Author Topic: Snowstorm 5 Feb. 2014  (Read 15761 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Snowstorm 5 Feb. 2014
« on: February 04, 2014, 03:10:43 PM »
Coming almost exactly on the anniversary of the Blizzard of '78, which dropped 54" of snow in northern RI. Brought the entire northeast US to a standstill. Can't tell how much this one will dump on is 'cause the forecasters keep moving the snowfall region lines; if they would bring the lines up just a tiny bit, we would get mostly rain.  >:(  At the moment, it is calling for somewhere between 3" and 8", which will be on top of the 5 or 6" we got yesterday. Looks like I will have to leave the Kawasaki and take the Honda. Not that KiPass won't save the day either way....

But the Honda has tracks and they just work so much better in the snow than the best Michelin has to offer.

I know this is not a lot of snow for you guys in the snowbelt but it is a fairly big storm for us; we normally measure our snow in inches, not feet. :-)

No matter, plenty of wood (easy boys!) on the porch, generator and snow blower standing by so I should be able to dig out of this while keeping Kirby in the manner he has been accustomed to, which is dry, warm and watching TV.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Snowstorm 5 Feb. 2014
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 03:15:06 PM »
 It's snow and freezing rain here and headed your way. Enjoy.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 03:17:00 PM »
Just rain here based on the temps...hopefully.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 03:28:00 PM »
Freezing rain, sleet, and snow here in Tulsa today, too Brian.

Lousy groundhog..........  >:(

Bob
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 03:33:18 PM »
Hey Tulsa, welcome to the forum.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 03:44:58 PM »
Temps plummeted here in WA State, a nice brisk 30 this AM, still brrrrrrrrr at 35 :o

Brian, I can send you some more hoofs for added traction on the Kawi ;)

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 03:51:05 PM »
Hey Tulsa, welcome to the forum.

Thanks!

(Sadly, I have to agree with your sig...)
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 04:35:37 PM »
Thanks, and don't tell anybody, but the tracks on the Honda trump even Mr. Elkhoof, at least without the rest of the elk attached to him (it). Honda has made a near- perfect snow blower, although also near affordable. I got lucky and caught one a few years old (they do not change for years at a clip so it was the same as what was being sold new) that was as- new but at a used price. As someone once said, it is not a snowblower, it is a snow- hurling weapon :-)

Temps. here are 27 going to hold at 25: virtually perfect snowing weather and it leaves that dense, easily packed, 'heart attack' snow behind rather than the light, fluffy stuff we get at lower temps.

It won't be so bad here as I am well outside of anything even close to urban but I gotta' feel for the folks in NYC, Boston, et al. 'cause they just cannot deal with the snow very well and it cripples big cities. I guess the really great news is that these two storms (yesterday and tomorrow) are occurring just one DAY after the Super Bowl! That would have been spectacularly bad if either one or both hit before / during the game.

Brian

Temps plummeted here in WA State, a nice brisk 30 this AM, still brrrrrrrrr at 35 :o

Brian, I can send you some more hoofs for added traction on the Kawi ;)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 04:38:28 PM »
Been snowing off and on here since Friday. But not 54". We did get that once in 97. The drift on the deck completely covered the sliding glass doors. Couldn't even see daylight. Stay warm Brian!

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 05:27:11 PM »

Lousy groundhog..........  >:(

Modify the spices a tad....

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Son of Pappy

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 05:39:59 PM »
As odd as this will sound from the great Pacific Northwet-we need more of anything wet related or else it's going to be a nasty Summer.  Lake is easily 3 feet lower than the norm, front pond is at June levels and the back pond will have a hard time supporting a smallish sized bull frog.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 06:05:58 PM »
87 here  :o
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 09:14:09 PM »
Geez what a bunch of weenies. We haven't been above 20 for a couple of weeks here in MN. Our snow banks are hard to see over. I don't bother hauling out my 8 hp Toro two stage unless there is at least 6 inches on the ground. Okay the worst part of snow in the city is the traffic but we have that dialed in too. Last Thursday it snowed  7 " during morning rush hour and the ride home was dry and normal speeds.  Atlanta we laugh at you.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 05:01:58 AM »
It's snowin and blowin here! Got about 8 inches of new snow on top of the 15 or so already down. The temps aren't bad, yet. 15f with a wind chill of zero. Going down to 10 below with the chill down to 25-30 below tonight.

I had to get up and shovel paths in the snow so that the dogs could get out and do their thing. Sookie, the snow dog, was out with me. She don't need no paths, she makes her own. Even when the snow is deeper than she is tall.   :)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 07:37:46 AM »
We got about a foot of snow last night, and it will be a high of 5 degrees today. This sux.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 09:01:57 AM »
-10 last night and I'm running out of room to push the snow.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 09:25:17 AM »
What's this stuff about snow? :P

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 03:02:52 PM »
What's this stuff about snow? :P

I think it looks something like this:

Sorry.

Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 03:42:23 PM »
I think it looks something like this:

Sorry.

Now that's just cruel.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 04:32:45 PM »
No snow here, but it was 19 when we butchered 2 pigs!!  Helped keep the stink down and no flys to deal with.