Author Topic: 18 years ago today  (Read 2740 times)

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
18 years ago today
« on: September 10, 2019, 08:37:56 PM »
3,000 people will be spending their last day on this earth with their families and friends.
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: 18 years ago today
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 09:33:27 PM »
:(
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 10:11:23 PM »
Gloom...………   :'(

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 11:35:34 PM »
Found this on FB...
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 12:41:29 AM »
I remember exactly where I was, what I was doing and how I found out. Because the information was relayed by a local (non- news) person with no details (two planes have crashed into the World Trade Center), I immediately thought it was a hoax. Thinking it was 1) a small, private plane and 2) an accident, I thought the odds of it happening twice in one day were astronomical. Of course this being a deliberate, planned attack, with full size airliners never occurred to me as even a remote possibility.

A couple of hours later I found out differently.....

Brian

3,000 people will be spending their last day on this earth with their families and friends.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 06:15:56 AM »
I'm the same. Remember exactly where I was and what Iwas doing.
  At work working in the Dyno Lab.
We heard of 1 aircraft, and remembered we had a TV at work, where we could see what was happening.
Many of us went to look at.
We thought {hoped} it was a huge accident, and then the second Aircraft struck the Tower.
Then we knew, and will never forget.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 06:24:23 AM »
Me too, I remember it all. I was at work without a clue as to what was going on. I got a call from a friend on the east coast telling me to turn on the TV in my office. I sat in front of that TV for the rest of the day...

:'(
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 07:27:01 AM »
Me too.  Was at a wrecking yard in Fredericksburg pulling my radio out of my car that my daughter wrecked.  Walked over to the office and they were all focused on the tv, as was I when I saw what was going on.  Horrible.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 08:22:30 AM »
I was with my brother diving in Bonaire.  We went into a dive shop right after the first plane hit the WTC.  The shop owner knowing we were from the U.S. brought us in the back room where we watched the news and watched live, the second plane fly into the second tower.

It was a very strange feeling that day, being in a foreign country and seeing our country get attacked.  All the people we spoke to that day were very sympathetic, and shocked.

We did a couple dives that afternoon and then spent the night watching the news with a friend of a friend who lived on the island.

The whole world changed that day.  When we went to Bonaire, all we needed to fly was a license for identification.  When we went to leave, they wanted to see our passports.  We didn't have any and it took a little while for them to allow us to get on the plane.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 03:25:41 PM »
The whole world changed that day.  When we went to Bonaire, all we needed to fly was a license for identification.  When we went to leave, they wanted to see our passports.  We didn't have any and it took a little while for them to allow us to get on the plane.

Indeed.  That is the further tragedy.  The trampling of the Constitution and the rise of "security theater."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_Act
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_theater
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 06:14:58 PM »
I guess when you have assholes trying to kill you all the time, things have to change.  Or we have to kill them first.  I'm good with the latter.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 07:45:49 PM »
  Or we have to kill them first.  I'm good with the latter.

:thumbs:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline FTB530

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 09:14:58 PM »
I was working nights and 3/4 of the way home I had to pull off the highway and take a nap, when I woke up the first thing I heard on the radio was that a airplane has hit the WTC, my first thought was in these days with the systems in a airplane hard to believe it was an accident ,
Stopped at my moms and turned on the tv,brother was there and I told them that building will fall, about that time we saw the second plane ! Never forget!

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 11:23:31 PM »
I was scheduled to help turn 200 lbs of elk trimmings into sausage on the 11th. No TV here for quite some time, fired up the confuzer and got online (dial-up) just after first plane hit.

Disconnected internet (dial-up, remember?) called neighbor, said I wasn't coming up, turn on your TV (they had one), news says a plane hit WTC.
Dramatic pause, then they asked for the punch line.
I said there was none, a plane hit the WTC! TURN. ON. YOUR. TV!

Unsure of the elk trimmings, know we don't waste nuttin up here.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2019, 07:14:07 AM »
. . . . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_theater

Intuitively, I knew that taking off my belt and shoes was not increasing the safety of my fellow air travelers or myself. Thanks for the 'Security Theater' reference, it seems that there are lots of unintended consequences to the pretense of being more secure. This is the kind of absurdity I can really appreciate.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2019, 02:29:00 PM »
Absolutely agreed regarding the Constitution. It has been used for a doormat in the past but the events of 9/11 turned it into 'bathroom tissue'. The death of Antonin Scalia helped fuel that fire also- sometimes I think he was in the minority of those who have even read that document. <sigh>

Brian

Indeed.  That is the further tragedy.  The trampling of the Constitution and the rise of "security theater."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_Act
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_theater
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2019, 06:50:29 AM »
Can anyone else remember/post where they were/what they were doing at that moment/on that day?
When I talk to others, it's interesting to me that so many recall that moment so vividly.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2019, 09:14:17 AM »
It seems pretty common with a really big, unexpected and emotional events. It is said that the same thing happened when Abraham Lincoln was shot- people remembered the moment(s) when they found out about that for the rest of their lives. Same thing with J.F.K. back in '63. These are pretty much once in a lifetime events that seem to be particularly intense because they were not expected or even thought of as a possibility. I am sure others will chime in but my guess and experience is that everyone I have spoken with about this remembers that morning with great clarity.

Brian

Can anyone else remember/post where they were/what they were doing at that moment/on that day?
When I talk to others, it's interesting to me that so many recall that moment so vividly.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2019, 09:15:19 AM »
I was with my wife at a surgery center in Modesto, CA.  She was getting painful injections in her neck as a result of a recent vehicle collision.  I was in the waiting room when the first tower was hit, but was unaware.  On the ride home, my wife said that some of the nurses were talking about an airplane that had hit one of the towers.  I figured it was a small plane and had no idea of the scope the attack.  We arrived home and I turned on the T.V. to see only one tower standing.  About one minute later, it came down.  We just sat in front of the T.V. in astonishment and disbelief the whole day. 
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2019, 03:09:21 PM »
It seems pretty common with a really big, unexpected and emotional events. It is said that the same thing happened when Abraham Lincoln was shot- people remembered the moment(s) when they found out about that for the rest of their lives. Same thing with J.F.K. back in '63.

Or when Regan was shot, or the space shuttle exploded.  Highly emotional and/or traumatic events tend to strengthen the memory pathways of the brain.  It is a natural survival trait, and one shared by other animals, too.