Author Topic: Windows 8.1  (Read 5223 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Windows 8.1
« on: February 09, 2014, 04:08:47 AM »
Ok I realize this could be a really controversial subject (maybe should have put it in the Arena) but I'm actually starting to like it. The key is you have to have a touch screen. I pulled the trigger on a Lenovo Yoga 2 laptop that the keyboard flips to the back to become a big tablet. I have a win 8 desktop that I use Start 8 utility that makes the desktop in win 8 work exactly like win 7. I absolutely hated the win 8 interface with a mouse driven desktop. But with this touch screen laptop/tablet I am finding I use the desktop much less and the win 8 interface more.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Windows 8.1
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 08:14:11 AM »
I actually don't mind it.  I'm running 8.1 and tend to use the 'normal' desktop for the most part but I actually like the tile system.  Unfortunately I can't get it to connect outbound for some reason.  The normal desktop works fine.  Oh well.  8.2 is coming out in the spring and the rumors are that it will fix some things.  We'll see. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 02:37:34 PM »
I have it on my surface pro 2. But I also have it on my desktop. I have dual boot win 7 and win 8.1 thinking I may not like win 8.1. But I rarely every go to win 7 anymore. I use the app view for music, Netflix, and all other lazy stuff. For the serious stuff such as coding, gaming, etc, I am in desktop mode. Personally, I honestly do not see the fuss about mouse driven - I find it quite good with mouse swipes to switch apps, programs, and use the search feature for anything I do not have pinned.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 09:28:00 PM »
The only trouble I have with the touch screen is it cannot emulate left button down hold and move mouse. And there are some apps and web sites that absolutely require that.

Offline leyenda30

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 08:29:31 AM »
As Jim said rumor of 8.2 has it that it will boot to destop and include a real start menu. MS approached this a@@ backwards in that they should have made win8 like win 7 but add the metro as a special extra rather than stuffing all the changes down our throat in one go. That way they would have come out the hero and metro would be more palatable.  There are some nice features once you get used to it. I just hate hunting for things that were second nature with the start menu.  JP
08 Kawasaki Concours
05 Honda VTX
07 Husky SM610 sold

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 09:28:05 AM »
As Jim said rumor of 8.2 has it that it will boot to destop and include a real start menu. MS approached this a@@ backwards in that they should have made win8 like win 7 but add the metro as a special extra rather than stuffing all the changes down our throat in one go. That way they would have come out the hero and metro would be more palatable.  There are some nice features once you get used to it. I just hate hunting for things that were second nature with the start menu.  JP

For $4.99 you can get that now: http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/
I've been using it on a Win 8 for over a year now. On my desktop I never see the metro interface.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 09:30:58 AM »
That's what I'm using now..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 09:35:28 AM »
That's what I'm using now..

+1 If someone else were to work on my desktop they would never suspect it wasn't a Win 7 machine unless they happen  to put the cursor in the lower right corner.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 11:14:44 AM »
For $4.99 you can get that now: http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/
I've been using it on a Win 8 for over a year now. On my desktop I never see the metro interface.

Or for free by using Classic shell.

I also love Windows 8 on my Surface and Venue 8 Pro.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 12:15:25 PM »
I actually don't mind it.  I'm running 8.1 and tend to use the 'normal' desktop for the most part but I actually like the tile system.  Unfortunately I can't get it to connect outbound for some reason.  The normal desktop works fine.  Oh well.  8.2 is coming out in the spring and the rumors are that it will fix some things.  We'll see.

Windows has been fixing Windows since DOS
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Son of Pappy

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 01:38:26 PM »
Windows has been fixing Windows since DOS
DOS 6.1, the ultimate solution.

Offline leyenda30

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 10:34:13 AM »
Using the Classic Shell now...all is better...ahhh.  Thanks JP
08 Kawasaki Concours
05 Honda VTX
07 Husky SM610 sold

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 12:23:10 PM »
I just got a small acer laptop. Windows 8. Cannot access websites in IE or Chrome. Chrome will let me access gmail and I can use google to search but will not connect with any websites. Can't find anything and don't know where to look in Win 8.
Any ideas?

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 01:20:01 PM »
I use Classic shell on PC's I have built for other people. It makes the transition from Win7 to Win8 much easier.
I  find Win8.1 very stable but hard to get around at first. It takes some getting used to.

gPink, Do you have any anti- virus programs running? More specifically anti Malware programs?
Try turning those off and test.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 01:36:49 PM »
Mike, I think it's a conflict with this pos McAfee software that came preinstalled. I did a system restore and It's operating at the moment. I think I'll uninstall McAfee and see if it helps. Thanks

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2014, 01:52:40 PM »
I am not a big fan of Norton or McAfee.  Try Avast. It is free and works well.
I have the same bike  MMVIII C XIV   8)
A lot of people do not know where the words 'The Ivy League' comes from.
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2014, 04:17:52 PM »
I'm running Avast on my xp machine at work. I'll try it here. IV would be the original 4 schools wouldn't it?

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2014, 05:12:27 PM »
Ivy League is a collection of 8 private colleges (or universities). All located in the northeast US.

They could also be called P.S. due to the princely sum it takes to attend them, save scholarships of course.

Brian

I'm running Avast on my xp machine at work. I'll try it here. IV would be the original 4 schools wouldn't it?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2014, 06:51:43 PM »
Make sure that your network type is not private.  If so, that can cause network connectivity issues to the outside world.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2014, 08:15:50 PM »
Ivy League is a collection of 8 private colleges (or universities). All located in the northeast US.

They could also be called P.S. due to the princely sum it takes to attend them, save scholarships of course.

Brian
The first four  universities were : University of Pennsylvania - ‎Dartmouth College - ‎Brown University - ‎Yale University =    IV     Some people dont get the IV and called it Ivy League   instead of The  I V league

I like that   MMVIII C XIV  =  2008  C14