Author Topic: Bug out bike  (Read 4395 times)

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
Bug out bike
« on: January 21, 2016, 06:06:21 AM »
I am contemplating the purchase of a well used XR650L for use as a periodic commuter and "Bug out bike".  I fugure for 1k, it would be worth having around.

32k on the clock, baja tank, cams, exhaust, hand guards, etc. Cosmetically a bit rough but it was regularly serviced and seems to run well.

Thoughts?
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Bug out bike
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 06:19:09 AM »
Don't know anything about those bikes but the idea is sound. Should fit on a bumper hitch bike rack. Fast get-a-way then way deep in the boonies. Cosmetically , a couple of cans of desert camo might be in order.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 06:26:46 AM »
That's the loosely based game plan....
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 07:12:08 AM »
I'm totally on board with the concept. I have a 2001 Suzuki DR650. Cosmetically rough but mechanically sound. Have ridden all over Colorado on it and have camped solo miles from the nearest other human being. Sometimes it's a blast to hop on a 325 lbs bike after riding a 700 lbs bike. Feels so light and nimble.

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 08:15:29 AM »
  I have an XR650L and really enjoy it. Other than being a bit of a pig on single track, I really like the versatility. It will maintain highway speeds all day and does well on dirt roads and trails. No complaints here. Be sure and check if there is any wear on the counter sprocket shaft. The sprocket is relatively thin compared to the shaft. One fix for that is to install an XR600 sprocket. There are some great resources on the XRL on both ADV Rider and Thumpertalk forums. Look for the "Dave's Mod" for more performance.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 05:19:05 AM »
I picked it up Friday. Spent all day cleaning and servicing it. The upside is it has 6300 miles, not 32k. The downside, most folks don't maintain vehicles like I do. It's gonna take a lot of hours to get that bike in the condition I like to have my motorcycles. Cars move my body, motorcycles move my soul.

Offline timmerz

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 01:13:18 PM »
I have a plated 2000 XR650R that I alternate commuting during the week with my C10 and Voyager, and on the weekends when I have time I change out the rims and chain to the dirt set-up and go play...takes about a half-hour to effect the change, and it's a whole different beast...geared-down and knobby!
Congrats on the new bike! That e-start makes a huge difference, doesn't it!

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 10:55:43 PM »
Had the KLR650 which I had to sell. Had a Cowley exhaust and sounded crazy loud, especially when twisting the throttle hard.

Missing that bike, as it was always nice to go play on the dirt roads with it. Have to agree with Rhino on the weight differences as well, great to be able to throw the weight around with ease.
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14