Author Topic: what engine can I use?  (Read 12576 times)

Offline jacksdad

what engine can I use?
« on: December 30, 2016, 05:46:51 PM »
Hi, my UK A9 GTR1000 has developed a big problem! Its done 86K miles and is getting very noisy, when cold it rattles like hell but this soon settle down and it runs really well...but!
The outer RH engine casting next to the outer exhaust stud has cracked. Probably been over-tightened at some point and has driven the stud into the head, making a hairline crack. I noticed a slight oil leak when I bought the bike earlier this year, but assumed it was the cover gasket leaking, sadly not!  :(
I'm now considering my options, as its a bit noisy and now leaking oil, what engine can I use to replace mine? Do the chain driven engines fit, is it possible to swap over the final drive parts/engine cases?
Or, what cylinder heads could I use, I don't really want to make a full blown ZX10 type of high revving motor, saying that I've already got the higher power carb tops and Neta exhaust.
I'm on a tight budget due to being out of work with health issues, I need my bike back on the road  :'(
Thanks in advance, all ideas greatfully welcome  :)

Offline connie_rider

Re: what engine can I use?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 10:13:59 AM »
Others can chime in, but I think that most of the chain driven engines do not share the same frame/head mounts.
Plus converting the frame from drive shaft to chain would be added expense of components.
So the best engine to buy is another Concours.

I know their are fewer of them in Eu than the USA, but still the best choice.
NOTE: Any year Concours engine will fit your bike.

Try contacting members of the GTR or GCE.
Boomer is in your area (I think). He may know where to get an engine.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline jacksdad

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 01:29:22 PM »
I want a replacement engine, I can't find another shaft drive unit. I was asking if its possible to convert a chain drive engine to shaft?
Surely the crank cases etc are the same, I'm looking at the possibility of removing the final drives and swapping them round. Depends on how the shaft drive is connected to the gearbox, I'm thinking that Kawasaki wouldn't of built a totally new engine just to make the final drive shaft and not chain. I've no intention of making a chain driven GTR!

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 02:18:05 PM »
The 86 / 87 ZX1000R (usa) motors (long block) are the same except for the cams.  You would need to use your carbs and carb to block boots, and your bevel drive and then I believe it would then be a bolt in swap.

If you want the same lower RPM performance, you could put your cams in and then it would be just like your current engine.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline jacksdad

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 04:37:40 PM »
Hi turbojoe, thanks for your reply!
I can get a ZX1000R motor, but its chain drive, like most engines that are the same range.  I would fit a complete motor if needed, there's not a massive amount of difference between them in the real world.
I've not got any experience in converting a chain drive ZX motor to shaft drive, do you know if its a major job? Does the shaft drive box just fit onto the same chain drive output shaft? I would like to think so!
Thanks again, Happy New Year to you all,
Mike

Offline jacksdad

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 02:23:13 PM »
Is the ZL1000 Eliminator the same motor as the C10? Looks identical and I'd have thought it would be the downtuned version?

Offline vinny

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 09:13:57 AM »
Eliminator engine is almost identical to a GTR1000 engine. Carbs are different as are camshafts and final drive ratio in bevel drive is different.
You can convert any of the GPZ900 / GPZ1000 or ZZR1100 or ZRX1100 chain dive motors to shaft drive using your gearbox components.
All depends on your budget and time / skill set?

Offline jacksdad

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 11:00:01 AM »
Thanks again:
I can complete any amount of mechanical work: not being clever but been building engines for over 30 years!
I think I'll look for a ZX or similar lump, I was sort of sure the final drives would swap, simply because Kawasaki wouldn't make an entirely new set of engine cases for a shaft drive of limited numbers!  ;D
People say I will lose midrange, but in the real world, any 1000cc zed will have all the midrange I could use, top end speed isn't a big point but a little better acceleration would keep me smiling  :thumbs:

Offline jacksdad

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 11:37:48 AM »
Just noticed something!
I can buy a 1988 ZX10 motor at a great price, but it has an external oil pipe from the lower front case, up to the RH side of the head, next to the camshafts. I can't see this being a problem, but its just making me worry a bit...also, I would swear that the inlet cast stubs are at a sharper angle than on mine, I'm only looking at pictures of the ZX motor so could just be me  :-[
The ZX motor also sits in a full frame, but the GTR as you know hangs from the frame as a stressed member...bit like me right now! :P

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 11:59:25 AM »
Technically with enough imagination, money and skill you can use (within reason) any engine you want!  8)

Offline jacksdad

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 01:51:55 PM »
Thanks for your input Rhino  :rotflmao:
Can you advise how I tie the shaft drive assembly to the shown donor engines? I really like the radial motor  :P

Offline jacksdad

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 01:54:32 PM »
Saying that, the Lambo running throttle bodies must sound amazing!
These builders are something else, wish I could build motors like they have  :)

Offline vinny

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 02:04:50 PM »
Where in the UK are you?
I have spare barrels and pistons that you can have if you want them?

Offline vinny

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 02:38:06 PM »

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2017, 04:08:28 PM »
Jacksdad, look closely at the photo's Vinny sent.
Good photo's!
At the front of the head, {just below the valve cover} you will see the Frame mounts.

I do NOT think the ZX-1000 engine has these frame mounts.
That is why I said, the ZX-1000 motor is NOT an easy fit for your Connie.
You must replace your engine with another that has these frame mounts.

Ted

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2017, 04:40:04 PM »
Just found a whole motor on Ebay for £65 !
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-Gt-Zg1000-Engine-Trike-/152351838341?hash=item2378e09085:g:rYMAAOSwnNBXX9yT

that's an no brainer for the price... man, jump on it...
all ya need is the head,,,, and then you can send me the valve cover..... hint, hint, 8)

seriously, even if you needed to do a valve job on it, (regrind, and new guide seals) it's worth it.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline jacksdad

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2017, 04:42:02 PM »
Hi Ted, thats exactly what I'm concerned about: I said in my post above that the engines are fitted in different ways!
You have got it spot on...the alloy frame engines are indeed different in that they are carried within the frame, not suspended from it, and the mountings are different.

Offline jacksdad

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2017, 04:44:25 PM »
Ive contacted the seller to see if they will pallet up the motor for me to get collected, its a 600 mile round trip for me to collect, would cost more than the engine is worth.

Offline jacksdad

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2017, 04:58:38 PM »
GPZ1000RX and ZX10 have got the extra upper engine mountings on the front of the head, ZZR haven't, seems that the early full frame bikes just didn't use the mountings, or they were used for fairing mounting points. So an engine swap is still an option, but not as easy as at first suggested!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2017, 04:59:25 PM »
What's it worth if you need one and don't have one?

Ive contacted the seller to see if they will pallet up the motor for me to get collected, its a 600 mile round trip for me to collect, would cost more than the engine is worth.