Author Topic: Bearinged up Shifter by Murph  (Read 34636 times)

Offline misterd

Re: Bearinged up Shifter by Murph
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2012, 01:04:43 PM »
Okay...I'm confused....is this mod helpful in making shifting more precise or not?  After reading the follow-up comments I seem to get the impression that folks that have done this mod originally didn't have a shifting issue, which make me ponder the question, "Why do the mod?" 
If someone did have an issue with making shifts, then how did this mod make it better?  Did it affect all gear shifts up and down or what exactly was the benefit?
I guess I'm one of those that try to live by the KIS ideology (Keep it simple)....As a result, I only do mods if I feel there is a benefit or need....in other words, I'm for doing mods but only if they serve some practical purpose.  I'm not clear from some of the remarks that people had an issue in the first place with the shifter or what the issue specifically was.  I ask because I do miss an occassional shift between first and second if I'm really getting on it, but whether this mod would be helpful to me is unclear?   Does this mod result in a shorter throw of the lever?  Does it create a longer throw?  Does it make the pressure of the lever less or more sensitive to your shoe/boot?  Or is this one of those mods that is dealing with a person's physical characteristics (i.e. large feet or small feet) compared to bar extenders/risers for long or short arms?
Sorry for being so obtuse...
i'm with you, from what i read this mod has done nothing. i would rather be riding the bike rather than taking it apart and putting it back together for no useful purpose, but thats just me.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 04:51:04 PM »
I leaned something useful from doing this mod. At first the mod seemed to do nothing, the bike shifted great same as it ever was. Then after about 20 miles my shifting started getting notchy It was as if I was using 3000 mile old Rotella (or even brand new Amsoil). So I dumped the Rotella and put in some Motul ZX9000 triple synth and some zink additive but there was no improvemnet in the notchiness. In fact it got progessively worse until the tranny got totally ticked off and would not downshift at all. Desparate, I did the only thing I could-upshifted. After doing that a few times I was in 6th gear. All was well till I got to the end of the road I was on and a stop sign. Being law abiding an all I stopped. The bike would not accelerate very well from a stop in 6th gear and I stalled it! Fortunately I was 90 miles from nowhere with no other humans in sight, only birdies to observe this emabarrsing moment. I pushed the C14 to the shoulder and called my wife to come get me. She said "go to hell, call one of your good time riding buddies". But they were all doing a track day so I got down and checked out the shifter. I noticed the lock nut was lose and that the shift rode had backed out and was way out of adjustment. I had failed to notice this while riding, being preoccupied by the notchiness. I had tried to tighten my lock nut with only one wrench, holding the other with my fingers. I have learned that this require TWO wrenches. Eventually a friendly stranger came along and loaned me a second wrench and I was soon on my way, happy and wiser.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2012, 03:04:52 AM »
Thanks for the update.  It pays to lock up your nuts.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2012, 04:52:41 AM »
Thanks for the update.  It pays to lock up your nuts.

Not too tight though...

Don't wanna strip em out!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 08:10:06 AM »
i'm with you, from what i read this mod has done nothing. i would rather be riding the bike rather than taking it apart and putting it back together for no useful purpose, but thats just me.

IMHO, a set of bearings used in an application in which there is rotation involved would almost always be a better choice than a metal sleeve. It just seems logical ......doesnt it? And for the super price that Murph sells this for, how can you go wrong. Your bike will come to a screaching halt with rubber brake lines or steel braided lines, but if they were only $20 ..... I would still upgrade to the braided ..... thats just me.
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline Phil

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2014, 12:39:57 PM »
Has anyone broken down the parts that make up the Murphs Bearing Upshifter?  I’d like to make my own, but use all stainless parts. I don’t really want to take my bike out of service to order all the parts.  I made a similar kit for my BMW K1200 GT.  This kit from Murph’s was said to have come from one of these forums online. 
Phil, aka Boston Bagger
===============
2010 Concours 14, 2008 BMW K1200GT, 2007 BMW K1200GT, 2004 BMW R1150RT, 2001 Harley ElectraGlide STD., 1999 Honda Shadow 750 ACE, 1971 Yamaha 360 Enduro RT-1,  1968 Yamaha 125 / 175 Enduro AT-1, 1963 Honda 250 Scrambler

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2014, 02:47:02 PM »
Has anyone broken down the parts that make up the Murphs Bearing Upshifter?  I’d like to make my own, but use all stainless parts. I don’t really want to take my bike out of service to order all the parts.  I made a similar kit for my BMW K1200 GT.  This kit from Murph’s was said to have come from one of these forums online.
I think Mr. Murphy has done exactly that and for the paltry sum of $21 US you can have all the parts in hand and swap whatever you can find for stainless.

Here you go...http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=130_133&products_id=463

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2014, 04:14:56 PM »
Can't get much cheaper than that, although I really couldn't tell the difference.  I'm an insensitive sod.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2014, 04:56:24 AM »
Can't get much cheaper than that, although I really couldn't tell the difference.  I'm an insensitive sod.

I've heard that about you...

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2014, 01:51:15 AM »

...and shifty too...

2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2014, 07:51:09 AM »
IMHO, a set of bearings used in an application in which there is rotation involved would almost always be a better choice than a metal sleeve. It just seems logical ......doesnt it?

Rotation, probably.  Back and forth toggling, maybe not.  Are there seals on these bearings?  Hard to tell from the pictures.  If not, what keeps them from getting full of road grime and turning into bushings or worse?

They only problem I have shifting is when I don't pull the clutch lever all the way to the bar, especially when the bike is cold.  It seems like it needs every bit of clutch pull to disengage the clutch completely.  Yes, I've replaced the fluid and bled the system in the process.

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2016, 01:42:38 AM »
Will someone please be so kind as to giving me the bearing size or number? I need to change to a bearing, as the bush is worn out.

Thanks in advance.
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2016, 06:17:33 AM »
Will someone please be so kind as to giving me the bearing size or number? I need to change to a bearing, as the bush is worn out.

Thanks in advance.

And nobody likes a worn out bush.  :rotflmao:    :yikes:
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2016, 06:51:22 AM »
 :rotflmao:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2016, 07:35:38 AM »
And nobody likes a worn out bush.  :rotflmao:    :yikes:

I beg to differ! A worn out bush is better than no bush at all...

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2016, 10:32:21 AM »

Truth

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2016, 10:45:11 AM »

Thanks in advance.
In advance as well, you're welcome.

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=48684.msg390771#msg390771

Now on to the important stuff:

OH, let me tell you, there have been times when I wish I had gone with no bush at all, instead of the shrubbery that I did go with.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2016, 11:34:50 AM »
 :goodpost:
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2016, 12:41:20 PM »

Now on to the important stuff:

OH, let me tell you, there have been times when I wish I had gone with no bush at all, instead of the shrubbery that I did go with.

while the bearings in your link may work as replacements, I felt the need to make a comment in that particular post.... sorry, but I had to.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2016, 11:08:03 PM »

Thank you kindly FM.

Your comment on the post is duly noted MOB.

Found them through my local bearing supplier, at just over $10 for 5. On order, so will get them in the week. Now I can get this sorted.... :chugbeer:

I'm considering using only 3x bearings, with a small spacers ( 4mm thick X (by) the size of the inner race of the bearing) between the bearings, to prevent the bearings from effectively becoming a "bush" (As MOB said in his post).

:feedback:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 02:31:38 AM by Hooligan »
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14