Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 671527 times)

Offline Strawboss

Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #1560 on: July 22, 2014, 01:01:44 PM »
If you order a car from a dealer in Ohio, to be shipped to that dealer in Ohio, the factory installs the front license plate bracket automatically, for free. A big, honking, ugly, riveted monstrosity that cannot be removed without damaging the bumper.  Not what I ordered.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1561 on: July 22, 2014, 04:33:38 PM »
I was in court some years back and the judge had a man up before the bench that was ticketed for not having a front license plate on his Corvette.  VA requires both front and rear.  The man stated it ruined the lines of the vehicle so he didn't put one on the front.  He then showed the judge a picture of the vehicle.  The judge then started pondering out loud why VA has the requirement for two plates.  He thought that it would be cheaper for all involved if it was only one plate.  He sighed and then dismissed the charge.  However, he told the man that regardless of how it made the car look, it had to have two plates, so get the front installed post haste.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1562 on: July 23, 2014, 06:50:03 AM »
If you order a car from a dealer in Ohio, to be shipped to that dealer in Ohio, the factory installs the front license plate bracket automatically, for free. A big, honking, ugly, riveted monstrosity that cannot be removed without damaging the bumper.  Not what I ordered.

I was in court some years back and the judge had a man up before the bench that was ticketed for not having a front license plate on his Corvette.  VA requires both front and rear.  The man stated it ruined the lines of the vehicle so he didn't put one on the front.  He then showed the judge a picture of the vehicle.  The judge then started pondering out loud why VA has the requirement for two plates.  He thought that it would be cheaper for all involved if it was only one plate.  He sighed and then dismissed the charge.  However, he told the man that regardless of how it made the car look, it had to have two plates, so get the front installed post haste.

When we ordered our new Jetta back in 2012 I told the salesman that I DO NOT want the front plate bracket installed. He told me that the bracket gets installed by the dealer before the customer takes delivery and that he would make sure that the bracket doesn't get installed even though the front plate is required in Illinois (I've been driving cars/trucks here since 1985 without a front plate and never had an issue). So after about 3 months of waiting for our car it's finally ready to pick up. My wife and I take the train into Chicago to pick up our new car and guess what? As I'm looking the car over I find that the front bracket was installed by the service monkeys, requiring two holes drilled through the plastic bumper skin into the metal underneath. I was VERY unhappy with the dealership at that moment and I let our salesman know about it. What was I to do, refuse the car? He gave me a bunch of VW swag items to try to make up for it, it didn't. The salesman found the monkey who installed the bracket and asked him why he installed it when there was a note on the car saying not to. The monkey said that front plates are required in Illinois so he installed it...

The first thing that I did when I got the car home was to remove the front bracket and plug the holes with color matched plugs. I'm anal, so what! 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #1563 on: July 23, 2014, 12:34:21 PM »
Don't come to San Francisco, you'll get a ticket from a meter maid when its parked on the side of the road for it. :(  DAMHIK
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #1564 on: July 27, 2014, 08:07:36 AM »
Exactly the way I feel Conrad. Ohio was considering removing the front plate but it was halted somewhere in the process, it may come up again in 2015 when the climate for such change will be better. I too have not run a front plate since around 1990. 

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #1565 on: July 27, 2014, 08:19:43 AM »
I am really surprised that you guys are getting away without running a front plate (in a state that requires it). We also use 2 plates on a car and you absolutely will get popped for not displaying a front plate.... and it will not take decades either. And on the third of fourth stop for the same thing, some other mechanism will kick in and involve a tow truck.

We also get hit around here for missing or expired inspection stickers (required annually). Any individual LEO on routine traffic duty will do this but there are also roving little groups of LEO and state DOT folks who visually inspect each and every single car passing and pull everybody without a sticker or the incorrect colored one.

Brian

Exactly the way I feel Conrad. Ohio was considering removing the front plate but it was halted somewhere in the process, it may come up again in 2015 when the climate for such change will be better. I too have not run a front plate since around 1990.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1566 on: July 27, 2014, 08:51:41 AM »
I am really surprised that you guys are getting away without running a front plate (in a state that requires it). We also use 2 plates on a car and you absolutely will get popped for not displaying a front plate.... and it will not take decades either. And on the third of fourth stop for the same thing, some other mechanism will kick in and involve a tow truck.

We also get hit around here for missing or expired inspection stickers (required annually). Any individual LEO on routine traffic duty will do this but there are also roving little groups of LEO and state DOT folks who visually inspect each and every single car passing and pull everybody without a sticker or the incorrect colored one.

Brian

I've received a performance award or two while driving without a front license plate and the LEO didn't say a word about it.

In my area inspections are not required so no stickers.

WAY back when in our 'poor days' while in the Army in Colorado my wife and I couldn't afford to get our old beater (1970 Chevy Caprice) inspected. My wife is an artist so she (allegedly) made a 'duplicate' state inspection sticker that I (allegedly) taped onto the inside of the windshield (I removed it while parked). Never had an issue with that either.   ;)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #1567 on: July 27, 2014, 08:52:32 AM »
Here in Ohio, the police don't stress a lot of importance to something as trivial as a front license plate, most of the time if you are cited its because the cop is being somewhat of a book follower, or its secondary to something else, kind of like a seat belt violation. This is my experience in Ohio, which is mostly suburban/rural, of course there are exceptions, but Ohio police around my parts seem to be preoccupied with other things. My idiot brother-in-law the cop even commented that cars look better with no front plate. Agreeing with me does not make him better, he still exhibits moronic behavior.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1568 on: July 27, 2014, 09:19:58 AM »
Yeah, absolutely a different state of mind between 'there' and 'here'. Once an LEO has someone stopped and his pen all warmed up, there is no way I believe anyone would get away without also being cited for 'no front plate', no inspection sticker and every other blatant violation. Just a different mindset I guess.

Brian

I've received a performance award or two while driving without a front license plate and the LEO didn't say a word about it.

Here in Ohio, the police don't stress a lot of importance to something as trivial as a front license plate, most of the time if you are cited its because the cop is being somewhat of a book follower, or its secondary to something else, kind of like a seat belt violation. This is my experience in Ohio, which is mostly suburban/rural, of course there are exceptions, but Ohio police around my parts seem to be preoccupied with other things. My idiot brother-in-law the cop even commented that cars look better with no front plate. Agreeing with me does not make him better, he still exhibits moronic behavior.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #1569 on: July 27, 2014, 09:29:15 AM »
Police generated income through CS citations is not as important in other areas of the country.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1570 on: July 27, 2014, 09:32:25 AM »
Since this is a thread about nothing at all did you know that if you use a bit wd-40 on the little renewal stickers the great state of ILL-inois sells for $101 that it leaves nothing at all?

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #1571 on: July 27, 2014, 09:35:48 AM »
If you prune your hydrangeas buds that died over the winter, it won't bloom this summer.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1572 on: July 27, 2014, 09:45:06 AM »
I didn't know that!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1573 on: July 27, 2014, 09:50:42 AM »
Since this is a thread about nothing at all did you know that if you use a bit wd-40 on the little renewal stickers the great state of ILL-inois sells for $101 that it leaves nothing at all?

Do you mean that the text on the sticker rubs away to nothingness? You don't even have to use any WD-40 for this to happen, just rubbing the sticker to make sure that it's stuck will rub the damn text off.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #1574 on: July 27, 2014, 09:52:29 AM »
And, there are little pellets you can buy to sprinkle around the plant that will alter the soil acid/base relationship and change the color of the flowers. Blue, white, or pink. I would not spray WD-40 on my hydrangea plant, it would wilt to nothing.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1575 on: July 27, 2014, 09:57:54 AM »
And, there are little pellets you can buy to sprinkle around the plant that will alter the soil acid/base relationship and change the color of the flowers. Blue, white, or pink. I would not spray WD-40 on my hydrangea plant, it would wilt to nothing.

Do you speak from experience on the WD-40 causing wilting? If so, what prompted the spritz of WD, were the flowers squeaking or perhaps rusting a bit?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1576 on: July 27, 2014, 10:22:20 AM »
Funny thing here is that while Ohio may be lax about the front plate and inspection stickers, the state is famous (infamous?) for issuing speeding tickets. Seven or eight over works well here in the northeast but most of us are ascairt to do more than about 2 MPH over in Ohio. Unless the whole thing is a gigantic and long- lasting urban legend, Ohio is notorious for low- to- no tolerance for any amount of speeding and amazingly expensive fines for same.

Traveling across the US in '11 and again in '12 (both ways), I went through about, oh, a gazillion highway construction areas. All of them were marked with dire warnings of the penalties for speeding, hitting a road worker (funny but I already thought that that would be bad? ??) etc. but only in Ohio did I ever see any LEOs with speed measuring equipment in any of those destruction....er, I mean construction zones.

Funny how things vary in different areas though. What is touchy in one area (easy boys!) is 'meh' in other places.

Brian

Police generated income through CS citations is not as important in other areas of the country.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1577 on: July 27, 2014, 10:31:39 AM »
Snip...

Traveling across the US in '11 and again in '12 (both ways), I went through about, oh, a gazillion highway construction areas, and this was just Illinois! All of them were marked with dire warnings of the penalties for speeding, hitting a road worker (funny but I already thought that that would be bad? ??) etc. but only in Ohio did I ever see any LEOs with speed measuring equipment in any of those destruction....er, I mean construction zones.

Brian

FIFY

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1578 on: July 27, 2014, 11:42:35 AM »
However, I do understand the WD40 is good for your knees.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #1579 on: July 27, 2014, 11:59:17 AM »
Speeding through a construction zone and getting a citation for it is a bit different than not having a front license plate. But 2 mph over borders on CS, but if you talked to anybody that works on has seen what goes on in a construction zone, maybe 2mph isn't so CS. My beef is in Ohio, the penalties are still in effect even if there is no work going on in a marked zone.