Author Topic: rocks jammed cooling fan  (Read 3600 times)

Offline roland

rocks jammed cooling fan
« on: December 03, 2012, 06:55:26 PM »
In North Carolina's infinite wisdom, sometimes when they "repave" secondary roads they just put down tar and spread rock over the  tar.... Well just to let you know some way two small rocks about the size of a pencil eraser found their way into my right side fan. I was running the bike in the shop at idle and the fans didnt come on at the usual temp, and the temp kept climbing. I shut the bike down and took a long wooden dowel and tried to move the fan. It moved but was really tight. I kept messing with it and then heard two clicks under the bike and the fan freed right up..... looking under the bike I found the two rocks, That must have been a lucky shot to make it thru all the other crap and end up in the fan. Anyway replaced the 15a fan fuse and all is good. Just wanted to let you guys know.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: rocks jammed cooling fan
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 07:12:29 PM »
Scary stuff- sounds like you were lucky you didn't have a punctured radiator or at least a destroyed fan!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 07:17:08 PM »
Radiator guard was the 2nd thing I bought for my bike.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline DenverC-14

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 07:34:25 PM »
We (in CO) too have the same Tar/gravel b.s. as well, and I've been hit many a time by small rocks. The rad guard was a necessity because after only a couple thousand miles my radiator looked like it had been hit by a claymore.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 08:33:05 PM »
65,000 miles, KiPass has been my radiator guard.

I heard rocks hitting not only in Colorado but while off-roading in the desert too (Moab/Valley of Fire/Phoenix)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline pistole

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 09:27:09 PM »
- seen this before , and it can happen whether or not you have a rad guard.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 09:44:40 PM »
Not seeing how a radiator guard would have prevented this.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 04:09:26 AM »
+1.  Very little chance of a rock/pebble coming through the rad that could jam one of the fans without holing the rad.  I'm wondering, Roland, do you have a fender extender?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 10:06:21 AM »

True, just protects it better from everything else.  ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 11:00:01 AM »
Reading this in print, it comes across kinda snotty. Sorry bout that. Not My intention.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 11:26:46 AM »

Reading this in print, it comes across kinda snotty. Sorry bout that. Not My intention.

You're right though. The rocks couldn't have come through the radiator, rather from the side.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 11:34:45 AM »
I wonder if it's possible for debris to fling up and over the radiator, and drop into the fan from behind? If that is the case, a fender extender has some preventive merit.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 12:17:14 PM »
I would think more from under but I'm thinking the same thing about the extender.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline BMahar

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 01:08:49 PM »
  I had the same thing happen to my 2007 Bandit. I do have a fender extender on but the bike isn't full faired so the small rock got lodged between the fan and radiator.
 I didn't think this would happen to a fully faired bike.
 Certainly good information.
 Thank you Roland.
 Brent
2011 Concours ABS, Black

Offline roland

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 07:58:02 PM »
No fender extender or rad. guard.... Nothing went thru the rad. It had to have hit and bounced off the header pipe and went up to get into the fan. DAMIFINO but I guess kpass protected me from anything really bad happening.  ;D
Just wanted to let you guys know how weird the world can be.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 08:23:04 PM »
No fender extender or rad. guard.... Nothing went thru the rad. It had to have hit and bounced off the header pipe and went up to get into the fan. DAMIFINO but I guess kpass protected me from anything really bad happening.  ;D
Just wanted to let you guys know how weird the world can be.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 04:10:56 AM »
The front wheel can kick up all kinds of debris.  I'm beginning to think the fender extender is more of a protective device than the rad protector.