Author Topic: MPG on trip  (Read 7373 times)

valkmc

MPG on trip
« on: August 04, 2011, 07:36:44 AM »
I kept track of my gas purchases from Ocala Fl to Alaska and back to Big Spring Tx. After my mishap in Tx I gave up but thought some of you maybe interested in what I found. Highest MPG was 51.6 on interstate leaving Fl and Ga (ridden this part of country many times so just trying to put it behind me). I ride around 70-80 on the interstate but go as high as 90. I got 50.2 MPG the first tank after I left Roswell NM also. Two lane flat straight rode with some towns.

Worst MPG was 36.8 coming over the mountains headed into Skagway Alaska, it was 35 degrees and I saw snow flakes, Very twisty and huge elevation changes. I must say it was one of the most enjoyable parts of the ride. The other thing was the last place I got gas before heading up had only 87 octane. I waited until the last stop to ensure I had enough gas to complete and was dismayed when I found they only had 87. I must say this happened three times on the Alaskan highway and two were on consecutive fill ups. The bike preformed the same with 87 and the MPG was only much lower on this tank not the other two. I also pulled into a station on 60 east in the mountains coming out of AZ going into NM (great ride) and the station only had 86 octane so I filled her up, again  saw no difference in performance including pinging.       

I did not carry gas and never came close to needing it. I did have a low fuel light warning a couple of times, but it was when I was heading into a metro area where I was not worried about gas or I could have stopped earlier. I also did not ride to the Arctic Circle, really was not interested in it, but the weather (rained everyday I was in Alaska) made up my mind about not riding it.     

Both side bags filled to capacity, a large sears top case filled to capacity, and a equipment bag with a sleeping bag, two man tent, single air mattress, air pump, and air plane pillow on the back seat. A small tank bag type bag on top of that with maps, chargers rain gear etc. She was pretty loaded down.

The overall MPG for the trip that I kept track of (about 3/4 of the overall trip) was 43.8, not bad considering the load and how hard I pushed her in the mountains and on the twisties. I experienced octane levels from 86 to 94 and they did not seem to have much of an effect on MPG.

Offline So Cal Joe

Re: MPG on trip
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 07:54:31 AM »
70-80 on the interstate but go as high as 90. I got 50.2 MPG the first tank after I left Roswell NM also. Two lane flat straight rode with some towns.

Don't know how you got that much at those speeds. Must of had a tail wind and going downhill.  ::)

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 08:01:55 AM »
For a pre-2010 bike that sounds good.  I regularly get well over 50 - and often over 55 on my 2010 on straight/flat riding.  Best I've gotten over a 100+ mile run is 58.  That is in ECO mode of course.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 08:27:15 AM »
If you can keep it below 80, you can get some pretty decent mileage in eco mode on the 2010 (and 2011 I guess.)  The bike reverts to the rich map above 80 mph, for some odd reason.

My best mileage on a long trip was 52 mpg a couple weeks ago.  It seems like these bikes are hugely affected by temperature.  Mileage seems to go to hell when the temperature drops.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 09:04:49 AM »
I never see below 80, and with the huge top-box and a huge cee baily's I consistantly see 43-44 MPG on the road in ECO mode.

I'm keeping it bone stock.

Although my HONDA gets 60 MPG. I've been riding it lately, even in the city

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Son of Pappy

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 09:49:29 AM »
And just think, this bike is marketed at 36MPG!!  The miracles of KiPASS continue 8)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 10:10:29 AM »
42-43 average in ECO mode for me. I have seen as high as 50 but that is under 70 mph and cruise control for most of the tank. Your mileage is quite good for a pre-10 without ECO mode.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 10:11:08 AM »
On a trip west (3K miles) I averaged just about 40 MPH but it would have been a little bit higher had I not run into strong headwinds in the middle of the country; mileage dropped to a low of 30.9 (indicated) for that portion of the trip. The bike was also loaded down pretty well, and I spent the entire trip between 72 MPH and 82 MPH.

My bike is an '08, 'flies removed, using a PC III with a modified map. The map is a bit more rich than the economy map but close in small throttle openings (cruising throttle openings).

Brian

I kept track of my gas purchases from Ocala Fl to Alaska and back to Big Spring Tx. After my mishap in Tx I gave up but thought some of you maybe interested in what I found. Highest MPG was 51.6 on interstate leaving Fl and Ga (ridden this part of country many times so just trying to put it behind me). I ride around 70-80 on the interstate but go as high as 90. I got 50.2 MPG the first tank after I left Roswell NM also. Two lane flat straight rode with some towns.

<snip>

The overall MPG for the trip that I kept track of (about 3/4 of the overall trip) was 43.8, not bad considering the load and how hard I pushed her in the mountains and on the twisties. I experienced octane levels from 86 to 94 and they did not seem to have much of an effect on MPG.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 10:12:54 AM »
I never see below 80, and with the huge top-box and a huge cee baily's I consistantly see 43-44 MPG on the road in ECO mode.

I'm keeping it bone stock.

Although my HONDA gets 60 MPG. I've been riding it lately, even in the city

Is that for the enduro in the pic? That's really good. My Suzuki DR650 gets between 40-45 mpg.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 12:03:50 PM »
Yes sir, its the enduro. I get that gas great mileage idling around town keeping RPMs uber-low.  On the freeway, or on the single track tough stuff in play mode, I'm lucky to get 45.

The DR650 is a sweet sweet bike too
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Just Krusen

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 12:34:42 PM »
My first 122 miles on my '11 used 2.5 gallons for 48 mpg.  I went 220 miles on the second tank using 5.0 gallons for 44 mpg.  Both were mixed riding with lots of up and down for break in.  Used ECO on both tanks.  The third tank I am riding without ECO on just to see the difference.

Not bad for a new bike I thought. 

Ed Kruse
Naples FL
'02 GL1800 ABS
'11 Concours 14

Offline PH14

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 12:48:50 PM »
I usually get around 41-45 on trips. That is on a 2009 and is figured by dividing the mileage between fill-ups by the number of gallons needed to fill the tank, not the trip computer. I get that whether or not I am going cross country or riding here in Pennsylvania. Sport riding though the twisties is a completely different story. It is nice though to be able to get that kind of mileage on the road though. I am not pushing a barn door windshield though, I have a CalSci and it is one of their smaller models, I believe it is a +4.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 12:50:41 PM »
And just think, this bike is marketed at 36MPG!!  The miracles of KiPASS continue 8)

Thanks, this is the 127th miracle of KiPass I've seen documented thus far

valkmc

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 02:02:24 PM »
70-80 on the interstate but go as high as 90. I got 50.2 MPG the first tank after I left Roswell NM also. Two lane flat straight rode with some towns.

Don't know how you got that much at those speeds. Must of had a tail wind and going downhill.  ::)

Coming out of Roswell I had a huge wind at my back, when the road curved enough the wind was a cross wind and I had to ride leaning into it. The interstate MPG over 50 was in Fl and GA and was completely flat and around 95 degrees.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 03:51:39 PM »
Coming out of Roswell I had a huge wind at my back, when the road curved enough the wind was a cross wind and I had to ride leaning into it. The interstate MPG over 50 was in Fl and GA and was completely flat and around 95 degrees.

I went through there on my recent X-country trip looking for aliens. The nice ladies there explained there were no aliens, but its no secret they do have a spaceship

Offline AirplaneTim

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 03:56:28 PM »
When I switched back to the stock short windshield and replaced the old battleaxes for PR3's , I saw my mpg on my commute jump from right on 40mpg to closer to 45mpg.  And I know I've been riding more aggressively since I made the change because I have more faith in the new tires.  Most of my 35 mile commute is either stoplights every half mile for about 5 miles or it is nearly straight low rolling hills.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 04:59:32 PM »
When I was breaking the bike in, I saw 40 something. I've never seen the high side of 36 since. ;)

Monster bikes eat monster fuel. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Behindbars

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 10:14:52 AM »
I usually get anywhere from 36-39mpg. But I also weigh about 310lbs. Wish the tank was about a gallon larger.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 10:26:40 AM »
Wish the tank was about a gallon larger.

I agree, another gallon or 2 would be nice.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2020, 06:21:03 AM »
And just think, this bike is marketed at 36MPG!!

I just ran across this type of number again in an old review comparing a K1600 that was confirming it and every time I see it, I am surprised.  Searched for a "MPG" thread just to reconfirm how crazy it is.

https://ridermagazine.com/2011/11/22/2012-bmw-k-1600-gt-vs-2011-kawasaki-concours-14-road-test
They claim "(high/avg/low) 37.3/33.5/31.4" was their observed/tested values, and that is including using FEAM half the time!

I have never had an average MPG anywhere near as low as 36, regardless of temp, weight, riding style, anything.  I went back through my notes and, unfortunately, couldn't find where I logged anything PRIOR to it being Guhl reflashed or Shoodaben reflashed.  So now I don't really know how much the MPG was influenced by reflashing.  I do recall many saying their MPG improved significantly, regardless of which flash.  My observations over the years are 44, 42, 42.6, 41.1 with Ghul, and 44.7, 44.2, 47.7, 42 with Shoodaben.  This is Gen2, without ever using FEAM, always high octane, and typically a mix of mostly highway and some sporty/city riding.

I don't care about MPG much, except as how it influences range.  Claimed 36MPG is a range of only 212 miles.  But at my average 45MPG it is 265 miles (running it almost dry) and that is quite a difference.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc