Author Topic: Keypass dies on trip  (Read 29430 times)

Offline Coomers

Keypass dies on trip
« on: September 29, 2013, 04:24:48 PM »
With 28,000 mi on my 08 I fell victim to keypass. It had never happened to me before but luckily I had learned from this site what to do in the event of a failure. The bad part is I was traveling with two other guys on Harley’s and they couldn’t help themselves.

I’m not sure if this is normal or not but since my first Keypass failure two days ago, it hasn’t worked since without either disconnecting the wire harness or banging on the ignition. Not even once?

Has anyone put together detailed instructions on removing and dismantling the ignition and cleaning the tumbler thingy?

Thanks,

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Keypass dies on trip
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 04:39:21 PM »
It's not for the faint of heart...  http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/kipass  and it ain't easy.  Take the key out and give it a good flushing with contact cleaner around the 9 o'clock position.  It helps to use the key from the key fob to push the switch in a downward motion as you're doing it.  Supposedly Kwak Central has a stronger spring that they can install.  It's happened to me a few times but I've beaten the  :censored: out of it and it reluctantly worked.  I carry a hammer for just such an occasion.  Others carry a K-rock.  Brian (B.D.F.) has a connector that can be used to make it work temporarily but I haven't had to use it.  I prefer beating the  :censored: out of it and cursing it back to the stone age.  Unfortunately it puts nicks in my sword as well.

And it's KIPASS, please make a note of it... ;)

Which reminds me, I haven't flushed it out lately so that's on my list of to do's.

As far as HD guys having some fun at our expense, I feel for you.  Happened to me but on a 1981 Honda Silver Wing GL500...  HD guy wanted to tow me  :_shudder_Emoticon :yikes:

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 05:48:31 PM »
  I carry a hammer for just such an occasion.  Others carry a K-rock. .  Unfortunately it puts nicks in my sword as well.

http://youtu.be/J6_1Pw1xm9U
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 07:48:12 PM »
haters!  :(
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 08:09:48 PM »
 :)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 08:20:50 PM »
KIPASS didn't fail.  A piece of stamped steel and weak spring did.  Same components a keyed system use.

Offline whatcom

• Bellingham, WA
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 10:29:08 PM »
On 08 and 09 bikes, if you look at the space around the outside of keyholder at the 9:00 position, you can see a little square tab sticking out from the keyswitch over a little square plastic plunger in a plastic square hole. When the key is pushed in, that tab pushes on the plunger. in a plastic square hole. The plunger has a spring inside of it  that looks like it came out of a ball point pen and the switch is under the plunger. The switch never goes out, it is the plunger sticking. The plunger and hole is pretty long and pretty tight clearance, so over time dirt builds up and the plunger sticks in the bottom position holding the switch down and the bike will not start (that is why some people bang on it, to make the plunger pop back up). Squirting a cleaner around the plunger that is plastic save is a good way to clean it out and let the plunger come back up. Cleaning it every once in a while and you would prabably never have a problem with it.
Kawasaki will install the newer stronger spring for free through the dealers, but it is not simple to do, make sure you get them to order the new security bolts before they start, as the bolts are one time use only to prevent theft. The newer bikes also have a splash shield in that space where you can see the tab and plunger/hole to try to keep it cleaner.
2013 ZX14r white abs no-flies, scottoiler
2012  C14 Arabian red
Full AreaP ZX14 TB's PCV with dyno map for TB's Rostra CC, W&S remote, A&R HID, Kawasaki trunk with SW-Motech rack, 08/09 storage compartment

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 04:36:18 AM »
With 28,000 mi on my 08 I fell victim to keypass. It had never happened to me before but luckily I had learned from this site what to do in the event of a failure. The bad part is I was traveling with two other guys on Harley’s and they couldn’t help themselves.

I’m not sure if this is normal or not but since my first Keypass failure two days ago, it hasn’t worked since without either disconnecting the wire harness or banging on the ignition. Not even once?

Has anyone put together detailed instructions on removing and dismantling the ignition and cleaning the tumbler thingy?

Thanks,

Instead of beating on the poor thing press the stove knob down with your finger tip and while holding it down let your finger slip off to the side and allow the key to snap back up. Do this till it works, or not.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 04:50:34 AM »
Not as fun, not prudent.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 05:15:25 AM »
Not as fun, not prudent.

True, but if one doesn't carry a hammer or a rock...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 05:18:07 AM »
Or a sword...

Offline Coomers

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 06:06:02 AM »
So other than spraying some plastic safe contact cleaner down the key slot, how does one clean the plunger regularly with out taking it apart?

Will Kawasaki install the new spring if the bike is long out of Warrantee?

Thanks,

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 06:56:32 AM »
You clean it as best you can without taking it apart.  Don't know if Kwak is replacing the springs gratis on out of warranty bikes as it's a fairly invasive job.  I would tend to doubt it though.  Most times the issue has been very intermittent.  Very rarely does it stay on the fritz...  You do have good battery power, right?

As Conrad said, keep pushing down on the switch whilst spraying the  :censored: out of it with cleaner.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 08:21:23 AM »
So other than spraying some plastic safe contact cleaner down the key slot, how does one clean the plunger regularly with out taking it apart?

Will Kawasaki install the new spring if the bike is long out of Warrantee?

Thanks,

Clean a C14!?   
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline whatcom

• Bellingham, WA
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 12:07:24 PM »
Brought my 08 in last year out of warranty and the dealer called and got authorization from Kawasaki. The dealer got the parts in (spring and security bolts) but did not want to do the job because it is pretty involved and they don't get reimbursed from Kawasaki enough. I just kept up my routine of WD-40 under that square tab at 9 oclock every few months and told them to forget about it. Sold the bike and got a new 2012 and after several months the new owner forgot about the WD-40 routine, got stuck out on the road and had another dealer do the job for free.
2013 ZX14r white abs no-flies, scottoiler
2012  C14 Arabian red
Full AreaP ZX14 TB's PCV with dyno map for TB's Rostra CC, W&S remote, A&R HID, Kawasaki trunk with SW-Motech rack, 08/09 storage compartment

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 01:24:02 PM »
hopefully you bought the 12 from a different dealer, the first dealer who said they did not get paid enough to do warranty work would not get another penny from me.  I understand they get "less" for warranty work but if they live by that creed I wonder if they only charge the customer for the "actual time to complete a job" or the "BOOK TIME".  I am sure you know the answer to that as well as I do, works both ways.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 07:47:50 PM by 556ALPHA »

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2013, 02:06:54 PM »
^^^I see your point and i'm not about stealerships at all. But its common here when a stealership has a great rep and are slammed with service work with no mechanics available, they simply turn away the warranty business. It doesn't pay as well, nor serve their "regulars".

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 02:08:36 PM »
Then they should not be authorized Kawasaki dealers.

Offline DGOLD

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 02:57:10 PM »
I would think their contract with Kawa would obligate them to do the work.
1995 c10(gone), 2001 c10(passed on to son),
2010 c14(current mistress)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 03:15:44 PM »
I would think the same thing.  They want to sell bikes but they don't want to do any warranty work then they don't need to be dealers for the product.  A few calls to Kawasaki might solve that problem one way or the other.