Author Topic: UView 550000 Coolant Tool  (Read 3404 times)

Offline KevinW

UView 550000 Coolant Tool
« on: August 03, 2011, 11:05:49 PM »
Wondering if anybody has used this tool to purge air from their system during a coolant change. A lot of good reviews on it. A lot of the Goldwing guys use them. If so, does it work as advertised?

http://www.amazon.com/UView-550000-Airlift-Cooling-Checker/dp/B0002SRH5G

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: UView 550000 Coolant Tool
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 04:12:08 AM »
I've got it.  Can't use it on the bike unfortunately.  Not enough clearance to install it on the filler opening.  We've got too many bits in the way.  It sits way too tall on the filler neck.  Not a total loss, though.  I can use it on my other vehicles.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 05:39:50 AM »
Jim, any chance of putting a right angle adapter on it?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 06:01:58 AM »
Jim, any chance of putting a right angle adapter on it?

Someone might be able to fabricate something for it but the piece that fits in the filler neck is the tall one with the gauge on it.  Would probably need an adapter which adds more height.  Great idea, just won't work with our application.  If someone is eager enough they're welcome to come by and take a look at it in person.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 06:41:36 AM »
I have never used such a tool but I can report that I have changed my coolant 3 times and never had a problem with trapped air.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 08:18:06 AM »
I guess it's one of those things that you think can do the job that much better.  I haven't had any issues with coolant in mine either.  One of the gadget's features is it's ability to remove all the coolant (using vacuum).  It can also refill using vacuum.  It was featured on MCN sometime back.  I think I got it for that feature as we always have some coolant left using the regular drain technique.  After I found it didn't work with our bikes I stopped stressing over that leftover fluid.  I sure wasn't going to turn the bike upside down to get it all out... ;)

Offline KevinW

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 04:50:59 PM »
Thanks guys for the great info! I guess I'll have to find something else to buy for the bike. Anyone care to recommend a good Mity-Vac for the brakes & clutch? I'm looking at the MV-6830.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 04:54:37 PM »
That is just ridiculous, Jim. Everyone knows that you only have to turn the bike 90 degrees (lay it on its side) to drain all the coolant out of it....

;D

Brian

<snip>

I sure wasn't going to turn the bike upside down to get it all out... ;)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 04:55:34 PM »
That is just ridiculous, Jim. Everyone knows that you only have to turn the bike 90 degrees (lay it on its side) to drain all the coolant out of it....

;D

Brian

It's a little bit late for that, Brian...

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 05:01:51 PM »
I bought one specifically for the C-14 (or the "no bleed" motorcycle as I like to call it). It is a fantastic tool and worth every single penny it costs in my opinion. For some reason the C-14 is very difficult to bleed, even with a hand- pumped vacuum tool. The MityVac you mention makes what used to be a very difficult and frustrating job absolutely effortless. It has another big advantage in that it makes brake and clutch bleeding much cleaner than using any other method, at least all the other methods I have tried. Usually bleeding the hydraulic systems on a motorcycle tends to spread the brake fluid around, at least a little bit but with this system there is no reason to spill any fluid at all including when you remove the hose from the caliper or slave cylinder (keep the vacuum on and it will such air into the hose rather than leak fluid out as it is detached).

Brian

Thanks guys for the great info! I guess I'll have to find something else to buy for the bike. Anyone care to recommend a good Mity-Vac for the brakes & clutch? I'm looking at the MV-6830.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com