Author Topic: Thinking about trading off the Connie...  (Read 46582 times)

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
Re: Thinking about trading off the Connie...
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2015, 08:35:05 AM »
Or is she so toxic that her clothes are disintegratin? 
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2015, 11:22:52 AM »
You guys are hilarious.  Spoke with a DL1000 owner this PM, and we agreed that all motorcycle are fun to ride.  Limiting oneself with motorcycles is like dating only blondes.  LOTS TO BE SAID FOR BRUNETTES AND REDHEADS...

I agree. I've ridden both many times.
Blondes, not so much.  8)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline tomp

« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2015, 03:21:44 PM »
I've banned members for less...and you did it TWICE!
You loved it or you would have deleted it.  It is rather large.  Not sure it would properly fit on the pillion seat of our 14's. 
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2015, 04:07:30 PM »
Actually I'm thinking about moving the entire thread, but that's really up to Max now.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2015, 04:07:42 PM »
You loved it or you would have deleted it.  It is rather large.  Not sure it would properly fit on the pillion seat of our 14's. 

Or the seat of a Kenworth.  ::)
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2015, 04:31:04 PM »
Actually I'm thinking about moving the entire thread, but that's really up to Max now.

I was debating a move yesterday to "It's not a Concours" but was waiting to see which direction it was going :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline texrider

« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2015, 05:08:19 PM »
I'm gonna disregard all the junk in the trunk, and say I'm in the tank for either a CB1100 or a Vstrom1000.  ;D
2014 Valkyrie

Offline tomp

« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2015, 05:45:52 PM »
I'm gonna disregard all the junk in the trunk, and say I'm in the tank for either a CB1100 or a Vstrom1000.  ;D
The DL1000 VStrom gets my support vote.  Not overly aggressive, like a Multistrada, but able to take you from coast to coast in adventure comfort. The 1100 is really an around town bike, but I'm sure lots of owners use them for much more. Would require trial and error to get the wind screen right, and correct bags and trunk, to make it a traveling rig, with usefulness anywhere close to C14,

How's this for getting back on track, Max and Jim? 

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2015, 06:12:09 PM »

Either one of those is going to be culture shock after the C14. Kind of like me going from an Electra Glide to a C14. I dig the retro look of the CB though.

Offline texrider

« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2015, 05:49:28 PM »
Either one of those is going to be culture shock after the C14. Kind of like me going from an Electra Glide to a C14. I dig the retro look of the CB though.

Very true. I'm quite spoiled with my C14 and don't intend to trade it off for peanuts, even for the Aprilia Caponord I've been eyeing....
2014 Valkyrie

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2015, 05:50:57 PM »
Tall adventure steeds may get tiresome. What about a fun standard like the CB1100? You could move out of the cruiser and Guzzi.

I did a few test rides on the cb1100.  It was typical Honda precision with no character.  Didn't feel like riding a motorcycle.  I chose the Moto Guzzi over the Honda.  Hondas in general bore me.

Why would the SUV of motorcycles get tiresome?  Great visibility.  Plush suspension.  Amazing cornering clearance.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2015, 05:57:58 PM »

Wait a minute now.  How about just stripping the divergence from the original thread.  I don't want my thread going to the cesspool.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2015, 06:05:19 PM »
I've been riding the concours these past two days around Tennessee and Kentucky.  It really is a great bike and would be hard to part with.  A cold front came through with heavy winds and the Connie is barely phased by them.  There are a lot of great roads around here.  I will post up a ride report when I get home.
My Concours Travels:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2015, 07:37:48 AM »
Wait a minute now.  How about just stripping the divergence from the original thread.  I don't want my thread going to the cesspool.

I wouldn't call "It's not a Concours -other Bikes" a cesspool!  :)  Besides, it had a long run in the other forum.  The main problem would be trying to determine where the divergence is.  Plus, I have to say, the mod tools for moving select postings from one place to another are very unfriendly in SMF (much worse than others I am used to).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2015, 08:29:38 AM »
Max, I don't know if I've made any unrelated comments in this thread but feel free to spend your time to reread the entire five pages and delete them if you find them, including this one.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2015, 07:14:50 AM »
I wouldn't call "It's not a Concours -other Bikes" a cesspool!  :)  Besides, it had a long run in the other forum.  The main problem would be trying to determine where the divergence is.  Plus, I have to say, the mod tools for moving select postings from one place to another are very unfriendly in SMF (much worse than others I am used to).

Thought you were talking the other area where the Kardashian's belong.  ;)
My Concours Travels:

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2015, 07:41:10 AM »
Been causing myself some trama by considering trading my 2014 for a 2013 ZX14R. I went for a bit of a ride yesterday and came to a decision, that I'm good with what I have ::)  .
By keeping the Concours I don't have to spend any $$ on bags, taller windshield, heated grips. Helibars, two or three rear tyres( per season) or triple on insurance.
Something that helped was one of our secondary highways in the foothills. I came up behind 6 riders on sport bikes and within 1.5km I had work past all of them.  8)  I know how I ride this bike and it scares me to think how I'd ride the 14R, I'd end up in jail on in a box.
On a different note, I've put 11000km on these PR4GTs and it's time to replace the rear. I'm at the wear bars on the rear and the front is still holding up. I'll replace the pair though. They still hold the road like they're new. Have to play with the suspension set up a bit cause I still have a wallow in the big sweapers at anything above 4800 in sixth.

:chugbeer: :finger_fing11:

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2015, 08:30:38 AM »
Rubberdown, I agree that that trade does not make sense unless you like the ergos on the ZX14 the way it is.

I am going to research the BMW 800 ST.  Look Acosta town and insure.
My Concours Travels:

Offline tomp

« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2015, 02:10:36 PM »
http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/05/23/bmw-f800st-best-used-bikes/

Cycleworld thinks they are a good S/T mount.  I had customers who complained about engine vibes at highway+ speeds, that manifested themselves in the bars and pegs.  The GT is an updated version of the ST.  Ergos similar to the C14, but at a much lower weight.  Kind of like the Versys or Ninja 650R, but with half again as much power

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2015, 06:12:37 AM »
http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/05/23/bmw-f800st-best-used-bikes/

Cycleworld thinks they are a good S/T mount.  I had customers who complained about engine vibes at highway+ speeds, that manifested themselves in the bars and pegs.  The GT is an updated version of the ST.  Ergos similar to the C14, but at a much lower weight.  Kind of like the Versys or Ninja 650R, but with half again as much power

I just looked at what a comparably equipped F800GT would cost.  DAMN!  The Concours is a Bargain!  It would have to truly get 20 mpg more and insurance would have to be half the Concours to even think about a change.
My Concours Travels: