Author Topic: Rear Tire  (Read 6359 times)

Offline timsatx

• Arena
Rear Tire
« on: April 08, 2015, 04:49:45 PM »
Ok, so my Azaro got a hole in it and I have done everything I can to plug it up. No dice. So it looks like I have to buy me a new tire. Without necessarily buying a cheap tire I would like to find a decent tire at a low price. Any ideas on tires and where to buy them?

What sucks is this tire doesn't have many miles on it. It almost looks new.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Rear Tire
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 05:01:15 PM »
No joy patching from the inside?

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 05:06:34 PM »
Haven't tried patching.

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 05:37:01 PM »
I thought all Avons had road hazard sort of from the factory.  Maybe I'm wrong as they've always priced their tires out of my league.  Just thought that was something I'd read somewhere.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 06:30:06 PM »
Their warranty is for materials and workmanship, not for punctured tire.

Offline Jim __

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 05:16:39 AM »
If you have to replace it, you might want to consider the Shinko 777.  Stock size, <$90 at several online stores with shipping included, and mounts and balances easily.  I'm on track for over 10K miles from mine after only getting 6K (and it was bald) out of my rear Bridgestone BT45.  And, I think it sticks/handles as well as the BT45 even when leaned to extremes.  Couple that with a PR3 up front, and you've got a very confidence inspiring combination.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 06:50:25 AM »
We have rain in the forecast for the next few days. I think I will explore one other option before actually buying a tire. Like I said, it is pretty much new, but the Shinko is on my short list. I did have a Shinko before and it developed a bubble. I ended up getting them to cover replacement. I also think they discontinued those tires.

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 07:50:36 PM »
So when you get your replacement, keep the punctured tire and get a mushroom plug fitted to it at a car tire shop. Then you can mount it back on when the replacement tire wears out.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 08:51:28 PM »
Is the mushroom plug done at a tire shop different than the Stop & Go plugger?

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 08:00:39 AM »
Is the mushroom plug done at a tire shop different than the Stop & Go plugger?

Yes - big difference.  A car tire plug is usually about an inch or two across and is pulled in and glued in (or heated) from the inside.  These will usually work for the life of the tire and will require a balancing after they are installed.  The S&G plugs are just a mushroom shape and stay in by compression.  There has been a wide range of discussions about those and most people don't like them.  They sound like a good idea when you read about them.  I don't like them.  I have always used the string kits (red) with a little glue to help it slide in.  If it requires more than two strings then it gets replaced as soon as possible because that is getting to be a pretty big hole.  Sometimes a traditional patch/plug can fix this.  Never had any issues other than a few slow leaks over the years.

Disclaimer:  If you aren't experienced in your own tire repairs - do not attempt.  Only repair the tread area (up to about 1" from the edge).  Never repair a sidewall hole unless it is to get you home.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 08:27:43 AM »
Ahh, I see said the blind man to the deaf man. I did a little searching and came up with this:

http://www.smithtoolsupply.com/Tire-Wheel-Service/Tire-Repair/WW-Q6.html
http://www.smithtoolsupply.com/Tire-Wheel-Service/Bead-Lubricants-Sealers/WW-SV8.html

Price is reasonable too. The S&G may be good for temporary but this should fix it good. Although I should say that this is the first time my string types didn't work.

Offline Fuller56

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 05:33:49 AM »
Check with an AVON dealer about the road hazard warranty.  A few years ago I had a tire replaced by AVON for a puncture.  Worth checking on at least.  My most recent choice of rear tires has been the Shinko Journey SE890.  I have been getting over 10k miles with quite a bit of 2 up riding.  The last came from Motorcycle Superstore via Amazon for less than $110 with free shipping.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 07:31:44 PM »
Ok, I am done working on this tire. It is still leaking. I am just going to replace it. I think I am going to get the shinko 777hd.

Offline Thud300

• COG# 12068
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 01:07:54 PM »
Agree on the Shinko 777. Great tire for me for a low price, found it cheapest at Chapparral Motorsports.
1998 Kawasaki Concours "Connimus Prime"
1989 Kawasaki 454 LTD "Merlin"
Workin' to ride, so I'm ridin' to work!
It's a great day for motorcycles!

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 07:19:28 AM »
Tire should be delivered today. Hopefully I don't have a problem like I did with my last Shinko with tread separation.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2015, 12:02:47 PM »
Wouldn't you know it. I plan on getting the tire on on Saturday. So I look at the forecast this morning and so far they have rain in the forecast all next week. Well hopefully I can get it done Sat. and then on Sun. drive out to the country to visit my mom.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2015, 06:23:48 AM »
Now they have rain in the forecast all next week too. If that ain't the drizzlin s***s. I'll just have to keep it on the charger.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2015, 07:04:53 AM »
it says light rain. What's the problem?

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2015, 07:26:19 AM »
Homey don't play the rain game. Our streets get pretty dang slick and I have a bunch of turns, hills (bridges specifically) and stop and go on my short drive to work. Lately even though there isn't much chance of rain the streets are always wet in the morning.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2015, 08:15:41 AM »
I thought San Antonio was flat as a brick.