Author Topic: Broken Speedometer Cable  (Read 7690 times)

Offline tfifield

Broken Speedometer Cable
« on: June 11, 2011, 12:46:45 PM »
The speedometer cable broke about 10 inches up from the gear on the wheel. Looks well greased. I tested to see if the gear on the wheel still works by lifting the front tire and spinning it with the broken piece stuck in. It's no problem to get another on eBay but I'm concerned the other end up in the instrument cluster might be ceased.

Has anyone had this happen to them before? Why would the cable break?
95 Concours

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
Re: Broken Speedometer Cable
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 12:49:44 PM »
It breaks because it is a cable, and it spins its little a$$ off for thousands of miles.
Easy fix, and go to a dealer close, a lot of them can be matched up with lots of bikes.
Watch your knuckles on the hook-up to the speedo also.
Ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 06:42:08 AM »
It's no problem to get another on eBay but I'm concerned the other end up in the instrument cluster might be ceased.

Has anyone had this happen to them before? Why would the cable break?

Murph has them for $18.75 including shipping.  New on Ebay is $30.  ($24 + $6 shipping was best I could find for new - and why would anyone purchase a used cable?)

Mine broke last year.  Somewhere in the neighborhood of 36k miles.  It happens.  They're cheap and easy to replace.  It's not likely that the speedometer seized up, just that the cable got fatigued and broke.  Don't know the year/mileage of your bike, but one thing to check is the routing of the cable.  It should NOT go through the chrome brake line guide on the fork.  It should only go through the plastic ring that snaps into the fender.  Putting it through the brake line guide adds a curve to it that causes more wear on the cable.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline MizzouMike

• Arena
  • How do you remove the rain magnet on this thing?
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 09:19:09 AM »
It should NOT go through the chrome brake line guide on the fork.  It should only go through the plastic ring that snaps into the fender.  Putting it through the brake line guide adds a curve to it that causes more wear on the cable.

That is good information, thanks

I replaced the OEM (I failed to tighten it to the back of the spedo at a previous maintenance, and it flopped out and I dragged it for a couple of miles before I noticed that this had happened, ground the ridges right off the end) with the Motion Pro from Murph's.   It seemed a little more subtantial than the OEM, I guess time will tell.
NEKansas  AMA#273766, COG#8862, IBA#44917
2000 Concours 2001 KLR, 2013 HD Ultra Classic

Offline tfifield

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 04:14:44 PM »
Great! thanks for the info. I'll probably pick one up off ebay.  My bike has 80K Km on it so I'd say it's done quite a lot of spinning over time :)

Cheers!
95 Concours

Offline bouts

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 09:22:44 PM »
My speedometer and odometers just stopped working this eveining, so I'm going to assume that a broken cable is the cause.  I've never done a speedo cable on this bike before, but have done cars and trucks.  Is it just a metal cable inside the casing that will slide or out?  What do you use to lube the new cable going in?

Offline Reid

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 06:06:52 AM »
When I had my 98 I just bought a new cable from Murph.  Not to hard to install and the cable is already lubed.  Someone on this forum showed me the trick of putting a little duct tape on the connection at the speedometer to keep if from vibrating loose.  Worked great till I sold the bike.
2008 C-14 (Silver Belle)
Russell Daylong seat
Cal-Sci windshield
S.Ga. AAD

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 07:05:03 AM »
My speedometer and odometers just stopped working this evening, so I'm going to assume that a broken cable is the cause.  I've never done a speedo cable on this bike before, but have done cars and trucks.  Is it just a metal cable inside the casing that will slide or out?  What do you use to lube the new cable going in?

Best to replace the entire cable assembly.  (cable and sleeve)  That way you know you have a clean installation.  No old grit inside the cable sleeve to chew up your new cable.

For $18.75 shipped from Murph, how can you go wrong?
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline bouts

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 12:37:26 PM »
Someone on this forum showed me the trick of putting a little duct tape on the connection at the speedometer to keep if from vibrating loose.

A timely bit of information!  I checked the cable this morning and that is exactly what happened on mine.  I tugged lightly on the cable from under the dash, and the coupling had come loose, and it fell right out!  So, tonight, it's time to skin the knuckles, swear, sweat and maybe even cry a bit and try to reconnect the cable to the speedo.  Any advice or tricks to make this easier?

Offline deuce72

• 98 Concours
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 06:08:31 PM »
Bringing this post back to life. Any ideas of making the speedo install easier? Fairings off?? My manual is no help on this one.

Also, anyone who parks their bike outside and utilizes the park lock for the handlebars beware. This is how I broke my cable. I will make sure my cable is routed properly.

Deuce
98 Concours

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 06:14:46 AM »
I don't recall exactly, it's been a looong time since I had to replace my C10 speedo/cable), but I believe with the windshield and base removed it wasn't a big deal.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 08:35:35 AM »
I think I did it by just removing the black upper fairing on the left side.
Might be easier to remove the tank as well.
But relatively EZ to do.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline skidmarkrva

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 12:47:56 PM »
I just replaced mine today, super easy. Remove the left inner fairing and you can access the back of the speedometer. I have pretty good sized hands and I was able to get it up in there.

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2018, 06:08:21 AM »
Buy 2 from Murph. About every 30K miles from my experience. Same with the front wheel bearings btw.
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10