Author Topic: 2019 new c14 noisy front tire  (Read 1522 times)

Offline dgdyno

2019 new c14 noisy front tire
« on: February 11, 2019, 04:31:38 PM »
is it normal for the front tire to make a humm or roar win moving
bike is new 100 miles 

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: 2019 new c14 noisy front tire
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 05:13:13 PM »
I don't know about a humm, but I'm always amazed how much noise funnels up from the front wheel on the few rare occasions when I ride short distances without earplugs. I would have to describe it as a roar of air and tire noise coming up the open area over the front wheel and up behind the headlights. It noticably changes pitch on different types pavements, so I've always assumed it was tire noise that gets an amplifying effect from the fairing enclosure somehow. Still you should check it out just in case we are talking about different noises.  Of course on a new bike with the OEM Bridgestones it could be that with all their other poor attributes, they are also noisy...it's been so long since my bike was new that I can't remember. ::)

Offline dgdyno

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 05:35:28 PM »
thanks it could the tire tread pattern

Offline Hexrays

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 08:13:23 PM »
I bought a slightly used 2014 with just over 5K mi. That tire made the noise you described. It was 5 years old an shot. As soon as I put a new Michelin on the noise stopped.
2014 C14, Risers, Cee Bailey Windshield, Givi Top case, GTR Ultra Series LED's, PIAA Sports Horns, Kuryakyn Passenger ISO Pegs.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 09:22:59 PM »
is it normal for the front tire to make a humm or roar win moving
bike is new 100 miles

You are experiencing the worst bike tire ever made. Do yourself and the bike a huge favor and trash 'em before they cause any wonky handling problems like they did with me. The nickname for OEM 021's is Crapstone for a reason. I'm sure they have caused accidents over the years, especially when they get a couple thousand miles on them. Buy some good Pirelli Angels or PR4's.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 05:35:19 AM »
I was most unimpressed with the stock OEM tires.  Once they FINALLY wore out, I was so much happier with the Michelin PR GT series.  They don't handle well, and the wear pattern is poor, especially on the front.

Get some serious miles/experience to justify the tire replacement (unless you just can't stand it)... then replace them AND reflash the ECU.

Those are the two things that prevent the bike from being "stellar".  Just wait and see :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline katata1100

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 08:46:36 AM »
From memory, the stock tires were greasy feeling ( like any new tire ) for first 100 miles. At 300 miles ( got bike new out of state and ride 1000 miles), they felt pretty good. At 1000 miles, they started to go downhill. At around 4000 miles ( I really forget now) rear tires was bald, some steel  belt was starting to peek out. The front had some wear left but had irregular wear pattern, looked awful. Virtually every mile on bike was just basic 70 mph slabbing.
Kawasaki must have gotten one hell of a deal on these tires as they still use them. I mean, how long have these tires been around? Twelve years? More? Mich seems to upgrade their tires every three years.
Anyhow, I thought that the c14 was a two wheel rolling turd before replacing those stock tires with Michelin’s . Now it’s like one one of those hippos in Fantasia - bike is fat and heavy, but she can now dance pretty good!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 02:50:31 PM »
I mean, how long have these tires been around? Twelve years? More? Mich seems to upgrade their tires every three years.  Anyhow, I thought that the c14 was a two wheel rolling turd before replacing those stock tires with Michelin’s

Really.  I wish reviewers of the Concours would end up testing one with decent tires and a reflashed ECU.... it is like a different bike.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Thunderlizard

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 10:46:41 AM »
Really.  I wish reviewers of the Concours would end up testing one with decent tires and a reflashed ECU.... it is like a different bike.

+1

OEM front tire wore out before the rear (first time ever...). Never really felt good.  Replaced with Pirelli Angel GT and reflashed the ECU (Steve's)...perpetual grin...  ;D ;D ;D

Kinda makes you wonder, with such an easy upgrade and such dramatic results, you would think the same geniuses at Kawa that came up with this bike design would incorporate these inexpensive and minor changes?  Take this, add some minor plastic tweaks and cruise control, and you've got a game changer in the reviews?  Makes no sense...
I never ride alone...my Lord and Savior is always with me.

2016 GTR1400 Silver, Shoodaben Hammer Flash! Puig Windshield, AVT PullBack Risers, Grabon Covers, AVT Peg Lowers, Wireless Phone Ram Mount, Canyon Bars with Foot Pegs, Sheepskin Saddle cover, AST Backrest and luggage rack... More to come...
Instagram: markjamesholland

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 02:54:46 PM »
Kinda makes you wonder, with such an easy upgrade and such dramatic results, you would think the same geniuses at Kawa that came up with this bike design would incorporate these inexpensive and minor changes?

Remember, although they could put on decent tires and tweak the FI some, most of the deleterious FI programming is there to meet fuel economy, engine emissions, and noise regulations.  Kawasaki could never apply a flash like Guhl's or Steve's... they would be breaking all kinds of laws/regulations (even if some of them are really quite stupid).