Author Topic: Z rated tire ?  (Read 5177 times)

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
Z rated tire ?
« on: November 30, 2016, 09:04:18 AM »
I haven't been here for a while as my Connie is the way I want it and I just ride anymore.
I was in the need of new tires and was going to get a set of Michelin PR4s. In my searching I found a place with some PR3s. That's what I've been running last few years and they are about $100 less than PR4s.
They are ordered but I was looking at the order and the rear is only listed as 190/55R-17. Most other listings have the Z rating. Does Michelin have PR3s both Z rated and other speed ratings? I rarely see the north side of 120 anymore but I'd still prefer the implied safety cushion of a Z rating.

Thanks, Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Z rated tire ?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 10:21:32 AM »
Typo I think. Michelin list all 12 sizes of the PR3 as ZR rated.

http://moto.michelin.com/DC/en/tyres/products/pilot-road-3.html

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 11:34:59 AM »
realistically, even if there was other rating for these particular tyres (there isn't), you're on the safe side. The Z rating if for riding at 240 km/h (149 mph).
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 12:50:42 PM »
I knew I had a picture of this somewhere. But there it is >167 mph

Offline basmntdweller

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 01:05:54 PM »
Thanks guys!
It didn't make sense that they'd have several different ratings for the same line of tires but I thought I'd check!

Matt

Now just get them in house and set up a time to get them mounted. I need to put a new battery in my front TPS while they're off.
'09 C14
'98 DR-350

Offline rrsperry

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 09:31:37 AM »
My only concern with the PR3 is how old it might be. It would be interesting to see the date code.
No matter where you go, there you are...

Offline basmntdweller

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 09:37:59 AM »
My only concern with the PR3 is how old it might be. It would be interesting to see the date code.

After delivery, the paperwork stated it was a discontinued '14 model. I have not looked for the date code yet.
It's still way better than my current rear tire. I got a flat mid summer and had to put the old original '09 Bridgestone back on. Wife had been out of work for almost a year and didn't want to spend the $$$ for a new tire.

Out of curiosity, any good ideas on supporting the bike and removing both wheels?

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 09:46:31 AM »
After delivery, the paperwork stated it was a discontinued '14 model. I have not looked for the date code yet.

Out of curiosity, any good ideas on supporting the bike and removing both wheels?

Matt

I just do one at a time on the center stand. To do the front, I put some weight on the luggage rack such that it becomes very light. Then a floor jack just under the oil pan near the oil filter. Obviously you do not want to put much force on the pan but if you properly counter weight the rear it can be done with minimal force. I suppose you could do this for both tires. Put on center stand, remove rear, add weight to luggage rack (I have metal aftermarket rack and have use ratchet strap to 5 gal bucket of cement to actually jack up the front, but with the rear tire off, you would even need more force), then remove front. Also would have to be careful that once the front wheel is off, the weight didn't cause the whole thing to topple backward.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 01:49:50 PM »

I put it on the center stand and remove the rear wheel, then I put a jack under the headers and give it an easy lift. Even with the rear wheel off I could just lift the front (by hand) and have an assistant slide some blocks of wood underneath. I do have a top case on and a heavy tool bag in one of the side cases so that seems to be counter balance enough for my bike. Doing it this way allows the front wheel to go high enough that there is no need to remove the front fender. I always put the front wheel back on first. The whole thing is fairly stable, but the first time I did it I had doubts and put a strap around the center stand going up around the oil filter to ensure that he center stand couldn't fold up and drop the whole thing on the floor.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 02:07:26 PM »
I use a front end stand and the center stand.  Works nicely.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline O.C.

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 03:42:03 AM »
I use a front end stand and the center stand.  Works nicely.

Likewise, is it ok to lift under the headers, as there was a time when they were known to become loose and in need of re-tightening...would it be better to lift under the sump/oil pan for example ?
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 04:23:32 AM »
I've done that in the past, I think, but I had a wood block under it to make it even.  The front end stand wasn't very expensive but works a treat..

I have one like this..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/motorcycle-stand-black-front-and-rear-swingarm-spool-wheel-lift-universal-bike-/381740259685?hash=item58e17e1965:g:MusAAOSwgApXCczL&vxp=mtr
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline basmntdweller

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 05:07:33 AM »
I've done that in the past, I think, but I had a wood block under it to make it even.  The front end stand wasn't very expensive but works a treat..

I have one like this..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/motorcycle-stand-black-front-and-rear-swingarm-spool-wheel-lift-universal-bike-/381740259685?hash=item58e17e1965:g:MusAAOSwgApXCczL&vxp=mtr

For $56 for both front and rear can't hardly not buy a set! I've wanted a set but the times I've looked the ones I had found were around $100 each front and rear.
VirginiaJim, do you have this particular set or do these just look like yours?

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350

Offline O.C.

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2016, 06:35:55 AM »
That's a real good deal Jim

I use one of these which works well in conjunction with the bikes main stand

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-Tools-04991-MCPL1-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Scissor-Stand-Lift-450Kg-Capacity-/201094667457?hash=item2ed22d1cc1:g:UrkAAOSwbqpTs-yF   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2016, 12:40:33 PM »

I have one like this..

I'm going to get me one of those!