Author Topic: Potential Used KIPASS ECU ?  (Read 1738 times)

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
Potential Used KIPASS ECU ?
« on: February 08, 2018, 09:41:58 PM »
I have a KIPASS ECU from my '08 that is in the shop for repair.  An internal protective diode and voltage regulator failed due to a voltage transient when the main battery failed.  I have already bought and installed a new, very costly, ECU so I do not intend to use the repaired one nor will I keep it for a spare.  I will consider selling it to someone who needs one.  The repaired ECU will have 2 functional RFID fobs but I don't have the registration numbers.  I don't think the registration numbers will be an issue since the fobs are already registered to the ECU.  All that is required, I think, is hooking the bike up to KDS and registering the repaired ECU with the bike.  Then again I may be absolutely wrong which is why I posted.  I would have reservations about purchasing a refurbished/repaired electronic device myself so I appreciate if anyone out there would be absolutely against it.

I haven't got the ECU back yet and I don't know what the final repair fee will be.  The company doing the work (PSI Repair Services) estimates a cost at $400 and that's what I would sell it for.  I'm not looking for profit.  I can provide a copy of my receipt just to keep it kosher.  The repaired ECU will not come with any warranty from PSI so I cannot offer one.  I will accept it back and refund the money within 30 days if that makes anyone feel a little better.

If I should have posted this in the For Sale section I apologize.   I suspect the Moderator will yank it if that is the case.  I thought this thread might expand a little so I put it in the General section.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 03:10:57 PM by Tree »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Potential Used KIPASS ECU ?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 04:55:04 AM »
We'll leave it here for now..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Tree

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 03:14:51 PM »
We'll leave it here for now..

OK.

If anyone out there hasn't seen this thread you may want to check it out.  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=22892.0 

Please don't cry.

Offline Tree

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 04:53:38 PM »
The repaired ECU has been returned.  I will post in the For Sale section.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 05:03:21 PM »
The repaired ECU has been returned.  I will post in the For Sale section.

how about installing it, and firing up the bike, and riding the bike, to see if it works?
might make it a bit easier on those people that may be interested in it... as if it doesn't work, they don't have to deal with the company that supposedly repaired it, right from the get go...

:_shudder_Emoticon

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Tree

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 05:22:28 PM »
how about installing it, and firing up the bike, and riding the bike, to see if it works?
might make it a bit easier on those people that may be interested in it... as if it doesn't work, they don't have to deal with the company that supposedly repaired it, right from the get go...

:_shudder_Emoticon

I would do that very thing except I don't have KDS as part of my tool box.  Whoever decides to buy it won't have to deal with the repair company if there is a problem.  Just send it back to me and they get their $ back.  It's in the For Sale section now.

I am assuming that I cannot install it into the bike and operate it without setting the bike up with KDS first.  If there is a way to validate the ECU without KDS I would appreciate that info.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 02:21:24 PM »
I would do that very thing except I don't have KDS as part of my tool box.  Whoever decides to buy it won't have to deal with the repair company if there is a problem.  Just send it back to me and they get their $ back.  It's in the For Sale section now.

I am assuming that I cannot install it into the bike and operate it without setting the bike up with KDS first.  If there is a way to validate the ECU without KDS I would appreciate that info.

I'm not quite sure if you are correct, as a matter of fact, I think the authentication procedure may have you a bit confused... the defective KiPass ECU that was repaired, and the FOBS that were originally with it, are all contained within that ECU's memory. Also, the tire pressure monitors on the bike, are also stored in that KP ECU. None of which can be over written, they are permanent, Now the other ECU, the DFI ECU, still on the bike, has already been tied to the KP ECU, and it's (the KP ECU) authentication codes are still stored in your original DFI ECU.
During your replacement, the technicians had to "authenticate" the NEW KP ECU to the DFI unit on the bike, using the KDS, but that is because it's data and code was "new"... I am almost certain the original KP ECU data, and authentication codes, are still active in the original DFI unit, and that ECU will recognize the original KP unit's link....
Mind you, the repaired unit will NOT recognize the new FOBS, but as the original ones are still in the KP you had repaired, the original Fobs should fully function the system, without issue. I would seriously try this out, as all of the new things you are saying don't work, after having someone install your replacement KP ECU, were already controlled by the original KP ECU...

Mind you, if you install the original KP ECU, and attempt to start the bike with the original FOBS, it may be necessary to "jog" the systems memory by using one of those old FOBS in the "passive" mode, to turn the bike ignition on and then off...
Once that is completed, it should function just like it always did, without all the errors and b/s non functioning things you are reporting as "new non function" problems evidently not cured by the new ECU, and the programming done by who ever did the programming with the KDS.

it won't cost you ANYTHING to try this, and if it cures the new issues, well, you can thank me. If it doesn't, at least you can report back.

best of luck.

Offline Tree

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 06:58:43 PM »
I hear what you are saying and I agree.  However, the DFI ECU was also replaced as part of this repair.  (That lil' tidbit of info might have gotten lost in this ginormous post)  The new/used DFI ECU has been "seen" by the new KIPASS ECU but not by the original/repaired KIPASS ECU.  If I wanted to install the original/repaired KIPASS ECU I would have to use KDS to authenticate again.  Yes?

I'm not quite sure if you are correct, as a matter of fact, I think the authentication procedure may have you a bit confused... the defective KiPass ECU that was repaired, and the FOBS that were originally with it, are all contained within that ECU's memory. Also, the tire pressure monitors on the bike, are also stored in that KP ECU. None of which can be over written, they are permanent, Now the other ECU, the DFI ECU, still on the bike, has already been tied to the KP ECU, and it's (the KP ECU) authentication codes are still stored in your original DFI ECU.
During your replacement, the technicians had to "authenticate" the NEW KP ECU to the DFI unit on the bike, using the KDS, but that is because it's data and code was "new"... I am almost certain the original KP ECU data, and authentication codes, are still active in the original DFI unit, and that ECU will recognize the original KP unit's link....
Mind you, the repaired unit will NOT recognize the new FOBS, but as the original ones are still in the KP you had repaired, the original Fobs should fully function the system, without issue. I would seriously try this out, as all of the new things you are saying don't work, after having someone install your replacement KP ECU, were already controlled by the original KP ECU...

Mind you, if you install the original KP ECU, and attempt to start the bike with the original FOBS, it may be necessary to "jog" the systems memory by using one of those old FOBS in the "passive" mode, to turn the bike ignition on and then off...
Once that is completed, it should function just like it always did, without all the errors and b/s non functioning things you are reporting as "new non function" problems evidently not cured by the new ECU, and the programming done by who ever did the programming with the KDS.

it won't cost you ANYTHING to try this, and if it cures the new issues, well, you can thank me. If it doesn't, at least you can report back.

best of luck.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 02:25:32 PM »
I missed some of that
sorry.