Author Topic: Laguna Seca MotoGP trip  (Read 1404 times)

Offline Slideways

Laguna Seca MotoGP trip
« on: July 22, 2013, 10:55:31 AM »
It was a l-o-n-g day starting at 5:30am feet up and throttle on. Met my buddy and his wife on his Gizzer Glide and off we were. Started in Camarillo, CA and took the 101 freeway all the way up to Salinas. As freeways go the 101 along the California coast up to Santa Barbara is hard to beat on an uncrowded Sunday morning especially when there are lots of like minded motorcyclists headed your way. My buddy likes a smell-the-roses pace which does mean sight seeing is better as you spend less time looking for Johnny Law. I wish I was a better writer, better able to decribe the rolling terrain with hills covered in vineyards in wine country and glimpses of the ocean here and there. Some days I as I look upon some special view as I ride through the beauty of California I think to myself, "I live here!"

First stop was San Luis Obispo for gas then breakfast at the Apple Farm restaurant which is a worthwhile stop near the freeway. Back on the road and through more wine country and then the big expanses of agriculture as the turn off at Salinas approaches.

Once off the 101 the stream of motorcycles changes to a flood. The motorcycles are routed onto a separate road, sent through the bumpy beat-up old roads of Fort Ord to finally arrive at the dirt parking lot. On big bikes the parking lot can be a challenge. Off camber, loose gravel and silty 'moon dust' a couple of inches deep. I swear somewhere is a guy who bought an adventure bike just for that once a year parking exercise.

The race, the crowds, the vendors, the girls, the noise, the Red Bull stunt chopper, the girls, Ducati Island, the expensive beer, the lousy food, did I mention the girls. Well all that is well documented all over the net so I am not going to cover it. I did spend an hour in the AVA Velocity Works booth lending a hand to my friends there as it was day three for them and they were beat. I have been getting involved with these guys because they are a great bunch and are launching what will be a very cool (understatement) motorcycle. Parked ourselves on a hill above turn one and was next to a fellow from Pennsylvania who has been to the races every year for thirty years! even when the MotoGP was not running he still came for the AMA racing. You meet some very interesting folks at the races. Check out the bike I mentioned at http://www.avavelocityworks.com.

It was time to go but a walk through the parking lot just to look a all those bikes should be must do. More wiggley slippin'n slidin' getting out again but I didn't see anybody tipped over. Took the coast highway through Monterey down to Cambria. Here again I lack the skills to adequately describe this ride. It was my first time ever and I was not prepared for how amazing the whole Big Sur, Carmel et all along that ride are. Stopped for a bite in Carmel at the Rocky Point Restaurant which as an unbelievable view. In the parking lot of the restaurant was Terry Hershner who rode a Zero Electric motorcycle across the country, interesting guy.

I could go on and on but will spare you. The ride was a personal best for me in that I got in 598 miles in one day. I know, I know that's nuttin compared to some but it was a long day for me.
If it can't be fixed with a hammer you can sure as hell teach it a lesson.
2008 ABS, Area P full system, Power Commander, Skene Design, Canyon Cages (personally tested, don't ask), Sargent low saddle, Tamer throttle tube, Cee Bailey Euro Tour, bar risers, Throttlemeister, Tech Spec,

Offline dannyboy

Re: Laguna Seca MotoGP trip
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 05:06:00 PM »
I and my son just rode from LA to San Fran, mostly on the 1 and stayed in Santa Cruz, and JUST missed the GPO. Hotel rooms were crazy, were there Friday night the 19th, in some crap hole called the Oceana. Wished I could've seen that racing, but alas, had to move along and get to San Francisco.