Author Topic: Octane for mountains  (Read 9847 times)

Offline gggGary

• Wisconsin heart of the great white north
Re: Octane for mountains
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2015, 06:51:49 PM »
old guy story warning; back in about 1980 I rode a honda 750 dresser over a dirt pass from Yellowstone into Idaho the road was grease mud going down the Idaho side, 5mph feet down for 15-20 miles, had to stop at the first town and car wash it, and my legs, could no longer see what color the paint job was.  Must have been carrying 50 pounds of mud.  Enjoy Colorado, post pics?
08B 73.5K miles

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2015, 07:20:45 PM »
Wonder how 40 miles of dirt road coming into Crested Butte from the west will go?

Kebler Pass? You'll do fine, unless it's been raining. Could be some real slippery spots if it has.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2015, 09:11:28 PM »
We are leaving FrI day after next from Peoria to ride 1000 miles in Colorado. My 10 did fine, wondering how the C14 will tolerate the altitude.

Someone just told me you can't get high octane out there. Is he full of crap? I plan on still running 93 if possible. I've ridden on many, many road trips, just never at altitude on a C14.

Anyone with experience in this area?

Thanks.

I live at 8,600' in central Colorado. I normally ride between 6,500' and 12,000'. My C14 runs fine. The electronics take care of everything. The only minor issue is a bit of decel popping out of my Area P exhaust.

There is plenty of high octane, but it is kind of a waste of money given the reduced compression pressures here. I have never used anything but regular in my '11 C14.

Have fun. Make sure you make Independence Pass and Loveland Pass.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2015, 05:53:29 AM »
Have fun. Make sure you make Independence Pass and Loveland Pass.

Those are on the agenda.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2015, 05:55:59 AM »
What about Wolf Creek pass?
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2015, 05:57:35 AM »
... Enjoy Colorado, post pics?

Here's one of my best pics ever, look how clear this is!  Stopped at a gas station in Independence CA during a 3k ride in California last year.  These pics were takem before riding the road in the picture below.  I'm facing west, going to take a picture of the Sierra Nevadas to my west when a pretty girl walks by me on the way to the bathroom. When she walks out, this conversation takes place.

Me: You know what would this picture of the mountains even better?

Her: No, what?

Me: You in it.

Her: (poses for 3 pictures while her boyfriend steams in the background).

Click to make larger.

My friend on the curve, desert floor thousands of feet below him in the background
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2015, 06:03:03 AM »