Author Topic: Finally got my first nail in a tire ever  (Read 11024 times)

Offline Haroldo_PSF

Finally got my first nail in a tire ever
« on: May 03, 2012, 09:40:59 AM »
See the pics. It looks like a staple, but it is a bent nail, with one puncture only.
The tire (Pirelli Angel) has about 1000 miles on it (son of a ....!).

1) Can this be fixed with a simple tire fix/patch kit I have at home?
2) If yes to the above, would that be a temporary fix, or could I ride the remaining life of the tire on that patch/fix?

Offline momo65

Re: Finally got my first nail in a tire ever
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 09:46:21 AM »
Bummer,  were you able to make it home, patch kit time.

Offline Haroldo_PSF

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 09:52:46 AM »
Bummer,  were you able to make it home, patch kit time.

Oh yes. I can't tell you how much I LOVE these TPS sensors. It is the second time they not only warned me I had a flat, but also their readings told me it was a slow leak flat, and I could get home as I monitored the pressure in the highway.

First time was a couple of years back, when I was about to leave from work and the front tire was on the ground. I inflated it, and rode to the shop while monitoring the pressure on the dash.

This time yesterday, as soon as I got on the freeway, I noticed the rear pressure was at 35psi, compared to 41psi that same morning. I immediatelly knew I had an issue. And at the same time, I knew I was OK to keep going, as I had enough pressure (35psi), and I could keep monitoring the pressure as I went.

These sensors are one of my favorite features of this bike. In addition to identifying a possible flat, they also let you know when you tires are warm in cold mornings after a few miles, when the pressure goes up a bit.

But again, I have zero experience with patching, or having it patched, or riding with a patched tire. If I fix it, can I actually ride the remaining life of the tire on the fix? If not, I would just patch to learn how to do it, and then get a new tire anyway. The bike is in my garage.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 09:58:19 AM »
You'll get a lot of differing opinions on this. I recently had my first flat on my C14, picked up a screw in the back tire. I patched it using my sticky rope kit and I plan on riding with the tire that way till it's worn out. The fix worked perfectly and the tire is not losing any air at all.

I asked my dealer's tech about this and his advice was to ride on but to keep it below 100mph. I didn't listen to the second part of his advice...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 11:54:09 AM »
If it were me I would do a plug/patch and just keep a close eye on it. 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 12:01:37 PM »
Well, for the sake of entertainment I would suggest watching Freds videos after a six pack of your favorite brew.  Wait a coupla days, patch/plug using elmers glue.  Post up results as help is required!!  Lets turn this into another epic thread for the memory books, I would also suggest waiting until the 10th to begin.

If ya aint ready for that again, I would follow what Jeremy said, but where would the fun be in that?

Bummer on the staple, I had something similar happen when I was going through the State Instructor Prep class on my RT.  I simply filled the tire to 50ish and rode home, still had 42 after 50 mile trip.  I was due a new tire anyway so I went that route, which turned me into a Pireli fan.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 03:08:51 PM »
Hey Haroldo, good to see you around and posting.

As Conrad said, you will get the entire smear of opinions on this one. I would plug a tire and keep going but only if the hole was clean and round, the tire had a decent amount of life left in it (maybe 50% or more) and the hole was close to perpendicular to the tire carcass.

Another, and probably better option, is to patch the tire from the inside. A properly installed patch should let you forget all about it for the rest of the tire's life. The downside is that you have to de-mount and remount the tire to patch them.

All of that said, even if a plug fails they usually seem to leak rather than have the tire blowout. Given that these bikes have TPS, it reduces the danger of having a <reasonably> slow leak in a tire in the first place and makes a plug more forgiving.

Brian

See the pics. It looks like a staple, but it is a bent nail, with one puncture only.
The tire (Pirelli Angel) has about 1000 miles on it (son of a ....!).

1) Can this be fixed with a simple tire fix/patch kit I have at home?
2) If yes to the above, would that be a temporary fix, or could I ride the remaining life of the tire on that patch/fix?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline koval68

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 08:52:11 PM »
Plug it for now and when you can (if you can find someone willing to do this...), patch it from inside using the mushroom with the stem type patch.
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Gsun

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 10:45:33 PM »
I have Angels and got a nail (rear) at about the same milage, maybe less. I plugged it and it's still going strong. Not going to bother patching unless it starts to leak. TPMS saved me too.

Offline McJunkie

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 05:23:38 AM »
I always believed that if you ended up getting something in your tire that it's best to replace it. Why take a chance of a sudden deflation and risk your life. That was until I picked up a screw a thousand miles after buying new tires. Took it in and had a patch/plug put in and monitored it for another 12 K until I needed new tires.

Offline MikeERideWNC

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 09:45:24 AM »
I would Mushroom plug/patch it from the inside of the tire.

I have successfully done this for several riders who have gotten many more thousands of miles from the tires.

I have these on the shelf if ever needed in the Western NC area.

Offline Haroldo_PSF

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 05:01:29 PM »
Plug it for now and when you can (if you can find someone willing to do this...), patch it from inside using the mushroom with the stem type patch.

that's exactly what I'll do. I had spoken with this family owned shop I take my Triumph Tiger to (third party), and they do that for $30 bucks or so (wheel off the bike when I come in, they take tire off, mushroom it, and put tire back on the rim). I'll do that and ride the tire until its done.

Hey Brian!!! The two year in the planning 10000 miles ride to the arctic and back is in a month! If you plan to be around Seatlle at the time, I'd like to meet you for....what was it you liked again...a Scotch, right?

Taff

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 08:21:13 PM »
that's exactly what I'll do. I had spoken with this family owned shop I take my Triumph Tiger to (third party), and they do that for $30 bucks or so (wheel off the bike when I come in, they take tire off, mushroom it, and put tire back on the rim). I'll do that and ride the tire until its done.

Hey Brian!!! The two year in the planning 10000 miles ride to the arctic and back is in a month! If you plan to be around Seatlle at the time, I'd like to meet you for....what was it you liked again...a Scotch, right?

Hit me up too  :chugbeer: :chugbeer:

Son of Pappy

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 02:15:00 AM »
Me three Haraldo.  Tools and whatnot on hand and any other assistance you may need or desire, includes a lake side camping spot complete with geese and goslings ;D  Not too far off the path your'e likely to be traveling either.  Name and info is in the book, Chet Mainwaring in Port Orchard, WA.  I'm good for anywhere in the state, provided I aint on the mountain.  Shoot some likely dates, my schedule is extremly flexible knowadays.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 07:28:30 AM »
That sounds like a fine plan with the tire.

As far as Seattle goes (Tacoma actually but close enough), nothing definate yet but there is a plan that has me leaving here (east coast) on or around 6 June and getting to the west coast on 8 June- another CC 50. I would be in Tacoma until somewhere around 20 June and then head back although at a more relaxed pace and with my wife for at least part of the trip. If we do cross paths, by all means let's meet up somewhere and see what damage we can do to the local establishment(s)! Best of luck on your trip north.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline RideBellChain

• RideBellChain.com Send a bell, receive a free bell!
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 05:11:08 PM »
There's a great product out there called "Ride On" that I put in all my tires.  Rode my cruiser home (1100 lbs loaded with 2 passengers) with a 4" nail stuck in the tire.  Makes it like a self-sealing tire, then I used the gooey plug and was fine until I replaced it.

Sidewalls?  No way. Replace it immediately...in the tread, you're ok.  I wouldn't race with it, but for street use, sure.
Ride Safe!  Mark Turkel
http://www.RideBellChain.com
2012 Black Kawi Concours 14, 2008 Yami Royal Star Venture

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 11:16:11 PM »
I went from Co to west coast then back to FL on a plug named Jill. Reminds me...I still need to send Rick Hall a little sumthin' for the help him and stavee gave me out there
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2018, 12:09:19 PM »
Well, add me to the list.  I just discovered my first nail in a tire, ever.  I went to ride this morning and when I uncovered the bike, I noticed what looked like a white line on the rear tire's tread (of my practically new PR4GT).  I looked closer, and it looked like a large staple.  I went and got some pliers and pulled on it to discover it was a steel nail with no head!  I wonder how long that had been in there???

I carefully pulled it out- it was embedded at a very acute angle, about 3/4" into the tire.  Surprising how much force it took to remove and how "sticky" the tire is.  No air loss and no leaking, even after 100+ miles today.  I am not sure if I should be worried or not.... I suppose not.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2018, 12:20:02 PM »
If the angle was shallow enough (meaning close to parallel with the outside of the tire), it is entirely possible that it never penetrated all the way (Easy Boys!) through the tire. Otherwise, this would be the first time I have ever heard of a tire puncture of any size that did not at least result in a slow leak.

But if the tire is not leaking, I personally would not worry about it. It sounds like the object was fairly small in dia. so it is doubtful any structural damage was done to the tire carcass.

Brian

Well, add me to the list.  I just discovered my first nail in a tire, ever.  I went to ride this morning and when I uncovered the bike, I noticed what looked like a white line on the rear tire's tread (of my practically new PR4GT).  I looked closer, and it looked like a large staple.  I went and got some pliers and pulled on it to discover it was a steel nail with no head!  I wonder how long that had been in there???

I carefully pulled it out- it was embedded at a very acute angle, about 3/4" into the tire.  Surprising how much force it took to remove and how "sticky" the tire is.  No air loss and no leaking, even after 100+ miles today.  I am not sure if I should be worried or not.... I suppose not.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2018, 01:07:45 PM »
If the angle was shallow enough (meaning close to parallel with the outside of the tire),

It was a remarkably shallow angle.  If I had to guess, I would say maybe 15 degrees.

it is entirely possible that it never penetrated all the way (Easy Boys!) through the tire. Otherwise, this would be the first time I have ever heard of a tire puncture of any size that did not at least result in a slow leak.

Hopefully it will continue to not leak.  I assume if it didn't leak after 100 miles today, then it probably still won't.  I will keep my fingers crossed.   The nail had to have been in the tire for at least a week (of course, pulling it out is more likely to result in a leak than leaving it in).

But if the tire is not leaking, I personally would not worry about it. It sounds like the object was fairly small in dia. so it is doubtful any structural damage was done to the tire carcass.

The diameter of the nail is 3mm.   I was angry after I pulled it out and didn't remember take a photo of it before removal.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc