Author Topic: Checking the coolant level?  (Read 13172 times)

Offline Bikeman875

Checking the coolant level?
« on: June 07, 2016, 03:22:45 PM »
Please don't tell me that you have to take the faring off just to see the level in the coolant reservoir,  I just must be missing it somewhere? 2011 C14  ???
2011 C14
2007 Ducati 1098
1996 Honda VFR
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT Auto

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Checking the coolant level?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 04:18:20 PM »
OK, we won't tell you that.

Offline Bikeman875

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 05:37:39 PM »
Wow really? so you think you might give me a clue where to look for it before I take all
the plastic off just to find out it is already full.
2011 C14
2007 Ducati 1098
1996 Honda VFR

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 06:25:41 PM »
Bikeman,  I can sort of see the res through the gills on the left side of my '08. I assume the location is the same on the second gen bikes but I can't say for sure. I have to drop the plastic to service.

Offline Bikeman875

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 07:37:42 PM »
Thanks I will look
2011 C14
2007 Ducati 1098
1996 Honda VFR

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 08:05:00 PM »
I can see mine quite clearly on the left side through the vents.  I had the fairing off some time ago and used a marker to make it easier to see the level.  Don't know about the 10+ bikes.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 09:04:07 PM »
I can't recall seeing it on mine, but the manual clearly shows it as visible through the fairing.  Page 200
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 05:00:18 AM »
Bikeman,  I can sort of see the res through the gills on the left side of my '08. I assume the location is the same on the second gen bikes but I can't say for sure. I have to drop the plastic to service.

The superiority of the Gen 1 bikes shows through again.    :)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 05:27:43 AM »

;D  :thumbs:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 05:41:31 AM »

Except not...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 10:35:12 AM »
I can see mine quite clearly on the left side through the vents.  I had the fairing off some time ago and used a marker to make it easier to see the level. 

<Furiously writing that down ....>
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline Bikeman875

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 01:57:17 PM »
Thank you for all your responses, once I saw the picture and got a bright flashlight I was able to see where you check it.
The good news is that it is full but the bad news, and there always is, is that something is leaking on the front of the motor.
Cant tell what the fluid is and where it is coming from but it is all over everything, it may be oil because there is allot of dirt
stuck to it. I'm either going to have to pull it all apart or take it in and get it it fixed. :(
2011 C14
2007 Ducati 1098
1996 Honda VFR

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 03:09:20 PM »
Thank you for all your responses, once I saw the picture and got a bright flashlight I was able to see where you check it.
The good news is that it is full but the bad news, and there always is, is that something is leaking on the front of the motor.
Cant tell what the fluid is and where it is coming from but it is all over everything, it may be oil because there is allot of dirt
stuck to it. I'm either going to have to pull it all apart or take it in and get it it fixed. :(

Probably the cam position sensor. Very common. If you ever get in there, replace the O-ring with a slightly thicker one available I believe now at Murphs.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2016, 03:32:05 PM »
I can't recall seeing it on mine, but the manual clearly shows it as visible through the fairing.  Page 200

??? ???
Ohhhh nooooooooo.....
That would require reading the book.... and actually getting down on one knee.... and.................... looking...

There must be a better way......

::)

Flashlight helps.. that's one of those things that holds batteries, and when you press the switch giving light, projected in a beam.... it should not buzz, if it does, return it to the wife, and ask for a flashlight... she will help you...... maybe.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2016, 03:34:44 PM »
??? ???
Ohhhh nooooooooo.....
That would require reading the book.... and actually getting down on one knee.... and.................... looking...

Flashlight helps.. that's one of those things that holds batteries, and when you press the switch giving light, projected in a beam.... it should not buzz, if it does, return it to the wife, and ask for a flashlight... she will help you...... maybe.
:rotflmao:
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2016, 03:51:49 PM »
Hey, its always easier to go online, type a question, and sit.. than it is to go out and figure it out.... or even read the book that comes with the bike,

I have a hard time figuring out how some people learned to do things to prevent dirty undies before the internet was invented.
Well, my mom always told me to......(I'll leave this open, you supply the answer....)
Thank you Scotty.. no klingons here.. :cool: :hitfan: :hitfan: :hitfan: :1DeadBanana :stirpot: :censored: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2016, 05:09:32 PM »
??? ???
Ohhhh nooooooooo.....

:rotflmao:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Bikeman875

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2016, 06:01:04 PM »
Probably the cam position sensor. Very common. If you ever get in there, replace the O-ring with a slightly thicker one available I believe now at Murphs.
Thanks I will look into that and fix it.
2011 C14
2007 Ducati 1098
1996 Honda VFR

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2016, 06:11:58 PM »
Yes, Since all the heat of the engine escapes & bakes the rider the coolant level is of no concern  :rotflmao:
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2016, 07:53:24 PM »
Yes, Since all the heat of the engine escapes & bakes the rider the coolant level is of no concern  :rotflmao:

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
Or, in this case, if you can't stand the heat, get back in the kitchen and make me a sandwich.  :stirpot:
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....