Author Topic: Oil Pan Swap  (Read 2819 times)

Offline klb1122

Oil Pan Swap
« on: January 22, 2020, 07:49:06 PM »
After years of dealing with an oil leak, it's time to finally replace the oil pan on my 2008.  The new version oil pan should be here in a couple weeks along with the parts I'll be replacing with the swap.  I've searched around, but didn't find the answer to this:  is any gasket sealant necessary on the new gasket?  The service manual doesn't mention it, but I wanted to find out from those that have replaced their oil pan before. 

Also, if you encountered any issues or things to watch out for while performing the job, please let me know.  I've got it stripped down, exhaust fully off and ready to go, just need the new parts..

Offline Freddy

Re: Oil Pan Swap
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 05:09:56 AM »
No sealant, just a few blobs of grease to hold it in place on the sump.  I used Suzuki 1250 exh header. gaskets as they are much better quality and the same size.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline klb1122

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 07:26:32 AM »
No sealant, just a few blobs of grease to hold it in place on the sump.  I used Suzuki 1250 exh header. gaskets as they are much better quality and the same size.

Thank you!   8)

Offline klb1122

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 12:16:26 PM »

You mentioned the exhaust header gaskets, so I went back out into the garage and took a look.  I didn't even know they existed because my bike doesn't appear to have any.  There were none on the headers and I checked the exhaust ports and no sign of them there either.  This is the first time my headers have been removed also.  Weird.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 03:17:00 PM »
You mentioned the exhaust header gaskets, so I went back out into the garage and took a look.  I didn't even know they existed because my bike doesn't appear to have any.  There were none on the headers and I checked the exhaust ports and no sign of them there either.  This is the first time my headers have been removed also.  Weird.

I believe he was saying that instead of using "blobs of grease" on the sump, he used a single, old header gasket from SOME OTHER BIKE as an alternative.  It wasn't about C14 headers.  Of course, perhaps I misread it...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline klb1122

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 03:57:46 PM »
I believe he was saying that instead of using "blobs of grease" on the sump, he used a single, old header gasket from SOME OTHER BIKE as an alternative.  It wasn't about C14 headers.  Of course, perhaps I misread it...

Uh-oh, one of us misread, that's for sure.   ;D

Hopefully @Freddy can clear this up.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 04:49:48 PM »
A few blobs of grease to hold oil pan/sump gasket in place while lifting pan into place.

The Kaw header gaskets are a a thin copper covered ring which are poor quality IMO, but they are probably covered in soot and still in the exh ports and will need to be 'hooked' out.  Suzuki 1200/1250 exh rings are the same size and much more robust and seal better.  Chech ebay for them.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 05:49:43 PM »
Uh-oh, one of us misread, that's for sure.   ;D  Hopefully @Freddy can clear this up.

I guess it was me!  Thankfully, too, since it didn't make much sense to me :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline klb1122

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 06:36:23 PM »
A few blobs of grease to hold oil pan/sump gasket in place while lifting pan into place.

The Kaw header gaskets are a a thin copper covered ring which are poor quality IMO, but they are probably covered in soot and still in the exh ports and will need to be 'hooked' out.  Suzuki 1200/1250 exh rings are the same size and much more robust and seal better.  Chech ebay for them.

Perfect!  Thanks again!

Offline klb1122

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 06:37:21 PM »
I guess it was me!  Thankfully, too, since it didn't make much sense to me :)

;D  ;D  ;D

You had me laughing! 

Offline Freddy

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 06:05:12 AM »
A fellow rider down here has just discovered that his annoying oil leak is from the oil pressure switch - check that out.

Offline klb1122

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 12:42:31 PM »
A fellow rider down here has just discovered that his annoying oil leak is from the oil pressure switch - check that out.

Mine has been leaking for years.  Sad to say, I only ride it once or twice a year if I'm lucky.  A couple years back, I tore into it and determined I had a leak from the Exhaust Cam Position Sensor.  I thought all was good after that, but the leak continued.  Finally made time to dig into it this week.  The oil pan was a mess.  Cleaned it all up and let it sit for a day.  It's leaking out of this little ding, that was located directly above where the headers run under the oil pan.  Once it's fixed, I'll miss the smoke show after the bike warmed up.   :-[

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2020, 06:13:01 AM »
JB Weld should fix that.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2020, 06:56:10 AM »
JB Weld should fix that.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing :)

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2020, 11:21:05 AM »
LOL, I was thinking the same thing :)
Ditto.  I read that and thought “JB weld that Schmidt!” 
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2020, 02:08:28 PM »
Ditto.  I read that and thought “JB weld that Schmidt!” 

Quite possibly/probably will work, but then having a less exposed drain plug wouldn't be gained (assuming that the replacement is the updated one.)

Offline klb1122

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2020, 05:28:14 PM »
Quite possibly/probably will work, but then having a less exposed drain plug wouldn't be gained (assuming that the replacement is the updated one.)

Ding ding ding!  Half of the reason I'm doing it is to have the newer design pan with the plug not exposed. 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2020, 06:13:32 PM »
That would be an excellent reason.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2020, 06:08:46 AM »
That would be an excellent reason.

Agreed.

I will add that a few weeks ago I did something stupid... I went directly over a large speed bump, something I almost never do.  With my C14 lowered, this was not a good idea.  It whacked the oil pan or something under there.  Thankfully there was no damage this time, but it quickly reminded me that there are things under there that are vulnerable.  Had it been a gen 1, I might have been stranded...

Offline klb1122

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2020, 11:42:49 AM »
Well, parts came in and I finally had a chance to start working on the swap last night.  Everything went fine, as far as I know, but I didn't realize I would also need the "PIPE,OIL FILTER Part# 32033-1535".  I tried to get the one out of the old oil pan, and I'm not sure how it's possible.  I tried a few different things, and ended up messing up the threads a bit, so I quit and just ordered a new one.  Luckily it's in stock, so it shouldn't take too long to get here.  Once I get that in I can fill it with oil to make sure there are no leaks, then put the rest back together. 

Anyone have a similar experience with that part?  I'm a little worried about being able to tighten the new piece when I get it without messing up the threads.