Author Topic: Oil collecting in intake manifold (putting flies back in)  (Read 4249 times)

Offline jimbob_sf

Oil collecting in intake manifold (putting flies back in)
« on: September 03, 2018, 01:54:38 PM »
I was removing my PCV + Autotune and putting the flies back in when I found a 'lake' of oil pooling inside the intake manifold (or whatever the C14 term is). I haven't been in there since 2009 / 8k miles.  (2008 with 48k miles)

Any shots from the hip on this one?  There's a tiny bit of oil weeping from the head gasket since the valves were adjusted 5k miles ago, but that feels normal if the new gasket didn't seat perfectly.  This little lake doesn't look normal.

I stared in there and I don't see any obvious trail of oil coming from one of the 4 stacks.  There is some kind of air pipe sticking up on the right side and that doesn't tell a story either.

Gulp.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: Oil collecting in intake manifold (putting flies back in)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 03:33:04 PM »
Assuming there hasn't been an after market foam oil impregnated air filter being used, I'm drawing a blank. However, my mind can almost always find some made up crap to stuff in a blank spot...so here goes.....There is an airfilter drain hose in the drawings and maybe if it was plugged or the little plastic bottle at the end of it was full, then the occasional oil fuel blowback because of startup cam chain tensioner slack (clearly I'm pulling this from where the sun/moon don't shine) leaves an intake valve ajar when a piston is starting on the upstroke?...and the oil can't drain out 'cause the hose is plugged or full. However, I'm not sure on which side of the air filter the hose drains from. I thought the rear, but I don't know.
Yeah best you wait until someone that knows what their talking about responds ;D

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 05:50:34 PM »
help us out here...
are you talking about the black linear area, in the photo, behind the velocity stacks?

I'm not seeing a 'pool'.
valve cover gasket ( as opposed to HEAD Gasket another misnomer,) doesn't equate either...
as they are external, and not related to the issue..(the weepage on the front is likely a bad o ring on the exhaust cam sensor up front.. very common.) again, not related.

maybe some blockage in the airbox drain line...? ( I assume this is what you are calling 'manifold', vs airbox...) which is what the photo shows...

I have seen occasional plugging of the crankcase vent, that runs from under the airbox, to the crank case venting cover below it on the engine, but the only time oil ends up in the box via that hose, is on a turbocharged conversion, where the crankcase is pressurized... which ain't the case here..

wipe it all down, and replace the flies, as you were doing. check the drain line from the airbox, and the plastic collector bottle at the bottom, down on the left, by the idle adjuster screw, and tank drain..
and If in fact you were running a K&N filter, that was over oiled, stop using so much oil on it... go back to a factory airfilter for the next 20k miles, and re check.

not much to say, just from one poor photo, and a description like this...

has nothing to do with the cam chain tensioner either.... check the drain line and empty it, and blow air down thru it from the top, and re cap the bottom..( it can't really suck air back up, if it's capped.).

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 10:07:27 PM »
...has nothing to do with the cam chain tensioner either....
Well, I was honest about where I was pulling it from.  ;D

Offline Freddy

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 12:44:00 AM »
Is it fitted with a K&N oiled type air filter as MOB suggests/suspects?

Does the engine use oil between changes?  If so, how much?
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline jwh20

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 07:47:47 AM »
Perhaps I'm missing your point as well since I too don't see any oil in the photo but...

It's normal for oil to enter the area between the air filter and the throttle bodies via the crankcase ventilation system.  (I think Kawasaki calls it the PAIR system but I'm not sure of that.)  But there are reed valves on the top of the valve cover and these are connected through a valve to a tube that comes up through a hole in the bottom of the frame and into the airbox area.  The valve is supposed to open under the right circumstances and allow oil-laden crankcase blow-by gasses to be sucked up by engine vacuum into the engine to be burned.  Sometimes too much oil gets in there and it pools.  There is a drain that is supposed to let it drain out of the bottom of the bike just in front of the shift lever.  There should be a small plastic bulb there and you should check that occasionally, drain and make sure there is no blockage.  There should be a one-way valve at the bottom to prevent air from getting sucked back up into the airbox.

Now there could be other problems with the system.  The valve that controls this might be unplugged or defective.  It sits on top of the valve cover and is removed when you do a valve service.  Perhaps it was not replaced properly.  You could also have too much oil or oil foaming going on that is overwhelming the PAIR system.  Finally you might have a problem with too much blow-by in your engine due to bad rings or other damage and that is allowing way too much air to flow into the airbox.

But gloom-and-doom aside, I'm guessing that it's normal and at worst, your drain tube is pinched or blocked and needs to be corrected.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 10:24:01 AM »
Well my answer may have come from where the sun don't......but at least I can see oil.  :)
Maybe if he had said trench full of oil instead of little lake of oil?
....anyway, so far jwh20 (IMO) has the best answer.

Good luck jimbob', don't leave us hangin' here, let us know what you find.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 03:33:24 PM »
Well my answer may have come from where the sun don't......but at least I can see oil.  :)
Maybe if he had said trench full of oil instead of little lake of oil?

Good highlighting job.  I didn't even notice that in the photo until you pointed it out (at least at the bottom).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 05:04:01 PM »
Good highlighting job.  I didn't even notice that in the photo until you pointed it out (at least at the bottom).

tough crowd... I believe I eluded to 'that black line behind the venturies' as what he was trying to identify... but again, doesn't really matter, when everyone has opinions on 'where it came from'.

last thing I would have given is the PAIR valves myself...
the PAIR valve/reeds were not designed to burn oil vapor sucked from the crankcase. the system is designed as an "clean air Injection", via the reeds, from the airbox, as an aid in complete combustion downstream of the exhaust valves.

One of the common things people were doing, when retrofitting exhausts, and removing the flies, back when they felt it was 'giving them some benefit" was to actually block off that fresh air intake hose from the airbox, using a marble, or rubber plug, to alleviate the "popping" on de-cell they began having, from the garage mods. It would be interesting to see if this bike had that done.. as it had flies out...(evil grin)
 I belive I mentioned what is shown below, in the picture, coupled with a lack of draining due to a hose or collector blockage... but... if there is major vapors collecting in the box, my best bet is the rubber hose that ties directly to the airbox. from the crank case...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 05:49:36 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 05:15:10 PM »
tough crowd... I believe I eluded to 'that black line behind the venturies' as what he was trying to identify...

Meh, I will take bold red arrows over reading and thinking, any day :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 07:47:45 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 06:19:25 PM »
.... bold green arrows ...

You a funny guy max'.

tough crowd... I believe I eluded to 'that black line behind the venturies' as what he was trying to identify...
Yes we are, and yes you did.  :thumbs:

Now for another question(s). Since jimbob' registered in '11 and only has 4 posts....
....will any of us still be alive when he comes back to tell us what he found?

and...is Jimb' getting his bike ready for selling ?...or ready for a reflash?
Expiring mind(s) want to know.  ???

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 07:47:21 PM »
You a funny guy max'.

Ooops, I meant red, of course.  Must be my colorblind day.... I will correct

Offline jimbob_sf

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 03:21:15 AM »
One of the common things people were doing, when retrofitting exhausts, and removing the flies, back when they felt it was 'giving them some benefit" was to actually block off that fresh air intake hose from the airbox, using a marble, or rubber plug, to alleviate the "popping" on de-cell they began having, from the garage mods. It would be interesting to see if this bike had that done.. as it had flies out...(evil grin)

Bingo: Back in 2008, we put marbles in the hose to reduce the decel popping on the Area P full exhaust. We also walked uphill, both ways, in the snow, to school...

I'll re-read and fill in the other questions. I'll fire the guy who took the pictures..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2018, 04:44:02 AM »
LOL..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jimbob_sf

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2018, 03:02:34 PM »
95% of me says thank you for all the input.  The other 5% says "lighten up Francis".

It looks like I'm going to be ok based on the fantastic feedback above.  I went into the airbox to put the flies back in b/c I wanted the ECU flash from Steve rather than the PCV solution.  I have no plans to get rid of the bike because the suspension, brake, and lighting tweaks are worth more than the bike at this point.

• The arrows pointed to the lilliputian lake
  • I'll pull the marble blocking the fresh air intake hose
  • The drain hose is likely clogged b/c it should have drained on its own

My ex-wife didn't like the popping, so I went with the marble trick years ago.  I fixed that problem last year, so I'll welcome the popping back.  Thank you gentlemen for the help!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2018, 03:24:09 PM »
verrrry interesting....
 ;)
If you haven't checked or replaced your air filter recently, and it has 15k or more miles on it, might want to replace that also, while you are in there... and especially if you are gonna get a flash from SISF.. to get the full benefit. (along with loosing the marble that was blocking the PAIR valve air, it won't pop with the flash, he has that all covered)
 :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2018, 03:33:24 PM »
  Thank you gentlemen for the help!

Whoa! Whoa! ......whooooa there buddy. Let's be careful how you throw that G word around.
We Someone might have to get out the sword and start swingin' on this thread.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2018, 04:16:33 PM »
Whoa! Whoa! ......whooooa there buddy. Let's be careful how you throw that G word around.
We Someone might have to get out the sword and start swingin' on this thread.
Not to worry...He's only been clubbing baby dragons lately.

Offline jimbob_sf

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2018, 04:34:22 PM »
The air filter a K&N that I clean/oil every 6k miles.  I totally forgot about the plugged line while I had the fairings off this weekend.  I'll pull it apart again, fix the hoses, and report back in a day or two.  It may be Saturday before I get time to do that.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2018, 06:12:20 PM »
The air filter a K&N that I clean/oil every 6k miles. I totally forgot about the plugged line while I had the fairings off this weekend.  I'll pull it apart again, fix the hoses, and report back in a day or two.  It may be Saturday before I get time to do that.

This is kinda what I speak about, on doing diagnosis over the net.. and the propensity for "left out" stuff to prevail...
When I hear stuff like this all, i first off ask.."are you using a K&N, and how did you oil it?"

but, as Marty asked, and no response was made... I moved on, and didn't keep poking.. I should have. Marty has been here long enough, and knows the first thing we will ask is....;
Assuming there hasn't been an after market foam oil impregnated air filter being used, I'm drawing a blank....

maybe i should have asked you to 'mop up the oil', and show the oil (on the rag) to us, instead of just saying mop it up and continue on.. my fault for not doing so.. but, if it was reddish, it would have said a lot, if it was just oil mist, yellowish, still would have told me "crank case vent".
Now, It's revealed you have in fact, a K&N, and have been "servicing it" at 6k mile intervals...
I have no idea how much oil you are applying, but, by Assumption once again, i assume you oiled it when you installed it... (these come pre-oiled... no further oiling was required...) and any cleaning and re-oiling, was done using the "plastic bubble filled with red oil" that came with the filter... and everytime it was oiled, you made it look "RED"...
K&N's, when used in cars, have a huge airflow duct, and most over oiling deposits along this duct.. In this bike, and all others, any over oiling will end up in the airbox. It will also affect performance, and in the case of a C14, even coat the sensors in the airbox...
The filters as they come, are designed for LONG miles between services, every 6k is telling me it has always been over oiled.
The good side, is that whatever air is passing thru the filter, is in fact clean, and dust free.. the downside is, a lot of oil vapor (not bad) is being sucked in also, and as the filter does it's job, and begins holding more dust, the engine wants to 'draw air', which it seems to have been doing thru the crank case vent line also...

I've used these filters in ALL my bikes since 1973.. and I still have the can of aerosol oil, which has been used on every filter, for thousands of miles, sitting half full on my bench.
I've tossed every "plastic bubble" of oil, into a bin, and probably have 20+, which were never used.
after cleaning a filter, using concentrated dish soap, and hot water, and drying the filter completely, I 'spray' the cotton untill its "PINK", not dripping red..(and not from 3" away like they show) which is what K&N says is correct... Red, on a bike filter, is simply too much oil.
https://www.knfilters.com/instructions/18627C_inst.pdf
https://www.knfilters.com/blog/ask-the-experts-at-kn-how-to-use-kn-air-filter-oil-how-much-oil-do-i-use

I don't use these filters on my C14, but do use them on everything else...
Pink is good
Red is over oiled.

pick up the aerosol spray, it's tons easier to use, and use correctly.

Please don't take this as something we (I specifically) are/am saying as something other than we always attempt to help, and now you can see a bit of how difficult it is to ascertain, and diagnose across the continent, via a computer, and actually you are learning something it took years for some of us, to figger' out, and put into simple terms...

it's that 'free prize' thing I always used, when sharing info.

best of luck, and I think you are well on the way to a better running bike.
Ride safe,