Author Topic: Windshield Change  (Read 3396 times)

Offline vard

Windshield Change
« on: May 15, 2011, 03:12:18 PM »
I recently purchased a Cee Bailey windshield.  I went for the 25.5 inch model which was recommended by the seller.  It is a lot of windshield but then I bought it to get rid of the turbulence.  Anyway, for my question.  When changing windshields, one of the inserts on the fairing fell inside and now there is nothing to hold the screw.  Is it necessary to remove all fairings and hope to find the insert or is it possible to replace ir from the outside of the fairing?

Thanks for any comments.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Windshield Change
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 04:14:51 PM »
Sometimes shaking the bike on the center stand will help the little bugger find its way down; not always but most parts find their way down to the lower belly pan. Remove it look and repeat the shaking, then try removing the side cowling and inserts; chances are good that you will find your wayward part without removing the upper cowling. You can also just use a replacement rubber well nut as found at the local Ace Hardware Store; I replaced all of mine years ago with well nuts from Mcmaster-Carr and even tapped out the brass pieces on the side bolts to use a slightly larger screw and rubber-backed flat washer like Murph sells in his kits so as to help prevent star cracking around the shield mounting holes.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline CRocker

• Arena
Re: Windshield Change
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 08:19:09 PM »
When I lost one I shook the bike...and shook the bike...and shook the bike...nothing!  After searching with a flashlight, I finally decided to remove all the fairing (from the bottom up, cuz I figured it would be like T Cro said...laying in the belly pan)...and found NOTHING!  I was pretty hot by this time, and, for some reason decided to start the bike...as soon as I started the bike...that well-nut came bouncing down onto the garage floor...go figure!  My mechanic friends tell me they just go get another one...
'02 C-10