex compound names (certainly nothing new, but seemingly more popular).  I even see CHILDREN with compound last names (yeah, that makes sense- then when the children get married, their children can have FOUR last names?).  Now marriage is redefined as not just man-woman, but also man-man or woman-woman.  Maybe threesomes are next?  Theoretically, you can gain all (or almost all) the same legal protections and functions of marriage without marriage through medical and financial powers of attorney, joint ownerships, wills, and other forms.  Divorces are easier and easier, faster and simpler.  Theoretically/fairly, married people shouldn't have any more rights or privileges compared people who don't- so that is another factor.  Then there are the people that get married when they shouldn't or get and then stay married for the wrong reasons when things are long gone.

Like I said, I don't even see the point anymore.  Call me jaded!  And yes, of course, my parents were divorced (at my age 6).  And my mother married and divorced twice more after that.

Maybe marriage is obsolete?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
Re: Marriage- what's the point?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 08:00:06 PM »
Posted as a reply here to not further contaminate another thread

Maybe marriage is obsolete?

Not to me.

I was married for 10 years the first time and after 9 of those years my wife didn't want to be married anymore.

Went 8 years single and got engaged and then married again and it's been 10+ years with 2 great stepdaughters and my wonderful 8 year old little girl.

My 28 year old daughter has been married for 2 1/2 years with a 6 year old son and 2 year old daughter.

Marriage is not obsolete to her either.  YMMV
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 09:56:50 PM »
Tried marriage once. Nothing against it, but man wow I love single life!  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 03:43:11 AM »
A wise man once said 'Son, the best you can do in life is to have a lot of money, a good dog and live next to a whorehouse.'
YMMV

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 03:46:07 AM »
30 years for me.  Parents are closing in on 60 years.

I agree though that marriage is no longer the vows that most cited at the ceremony. 

It would be interesting to know when and why the tax breaks for marriage started.

My wife and I are partners and a team.  We have each others backs.  But we don't have to spend every moment together, nor do we rely on each other as our sole source of happiness. 'Whoa, easy there boy's ;)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 03:05:13 PM by twowheeladdict »
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline MichiGlenn

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 04:03:41 AM »
Closing in on 28 years of marriage, and I wouldn't have it any other way.  We've struggled through the lows together, celebrated the highs together, prayed together and cried together.  Having that kind of a friend/partner/lover/encourager is truly a blessing. 
Our society has devalued the committed love in favor of cheap flings, and is poorer for it.
2001 Concours
1977 Honda CB750K (sold)
1978 Honda CB750k (long gone)
1972 Honda CL175 (a fond memory)

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 04:38:02 AM »
Closing in on 28 years of marriage, and I wouldn't have it any other way.  We've struggled through the lows together, celebrated the highs together, prayed together and cried together.  Having that kind of a friend/partner/lover/encourager is truly a blessing. 
Our society has devalued the committed love in favor of cheap flings, and is poorer for it.
+1
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 04:39:00 AM »
38 years for me..wouldn't have it any other way.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 04:48:34 AM »
I met my wife in 1975 and married her in 1977 and we're still together and happy.

As Twowheeladdict said, we're partners and a team, a company if you will.  :)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 06:52:44 AM »
25 years for me. There have been tough times, especially in the beginning as my wife had been abused in her previous relationship. And it was fast for us so we didn't really get a chance to get to know each other well. As time went on it got much better. We too have been thru the highs and lows together and we are both the better for it. We raised three daughters (none were mine biologically) and out special needs son. Do we still have issues from time to time, sure, what couple doesn't, but at least it does devolve into some kind of vitriolic argument. More often than not we just walk away and let it blow over which is fine with me. I hate fighting with her.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 10:05:45 AM »
39 years for me this September. Ups and downs like everything else. But among other benefits I have 3 great kids (including one that is my best riding partner with an FJR) and 5 fantastic grand kids. I hear what your saying Max but it does work out for some of us.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 11:07:32 AM »
It would be interesting to know when and why the tax breaks for marriage started.

It's been a while since we married, but our taxes went up right after we got hitched. I think there are some financial advantages for sure, housing, health insurance, utilities (depending on who is winning the household thermostat war that goes on continuously in mine) but taxes? I'm not sure we've saved anything there by getting married. Except for health insurance I don't think we saved anymore than if we just lived together, probably a lot less.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 11:48:21 AM »
Sideways ONTOPIC:

I have a cousin who liked to live in a heated house that he could afford. His wife liked to live in a heated house and did not concern herself with financial matters. Hijinks ensued for several rounds with no clear winner.

Then he put in a second thermostat on the same wall, a few feet away. He wired the second thermostat and disconnected the original thermostat. He set the second thermostat for a combination of comfort / economy while his wife continued to set the first thermostat for a combination of comfort / insanity. She never noticed the other thermostat nor did she notice that the house was not at the temperature she had set but was happy just seeing the little red pointer close to 80F apparently.

This is where I would say they both lived happily ever after but alas, that did not happen. However, they never did have another conflict or issue of any kind with the heating / cooling of the house. The End.

Brian

It's been a while since we married, but our taxes went up right after we got hitched. I think there are some financial advantages for sure, housing, health insurance, utilities (depending on who is winning the household thermostat war that goes on continuously in mine) but taxes? I'm not sure we've saved anything there by getting married. Except for health insurance I don't think we saved anymore than if we just lived together, probably a lot less.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 01:12:39 PM »
Sideways ONTOPIC:

I have a cousin who liked to live in a heated house that he could afford. His wife liked to live in a heated house and did not concern herself with financial matters. Hijinks ensued for several rounds with no clear winner.

Then he put in a second thermostat on the same wall, a few feet away. He wired the second thermostat and disconnected the original thermostat. He set the second thermostat for a combination of comfort / economy while his wife continued to set the first thermostat for a combination of comfort / insanity. She never noticed the other thermostat nor did she notice that the house was not at the temperature she had set but was happy just seeing the little red pointer close to 80F apparently.

This is where I would say they both lived happily ever after but alas, that did not happen. However, they never did have another conflict or issue of any kind with the heating / cooling of the house. The End.

Brian

Thought about doing exactly that although my plan was to have the second, real thermostat less obvious. My wife uses a thermostat as a switch. if she is cold, she sets it to 85 until she is hot then she sets it to 55 until she is cold. Rinse, repeat, I get the bill.

Offline BackInTheSaddle

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 02:36:03 PM »
I am a big fan and have had 27 years of marital bliss - been married for 43  ;)
Don, Apple Valley, MN
2008 C-14 ABS, AeroFlow Tall, Murph's risers with wedges, Buell pegs, Zumo 590, lowered pegs, Russell Day-Long
Previous bikes 2001 Kawi C10 (RIP), and 1981 Honda CB650
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/DonaldHollinger/MOTO/Map_zpse09bb1e5

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 02:55:45 PM »
Well, it is certainly nice to see all the positive stories :)   Makes one think not all is so bad.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 03:26:37 PM »
My wife uses a thermostat as a switch. if she is cold, she sets it to 85 until she is hot then she sets it to 55 until she is cold. Rinse, repeat, I get the bill.

So, I'm not alone! Here I thought it was just my wife that didn't understand how thermostats are supposed to work.
I guess I lucked out as at least my wife pays half the bill. Probably why we are still married. Had everything financially combined until the end of our third year of marriage, separated our money and split the bills. Marital bliss?..no...but we are still married and that wasn't going to happen the way we were going back then.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 12:30:42 AM »
So, I'm not alone! Here I thought it was just my wife that didn't understand how thermostats are supposed to work.

You are far from alone.   It also isn't just a female thing.  I am amazed at how many people don't understand how thermostats work and are supposed to be used.  For example, I would estimate that perhaps as high as 80% of people think that setting it colder than the temp they want will make it colder faster.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 04:57:03 AM »
That's funny stuff about the thermostats! My wife doesn't understand the principal behind them either. I've tried and tired to explain it to her but her eyes just glaze over and I'm talking to myself.

No honey, it doesn't heat the house faster if you turn it up to 85.    ::)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2015, 05:37:53 AM »

No honey, it doesn't heat the house faster if you turn it up to 85.    ::)

It does if you have a heat pump and you activate the second switch that turns the electric heat strips on.   :o  LOL! 

My wife is the one who pays the utilities.  That cured her of wanting to run around in shorts in the winter, and sweaters in the summer. 
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077