Author Topic: Wit and humor  (Read 3241 times)

Son of Pappy

Wit and humor
« on: May 01, 2012, 12:05:31 PM »
So, got my notice today, due to the back not fully healing I have been given notice that Friday will be my last day.  So, where does the wit and humor come in?  Since I will be working for real I won't be around a keyboard as much so I will be relying on Jay (ZG) to pick up the slack.  When I'm not out doing work I will be riding or teaching MSF or dirt bike classes, if I aint doing that I'll be out riding.  So, do I feel any remorse over the loss of my job?  Yes and no, I do love what I do, but I also love working on the property, this will free up some time to earn a little sweat equity.  I also plan on making chicken coops, don't laugh, do a google on what they go for!  I'll also make storage sheds, seems folks don't know how to hammer together 2x4s and plywood anymore.

Just for shits and giggles, go look in the mirror, ask yourself if you're happy.  If the answer is no, ask yourself what would make you happy, then develop a plan to get happy, never rely on anyone else for your happiness, you will be sorely dissapointed.

Peace to all,

Chet

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Wit and humor
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 12:26:53 PM »
You'll miss us when you're gone. Enjoy and check in from time to time.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 12:50:31 PM »
God bless ya Chet.  My plan is to be self employed in five years.  I used to love my job, times have changed, now its just a paycheck.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 12:50:54 PM »
Wow Chet, I'm sorry to hear this.  :(

Why such short notice by your employer? Had you known that it was coming?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 01:57:39 PM »
Wow!  How quick life changes.  I stopped in at the motorcycle school so they knew I would be more available.  I got offered a job managing the off road school!!!  We will discuss pay as soon as we nail duties down.  Let's just call it a dream job.  After I left I returned a missed call, it was another job offer, doing what I do now, more pay, and flexibility.  I know what my heart wants but the pay will be considerably less.  Do I let my fantasy job slip away?  Really tough choice.
Please weigh in, I truly do value your opinions.

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 02:14:49 PM »
  Depends on how long you plan on living. Short time, take the dream job. Plan on living a long time, take the  most money and sock some away for when you get old!!

'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Son of Pappy

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 02:30:33 PM »
Been doing the sock thing most of my life, definately the smart thing.  But to get paid to ride a bike?  In places I have aways wanted to.visit?  I feel like a rags to riches story.

Offline Stasch

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 02:54:44 PM »
Chet, Not an easy decision.

I've worked in business for myself and also worked for others.  Currently in a combination of working full time for someone else - doing some business stuff on the side part time.

For me its a trade off.  I am truly happier being on my own.  The flexibility is awesome and the sense of satisfaction in what you do is a nice perk.

The golden handcuffs (health insurance, retirement contributions and such) keep me working for someone else.  I debate with myself about the same issue you are asking about every month or so. 

The bennies cost an arm and a leg to provide on one's own.

Summary:

On my own:  happier but more pressure to provide for everything needed and definitely more paperwork for the gov't.

Working for others:  Not as happy with it - bennies are good and some of those other pressures go away.

In the end, you have to decide if given your current situation, whether the 'good' job vs. other issues of working for others is worth it to you.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 02:58:38 PM »
Hmmm... tough choice indeed.  :-\

I'd opt for the job that pays more $ so that as M1 mentioned someday you can retire hopefully earlier. The fun job sounds like fun for sure, but if it means you have to work an additional 10 years I'd opt for the $ now and fun later...

I'm sure you'll make the right decision Chet that is best for you and your situation, wish you all the best bro!  :chugbeer:

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 03:03:40 PM »
One thing I have going for me is my military retirement and associated disability.  I ain't broke and the sock isn't empty.  I need a coupla more years all will be ready.  Makes the choice that much more challenging.

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 04:43:46 PM »
We cant offer any advice.  Both options have their plusses and their minusses.  What trips your trigger the best?

Good luck.
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 05:13:02 PM »
Live life to the fullest. Go get paid to ride a motorcycle.  :hail: :chugbeer:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 07:30:03 PM by Gumbi »

Offline koval68

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 06:16:38 PM »
Whatever you do,don’t look back. You’ll miss what’s in front of you.
Good luck,Chet!
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 06:41:33 PM »
3 years ago I made a bunch of money, hated my job, and life wasn't fun.  Now, I make 3/8 of what I did 3 years ago and 3/4 of what I could make doing my new job 40 miles closer to home.  However, the only way my life could be better now is to have 2 Connies in the garage.  IMHO - Do what you love.  Life isn't about the money. 

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline Snibbor

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 08:36:18 PM »
There is no promise of tomorrow.  If you can afford it, do what you love today.  I too have quit a better paying job to be happier.  It's worth it.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 09:56:12 PM »
Heads still realing, I'll do the smart thing and let reason take it's course, if I had to choose today I'd be looking at a GS650 or 800 fully dressed to travel, or maybe a pumpkin bike ;D  I do know this, if I get offerd %60 of what I made at my last gig I'm riding every trail in front of me :)  Wanna know the bonus?  The WA BDR ends just 15 miles North of my retirement property, great place for an end camp and in an area just begging for more DS/ADV training. 
Here's a link to give ya'll an idea of what I'm drooling over,  http://advcamp.com/adv-camps

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 03:58:50 AM »
Chet, is this a year around gig? Looks like a dream job.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 07:26:56 AM »
Sure is.  Another really nice thing is I can supplement this with street classes and that pay isn't all that shabby.  I just dont want to do the same thing in the same location on a routine basis.  Although I crave routine, I really dislike repitition from an instructor standpoint and embrace change (real change, not some slogan) ;D

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 07:47:22 AM »
I enjoy Work so I can Ride.  And work is far enough (>37 miles) that the Ride is nice.

Kind of the golden handcuffs scenario.  Could get a business job in town and commute in a cage for higher wages.

Not right for me now.
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 08:28:54 AM »
Two years ago I applied for a job that would have given me experience in a completely different line of business, but with less pay. I did that because I was not quite happy where I worked. When the time came to switch over, I talked to my boss and I got a promotion and money, that made the pay difference between the new and old (current) job by about 20k a year. Needless to say, I opted to stay put with more money (and living only 2 miles away AND having the option to work from anywhere). Now my current company is in bit of financial pickle...somehow regretting not jumping over to ther job 2 years ago inspite of that high of a pay reduction and having to commute 40 miles one way each day.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14