Author Topic: What is the fairing extender called?  (Read 4535 times)

Offline kzz1king

What is the fairing extender called?
« on: September 29, 2011, 04:11:04 PM »
I have an 86 that has black extenders on both sides of the fairing. They appear to make the fairing a bit wider. I am thinking of painting them up and putting them on my 01. What are they called? Were they an add on or just came on some years?
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Silverado

Re: What is the fairing extender called?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 04:24:11 PM »
Sounds like you are describing fairing extenders....if so, that's what they are.  I've been told that they are OEM on the European models and add-on for the US.  I also had them on my 86....can't remember if they were OEM or if they were an add-on by the dealer.   But I loved them!!  They are currently on my farkle list.

Here's a picture from Murphs Kits:    http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1_91&osCsid=fad25f32dd319bc7df7580753f3348ea

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 04:25:28 PM »
You answered half your question. They are "fairing extenders" I believe that They came stock on Uropean bikes but not 100% sure.
Edit: damn not fast enough
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 07:17:20 PM »
I really like mine in our cool ND weather and plan on putting them on my 01. Any idea on what to paint them with? Some of the bedliner stuff?
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 06:37:47 AM »
Why would you paint them?  If they are just looking faded, use the Krylon Fusion matte black (available at Walmart).  If you are going for a color, use the Fusion primer first.  Bedliner will stick to them but then so will bugs and dirt better.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline RiderRich

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 07:10:26 AM »
The Fairing Extenders came standard on the European Concours, the GTR, rather than the "wings" the US models received.  Word has it that they are hot in the warmer months, but they are great in the cold. Or you could swap them out between the heat and cold. But painting them to match the fairing might look nice. But so would repainting them black. It would be up to you. For others who may have an interest in these. You can get them from the Murph's. They have them on the web site.

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_91&products_id=192

2005 Concours

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 07:51:46 AM »
Word has it that they are hot in the warmer months, but they are great in the cold. Or you could swap them out between the heat and cold.

I swap mine out every spring and fall.  Only take a few minutes and 4 screws per side.  They don't look like they're all that big, but the way they flare, they move the air out about 4"+ on each side.  Makes a HUGE difference when the weather turns cold.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 02:08:21 PM »
By paint I meant bring a little shine back. They are 25 years old! I will try swapping back and fourth. I have ridden with mine on all the time for the last 6 years.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 02:16:56 PM »
Clean then very well to remove all oil and waxes (basically disinfect them), then give them a light coat or two of the Krylon Fusion matte black.  They'll look great.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 07:35:12 PM »
Thanks RFH!!
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline goatmar

• Go where God wants you.
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 08:40:03 PM »
I really like mine in our cool ND weather and plan on putting them on my 01. Any idea on what to paint them with? Some of the bedliner stuff?

Bed liner............ now you sound like Steve Pronto..... he lineX's everything..........
Dave Muzzey
COG#7957
'01 Connie "BLUE"

Offline DannyL

• PJF4x4
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 10:21:17 PM »
Makes a HUGE difference when the weather turns cold.

I'll confirm this! This morning my ride to work was grey and 31F and my legs had a lot more protection than without. I installed them a week ago so it's easy to see the difference. Tonight it was 40 and RAINING and I also noticed by keeping the ball of my foot on the peg my feet were out of the element!

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 06:58:33 AM »
I'll confirm this! This morning my ride to work was grey and 31F and my legs had a lot more protection than without. I installed them a week ago so it's easy to see the difference. Tonight it was 40 and RAINING and I also noticed by keeping the ball of my foot on the peg my feet were out of the element!

I'll be putting mine on today.  After I get my new rear tire reinstalled.  Still plenty of riding time here in the NorthEast.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline DannyL

• PJF4x4
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 07:23:08 AM »
I'll be putting mine on today.  After I get my new rear tire reinstalled.  Still plenty of riding time here in the NorthEast.
I'm not sure "plenty" is the right word but there is some!