Author Topic: New kind of C14 Risers - More pullback than standard ones  (Read 15098 times)

Offline Damn Potholes

• AdvancedSportTouring.com
    • Advanced Sport Touring
New kind of C14 Risers - More pullback than standard ones
« on: March 03, 2012, 01:34:17 PM »
Hey all,

I just released a new set of risers that'll give you an upright riding position but cost way less than the Helibar setup.  They give a full 1 1/2 inch pullback compared to stock.  They'll work on 2010-current.  Sorry to everyone that has an '08 or '09.  The problem comes with the location of the "glovebox" on those models.  Just no way around it.  Its an easy install.  Instructions are at the bottom of the description.  http://www.advancedsporttouring.com/Concours_Risers_p/c14-03.htm.  I put 3,000 miles on them without issue.  Two color choices for brake spacers.

Let me know what you think.

My parts are forged with voodoo curses and unicorn tears.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
Re: New kind of C14 Risers - More pullback than standard ones
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 01:52:54 PM »
Those look nice.   Anyone know if the 2010 cover will bolt on to a 2009? 

Offline Damn Potholes

• Advanced Sport Touring
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 02:05:31 PM »
Those look nice.   Anyone know if the 2010 cover will bolt on to a 2009?

I've had a few people email me that question.  The local dealership sold the '08 I was using to test parts so I can't answer that question but if there's any '08-'09s around Waterford, Michigan I'd buy the '10 center assembly to try it out.  I'd make it worth your while.

Ryan

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 02:43:19 PM »
I replaced the glovebox on my '08 with a '10 cover. The forward mount holes line up. I had to make an offset bracket for the rear. I split a length of vacuum hose for bottom edge trim for the cover.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 03:03:59 PM »
Can you possibly post a few photos?  Thanks

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 03:06:23 PM »
I just released a new set of risers that'll give you an upright riding position but cost way less than the Helibar setup.  They give a full 1 1/2 inch pullback compared to stock. 

(Note, they actually cost MORE than the Helibars Pilot risers.  He is referring to the very expensive Helibars Horizons)

They look very interesting and is twice the pullback of the Helibars Pilot (3/4").  However, the Heli's are 2" rise (claimed), not just 1 1/8" (and RAM mount/powerlet options).  But the greater pullback of yours might be just what people need, more than height.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 03:07:29 PM »
Can you possibly post a few photos?  Thanks

There are plenty on the site link he provided...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Damn Potholes

• Advanced Sport Touring
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 03:21:50 PM »
(Note, they actually cost MORE than the Helibars Pilot risers.  He is referring to the very expensive Helibars Horizons)

They look very interesting and is twice the pullback of the Helibars Pilot (3/4").  However, the Heli's are 2" rise (claimed), not just 1 1/8" (and RAM mount/powerlet options).  But the greater pullback of yours might be just what people need, more than height.

Your right, I was referring to the Horizons.

The 2" rise that they and everyone else that has a set of 2" risers claim is actually just the height of the risers themselves, not the actual amount of rise they give you.  Because of the angle of the triple tree, 2 inches of riser doesn't equal 2 inches of rise because the handlebars are rising and moving towards the rider instead of going straight up.  On the link I provided, I detailed how this calculates out.  Before I designed my own, I was using a set of their 2" risers so I was able to use theirs to confirm this calculation.

As for the Ram Mount option, I have one coming out in the next couple weeks.  CAD work just got finished on friday and I'm waiting on the quotes.  Mine won't be attaching to the risers, but a location much more fitting for mounting a GPS...actually, it will be in any of 6 locations I'll announce when I have finished product in hand.  Let's just say it'll put the GPS directly in line of sight.

Offline Damn Potholes

• Advanced Sport Touring
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 03:29:22 PM »
Basically, these are anyone's standard 2 inch risers but with the top inch moved back towards the rider. 

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 03:49:58 PM »
Nice! I built a 2 piece version for my bike but doing it in one piece looks much cleaner. I have a long torso and these made all the difference for me. This is what made the bike a long distance touring bike for me.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 04:01:27 PM »
Oh and BTW, these are a bargain at $175. To make mine myself I had to first buy 2" risers, $100 (MCL I think). A friend gave me the aluminum blocks but they were too thick so I paid $40 for a machine shop to plain them down to 1" for me. Then another $42 for the counter bore tool, then another couple of hours drilling and cutting the corners. If these were available 2 years ago I would have bought them in a heart beat.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 04:04:24 PM »
The 2" rise that they and everyone else that has a set of 2" risers claim is actually just the height of the risers themselves, not the actual amount of rise they give you.  Because of the angle of the triple tree, 2 inches of riser doesn't equal 2 inches of rise because the handlebars are rising and moving towards the rider instead of going straight up.  On the link I provided, I detailed how this calculates out.  Before I designed my own, I was using a set of their 2" risers so I was able to use theirs to confirm this calculation.

All makes perfect sense.  Had your model been available a year ago, I probably would have chosen them over the Helibars.  I have a long torso and short arms/legs (and also RSI/CTS/etc).  Without the risers, the bike is unrideable.  Once I ALSO added Phil's Wedges, all my problems then disappeared like magic.  It looks like the Wedges would be compatible with your model, also; although getting all the right bolt lengths would be a challenge.

I might be a good candidate for the Horizons, too.  But even more than the expense, they are a pretty major ordeal/operation to install.  And if not liked, going backwards is just as much work.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 04:22:44 PM »
There are plenty on the site link he provided...

Thanks for pointing out the obvious,  my request was directed to the post just prior to me where someone replaced their cover with a 2010+

Offline Damn Potholes

• Advanced Sport Touring
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 04:23:49 PM »
All makes perfect sense.  Had your model been available a year ago, I probably would have chosen them over the Helibars.  I have a long torso and short arms/legs (and also RSI/CTS/etc).  Without the risers, the bike is unrideable.  Once I ALSO added Phil's Wedges, all my problems then disappeared like magic.  It looks like the Wedges would be compatible with your model, also; although getting all the right bolt lengths would be a challenge.

I might be a good candidate for the Horizons, too.  But even more than the expense, they are a pretty major ordeal/operation to install.  And if not liked, going backwards is just as much work.

I had the same problems when I first got my connie.  I tried a bunch of different risers and couldn't get enough pullback to ease the pain in my shoulder and elbow.  Sidenote:  Remodeling a home will turn a perfectly good body into a broken one.  So I started prototyping my own.  These are the result of a considerable amount of trial and error.  They not only have to look good but they have to be safe too.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 06:59:02 PM »
I 've been watching your web site waiting for the pictures , I was going to buy  one of yours , and then I went to craigscrawler last night and found a set of used LSL's 1/2 price. Yours look very nice, good luck with the new Ideas.
I'm one that would like to mount a trunk behind my Corbin drivers seat, I talked to Corban about a midsize trunk in place of the rear seat??????

LSL's for under $250!  I would be all over that deal like stink on.............. you get the point. 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 08:54:20 PM »
Thanks for pointing out the obvious,

Well, people ask for the obvious all the time.  :P

my request was directed to the post just prior to me where someone replaced their cover with a 2010+

That is why there is a "quote" function, so it is possible to know which post someone is replying to.  :)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 08:58:26 PM »
Sidenote:  Remodeling a home will turn a perfectly good body into a broken one.  So I started prototyping my own.

OMG- that is exactly what happened to me too.  I bought a disaster of a house and spent several years remodeling it.  Near the end I developed all kinds of issues :(  My house is now worth 400% what I paid for it 22 years ago... but I am not sure it was worth the price.

Offline DGOLD

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 11:06:35 PM »
Do you think think that phils wedges would work with these risers? I've really like the change in the angle but still want to be back further than with the murphs risers.
1995 c10(gone), 2001 c10(passed on to son),
2010 c14(current mistress)

Offline Damn Potholes

• Advanced Sport Touring
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 05:36:23 AM »
It just so happens I have a set of Phil's wedges.  I'll try those out in combination with my risers today and let you know.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 09:44:42 AM »
Well, people ask for the obvious all the time.  :P

That is why there is a "quote" function, so it is possible to know which post someone is replying to.  :)

I assumed that chronological common sense could be applied, I do use the quote function if I am referring to a response that is not directly above my reply.  Sorry for the confusion.   I see your point and have no interest in a pointless pissing contest over something simple.  :thumbs: